HDR playback on Full HD projector via HTPC

K

kaptan

Audioholic Intern
Hello Guys,

When I play a HDR 2160p file on Kodi the display looks very washed out and kind of yellowish .

Similar to the below image
1563300192839.png

What need to be done to correct this. How to convert from HDR to SDR.

Below is my HTPC config,

Asrock B350 fatality
Ryzen 2400g
2 X 8GB Corsair vengance 3000Mhz memory

Projector I use for display is Sony VPL HW45ES

HTPC --> Marantz SR7011 --> Sony PJ

Thank you

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hello Guys,

When I play a HDR 2160p file on Kodi the display looks very washed out and kind of yellowish .

Similar to the below image
View attachment 30155

What need to be done to correct this. How to convert from HDR to SDR.

Below is my HTPC config,

Asrock B350 fatality
Ryzen 2400g
2 X 8GB Corsair vengance 3000Mhz memory

Projector I use for display is Sony VPL HW45ES

HTPC --> Marantz SR7011 --> Sony PJ

Thank you
What version of Kodi?

I use Kodi DS Player 17.6 to solve this problem as it allows for madVR which is fantastic for rendering.

I've used Kodi 18.3 and there should be an option for Tone Mapping when a video is paused (if you are using pixel shaders as opposed to DXVA). The tone mapping parameter helps this issue. DS Player is better, but isn't being developed, but if there isn't a specific feature you like in 18 then it's a non-issue.

2019-07-16 14_41_20-Kodi.png

K

kaptan

Audioholic Intern
I am using Kodi Krypton. Do I need to install any codec separately. to be honest I dont have much knowledge on the script files. Plz advice.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am using Kodi Krypton. Do I need to install any codec separately. to be honest I dont have much knowledge on the script files. Plz advice.
Since you are using Krypton, then DS Player will work for you as it is based on Krypton. It's really easy to install.

Here's a link to the forums that has all the installation how-to guides and what not.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
quick question: Your PJ is 1080p and doesn't support HDR. Why would you go out of your way to downconvert both the resolution and color dynamic range for your PJ instead of playing compatible file format?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
quick question: Your PJ is 1080p and doesn't support HDR. Why would you go out of your way to downconvert both the resolution and color dynamic range for your PJ instead of playing compatible file format?
That's what I was thinking too.

Unless he is PLANNING on getting a 4K/HDR PJ and wants to get it set up for it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Yeah, but then he gets native 4k/HDR PJ all this fuckery (sorry for lack of better term) would be unnecessary as PJ will correctly process HDR color gamma.
Oh, well. I've seen worse ideas.. case in point H264 with Hi10 4:4:4 color profile... WHY NOT JUST USE H.265 Hi10 ????????

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but then he gets native 4k/HDR PJ all this fuckery (sorry for lack of better term) would be unnecessary as PJ will correctly process HDR color gamma.
Oh, well. I've seen worse ideas.. case in point H264 with Hi10 4:4:4 color profile... WHY NOT JUST USE H.265 Hi10 ????????
He still needs to install the DS player on his HTPC for HDR since plain Kodi cannot do HDR.

Is there a way to play HDR on HTPC without the DS Player?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
He still needs to install the DS player on his HTPC for HDR since plain Kodi cannot do HDR.

I don't know. Don't have any 4k compatible stuff at home at the moment.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I haven't tried it on my HTPC and my 4K display yet. Android Kodi does without issue though.

His reason for doing this is the same as mine. I have 2 4K displays that support HDR and two that don't. One of them happens to be my projector so I need the HDR stuff tone mapped to SDR so the color looks right on my projector. I plan to get an HDR capable PJ, but other stuff comes before it on the list.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't tried it on my HTPC and my 4K display yet. Android Kodi does without issue though.

His reason for doing this is the same as mine. I have 2 4K displays that support HDR and two that don't. One of them happens to be my projector so I need the HDR stuff tone mapped to SDR so the color looks right on my projector. I plan to get an HDR capable PJ, but other stuff comes before it on the list.
I hope Kodi will incorporate HDR without having to use DS Player.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read on the forums, they are, but I guess Windows isn't their highest priority.
Bastards!

What's their top priority? Android, Amazon, Shield, etc.?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Bastards!

What's their top priority? Android, Amazon, Shield, etc.?
Yes. And Linux apparently. Libreelec is pretty fantastic, but the device I have don't work well with it or are underpowered. Plus, no netflix and stuff unless you want to deal with plugins. HDR is also not a thing in Linux yet.

R

Rajith

Enthusiast

Hi Getting 4K PJ in our Country costs a Bomb :p:p:p .Thats y he may be asking. Me too use the same model PJ ...I have triedfew native 4k disc through Sony X800 BRP once ...Oh my GOD...the picture was washed out ,some was full of Grains..
Decided better to watch in 1080p unless I get a compatible Display device...:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Getting 4K PJ in our Country costs a Bomb :p:p:p .Thats y he may be asking. Me too use the same model PJ ...I have triedfew native 4k disc through Sony X800 BRP once ...Oh my GOD...the picture was washed out ,some was full of Grains..
Decided better to watch in 1080p unless I get a compatible Display device...:D
Yeah, unless you actually have a 4K and HDR PJ or TV, I would not mess with 4K/HDR contents.

2K/SDR contents (depending on the contents) can look practically just as awesome as 4K/HDR to the human eye.

And if you want a little bit more vibrant/colorful picture, boost the colors a little. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just to throw this out...
I have both 1080p and 4K displays in my home. So, if I have 4K HDR downloads, I still may want to watch them (at times) on displays that only support 1080p. That's the beauty of centralized content is that you can play it anywhere on any device.

The hard part is that the screwy HDR tone mapping is completely different than SDR and it should be something that is tagged with metadata and playback devices and displays could just handle automatically.

That, of course, would require thinking by the industry.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just to throw this out...
I have both 1080p and 4K displays in my home. So, if I have 4K HDR downloads, I still may want to watch them (at times) on displays that only support 1080p. That's the beauty of centralized content is that you can play it anywhere on any device.

The hard part is that the screwy HDR tone mapping is completely different than SDR and it should be something that is tagged with metadata and playback devices and displays could just handle automatically.

That, of course, would require thinking by the industry.
What makes the issue worse is that some devices handle HDR>SDR perfectly. My Fire Stick 4K does it perfectly. My Shield TV doesn't. Both are technically Android TV, but Amazon has modified it to where tone mapping actually works, but they don't support audio pass-through and (IMHO) their interface sucks.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what they said about Kodi 18.3:

"Kodi’s team focused on improving the playback of 4K and 8K videos, supporting technologies like HDR and more. And there’s now even broader support for various codecs. To make sure all of these features run fine, Kodi has been optimized to take full advantage of your CPU/GPU, which should bring improvements across different platforms and devices."

https://www.technadu.com/kodi-18-leia/52632/

But I guess they are mainly talking about non-Windows?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis