$400 Budget, Looking for a gaming headset (PC / PS4 / Switch) and amp if it makes a big difference

M

moco64

Audiophyte
Hey everyone, I have a $400 budget and mostly game on my PS4 and Nintendo Switch and some on the PC, but will probably start watching movies if the headset is good enough, I listen to music every once in a while.
I'm looking for a headset with surround sound, not sure if rumble is a gimmick or drives the price up it would be nice but it's not needed.

Also, I'm not sure if getting an amp makes a serious impact on the sound, so if it does, please keep that in the budget. If I have to, I'll get an amp further down the line. Finally, the headset does not need to have a mic attached, If I can buy a mic and have it work with my ps4 and the headset I buy, I'll do that. I'm looking for closed back versions, unless open really adds to the experience.

Thanks a lot in advance, links are very welcome.

wseroyer

wseroyer

Audiophyte
go to massdrop and check out the Sennheiser PC37x, this is probably the best Gaming headset available since most of them are made by gaming companies and not headphone makers, also its on sale for $100 If you want something better the HIFIMAN HE4xx planar magnetic headphone with a modmic would be a great choice. Or the Sennheiser 58x or 6xx. I use the 6xx but its a bit lacking in sound stage and bass and its an open back

also check out Z-Reviews he has a good video on gaming headsets and he does nothing but Headphone, Headphone amp, and speaker reviews, he's reviewed 100s of headphones and speakers and is a no BS guy, he's all about good sound for good value.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
go to massdrop and check out the Sennheiser PC37x, this is probably the best Gaming headset available since most of them are made by gaming companies and not headphone makers, also its on sale for $100 If you want something better the HIFIMAN HE4xx planar magnetic headphone with a modmic would be a great choice. Or the Sennheiser 58x or 6xx. I use the 6xx but its a bit lacking in sound stage and bass and its an open back

also check out Z-Reviews he has a good video on gaming headsets and he does nothing but Headphone, Headphone amp, and speaker reviews, he's reviewed 100s of headphones and speakers and is a no BS guy, he's all about good sound for good value.
Lacking in sound stage, like how? These are one of the best headphones for staging on the price range.

You don't want headset but separate headphones and mic. I don't know how things work with PS4 how ever so you have to do the work there. What I would look for is Sennheiser HD598/599 with ModMic. HD600/HD6XX are great too but would benefit from amp. You could get MASSDROP O2 + SDAC DAC/AMP but that would stretch your budget. I would get open back as they offer more accurate sound but then you will hear what happens around you and others might hear what you hear. For closed back Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm would be solid as well.

Edit: and don't fall for the "surround" sound as it is mostly only a marketing trick. Good quality headphones will give you the "surround" feel in games if the sounds in games support it.

wseroyer

wseroyer

Audiophyte
Lacking in sound stage, like how? These are one of the best headphones for staging on the price range.

You don't want headset but separate headphones and mic. I don't know how things work with PS4 how ever so you have to do the work there. What I would look for is Sennheiser HD598/599 with ModMic. HD600/HD6XX are great too but would benefit from amp. You could get MASSDROP O2 + SDAC DAC/AMP but that would stretch your budget. I would get open back as they offer more accurate sound but then you will hear what happens around you and others might hear what you hear. For closed back Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm would be solid as well.

Edit: and don't fall for the "surround" sound as it is mostly only a marketing trick. Good quality headphones will give you the "surround" feel in games if the sounds in games support it.
HD600 aren't good for gaming they are very narrow sounding headphones the 6xx are basically hd650 and have a wider sound stage, they still aren't super wide. like I said I use the HD6xx everyday for gaming, i've had them for 2 years now. Don't waste your time with the HD598 - HD599 I had the HD598 and the HD58x is a way better headphone night and day for $30 more.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
HD600 aren't good for gaming they are very narrow sounding headphones the 6xx are basically hd650 and have a wider sound stage, they still aren't super wide. like I said I use the HD6xx everyday for gaming, i've had them for 2 years now. Don't waste your time with the HD598 - HD599 I had the HD598 and the HD58x is a way better headphone night and day for $30 more.
Umm, ok? HD600 are almost the same as HD650 but more neutral while HD650 having slightly darker sound. Accuracy wise they are really similar and both work really well for gaming. Why I suggest HD598/HD599 is that they both are really good headphones and are low impedance and can be run easily with your motherboard audio and don't require amp necessarily while HD600/6XX/650 do due to their high impedance to get best out of them.

Also could you chime a bit how HD600 are narrow sounding? Why would so many people who do music as their job use them as reference cans on their work if they don't sound right? I think you confuse sound stage with sound signature as HD650 have darker sound signature and more bass. HD600 is one of the most neutral headphone in the market with one of the best sound stages with affordable price.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis