Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Is Apple TV 4k really 4k ?..
Yes, it supports 2160p video, sometimes referred to as UHD, and sometimes as 4K, and also supports HDR. Personally I think the AppleTV 4K is overpriced, but if you're into iTunes and Apple Play it can provide advantages other products can't.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, it supports 2160p video, sometimes referred to as UHD, and sometimes as 4K, and also supports HDR. Personally I think the AppleTV 4K is overpriced, but if you're into iTunes and Apple Play it can provide advantages other products can't.
Irv
You are correct. It supports all the new stuff.
I have one. I made the choice for it when I did the last room's setup just because I wanted to try one out.
You are also correct that its overpriced. And correct that if you're in the Apple ecosystem (I am) it gives you some bennies that other setups might struggle to do.

I am not sure for the average bear that the Apple TV is worth it if you are NOT in the Apple ecosystem because it is overpriced. Other solutions can get you there for a lot less

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
When I get my reparation money I will buy me an Apple ecosystem first thing .:p:p

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Out of the 157 movies I have on Apples ecosystem about 30 are free upgrades to 4K. That is enough that I will be getting one soon.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
The remote drives me nuts. I hate the swipe pad on the top section of it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you have an iPhone, it works as a better remote. Just download the Apple TV control app. That remote it comes with is not easy to use.

I agree with others that Fire TV Stick is cheaper and simpler, but if you are an iPhone or iPad user, the Airplay function works well for putting whatever is on your iPhone or iPad , on TV instantly.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
The remote drives me nuts. I hate the swipe pad on the top section of it.
Yup. I like just about everything about the Apple TV except the remote. They got too artsy fartsy with the design and sacrificed ease of use. I dislike that little stinker

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like the ATV4K and remote. The pause arrow button can be pressed and the touch pad used to move the time marker with live image preview. It's outstanding.
If you are already an Apply customer, $180 is more than the others but not expensive (IMO).

- Rich

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I love the appletv remote, very fast and efficient. Im still using a 3 generation old remote for my current DVR because its faster and more practical than the newer RF ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
If you have an iPhone, it works as a better remote. Just download the Apple TV control app. That remote it comes with is not easy to use.

I agree with others that Fire TV Stick is cheaper and simpler, but if you are an iPhone or iPad user, the Airplay function works well for putting whatever is on your iPhone or iPad , on TV instantly.
After drinking the Apple kool-aid for many years, I got sick of my batteries dying about every 2 years, or with an update that killed them. I'm still kicking it with an ancient rooted Samsung S5, replaceable battery baby!

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
If you have an older remote from previous AppleTV models (e.g. Generation 1 - 3), they work just fine with AppleTV 4K. I can't stand that "mouse pad" thing on there. It's too sensitive. I've tried to cut back on my remotes period, though. I programmed/setup my Marantz AVR remote to control AppleTV. In fact, I can control everything I have from that one remote except the Sony PS4 and the NVidia Shield (if I had a way to program the IR codes I could do that too as it has an IR receiver; it did work through CFC control through the projector, but that caused the Shield to sometimes exit a movie for no apparent reason in KODI so I shut it all off). Well, I also have an RF remote to control the various room lights (front, back and crystal ball-like lights I have in two displays) plus it turns on/off the subwoofer and Scatmos modules (everything else is on the remote).

I generally don't have to get up for anything (save a PS4 controller if I'm going to play a game). I keep the other remotes under the console next to the chair if I need them, which is extremely rare). I don't even have to get up to change movies as I've got everything on a server for KODI and/or a Zidoo X9S (3D movies) hard drive or through streaming and AppleTV. I do have to get up to get another drink or beer, but my console next to me has two built-in drink holders so two usually holds me through a two hour movie. I suppose I have to get up to use the restroom... I suppose I could get a catheter and one of those leg bottles, but I'm not quite that lazy yet. :D

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Sad news folks now I know for sure I can't get any freebees .:p:cool:

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
One nice feature on Apple TV 4K is Netflix Atmos support over Dolby Digital Plus. My Fire Stick 4K doesn’t do Atmos for Netflix.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
One nice feature on Apple TV 4K is Netflix Atmos support over Dolby Digital Plus. My Fire Stick 4K doesn’t do Atmos for Netflix.
What's even better is that it doesn't require a 4K TV/Projector to get Atmos with Apple movies or Netflix. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Prime or Vudu. I'd need an HD Fury to fool it with my projector.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What's even better is that it doesn't require a 4K TV/Projector to get Atmos with Apple movies or Netflix. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Prime or Vudu. I'd need an HD Fury to fool it with my projector.
I’m using 4 sources:

I use the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Prime Video and Pandora Plus and HBO Go. (Cancelled DirectTV Now App last year after 4 mo, - the DVR beta feature was crap and commercials were noticeably loud in volume)

I still use a TiVo Roamio DVR for my Comcast cable in 1080p. The DVR commercial skip feature on TiVo is hard to beat. The Samsung TV upconverts the 1080p. I need cable for NFL and NHL and honestly it’s the only remote my GF likes to use. LOL :)

I use Fire Stick 4K for Amazon Music HD unlimited.

And I use a Sony x800 player for all my discs. :)

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I’m using 4 sources:
I've got an AppleTV 4K, an NVIDIA Shield with KODI Leia, a Sony PS4, a Zidoo X9S (3D hard drive playback) and LG 4K/3D BD player (hardly gets used since I typically use KODI/Zidoo for movies).

I use Netflix on AppleTV 4K and to access any streaming only TV Shows and Movies from Apple. I use the Nvidia Shield for KODI to playback my 2D home library (Atmos/X/Auro support). PS4 is pretty much just for gaming now and the Zidoo X9S plays back my 3D BDs off two hard drives instead of having to get a disc out. The only disc I have to use with the LG player is RED TAILS as it's Auro-3D is PCM based and for some odd reason KODI can't play back the PCM unmodified (it's not expecting to be encoded, I guess; all my other Auro-3D titles are encoded into DTS-Master HD which KODI then passes through correctly). I can use Prime and Vudu on either the Apple or Shield as it doesn't matter which. If I ever buy a 3D title from Vudu (thought about getting Hotel Transylvania 3 in 3D since that's the ONLY platform I'm aware of that has it in 3D), I'd have to use the PS4 as it supports 3D on Vudu.

My music library is stored uncompressed on the Nvidia Shield and on the network in iTunes so either can get at it one way or another (if the computer is off, the local library is still usable). I have a FireTV 4K upstairs (old model with SD cards) and it has an SD card for KODI image storage and my local music library is on there as well so I don't have to bother the server to play music (seems more stable in KODI anyway, IMO as it sometimes skips once in awhile and Team KODI seems to have zero interest in looking into it since they apparently don't have the problem or don't care about music. I thought only the Mac OS caused the issue, but I've had music skip running Windows 10 on the same Mac Mini so I have no idea why no one else has ever run into the issue....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I can’t stand skipping unless we are talking about skipping commercials. :)

My Atmos will get installed soon after I replace the flooring (honey do list item) this month. I have all the speakers and wall plates and 12 AWG ceiling wire. Let’s call it motivation for finishing the floors. :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you getting any great Atmos Sound Quality and great 4K Picture Quality from the streaming?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis