Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It has been a while since Audioholics has reviewed a Klipsch product, and we thought that their refresh of the Reference Premier line would be an ideal time to take a look at what Klipsch has been up to in the loudspeaker world. Loudspeaker manufacturer Klipsch has received a lot of acclaim for their Reference Premier series ever since its introduction, so it is high time that we have given this lauded line a very close look to see if it truly deserved its accolades. In for a full review is the Klipsch RP-8000F, a dual 8" woofer megalith of a speaker that promises a wide dynamic range for lots of punch and impact, but will that come at the cost of sound quality?

We have opted to go with the Piano Black edition because we can appreciate good looks as well as good sound. These speakers are Klipsch' highest-end conventional tower speakers next to the RF-7 III. Klipsch has Dolby Atmos speakers that are a bit pricier, but we would rather focus on fundamental performance rather than Atmos embellishments since the sound character of these speakers will largely be determined by the base design. The cost of the standard RP-8000F is about $600 each, but the Piano Black finish of our review pair brings that pricing up to $750 each. These are moderately priced tower speakers and in a highly competitive price bracket. So what do the RP-8000F speakers bring to the table to make them a compelling offer in a market that is crowded at this price point? Read our full review to find out.

READ: Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why such a tease? You're really acting like a market guy or a politician! :D When Gene talks about a review, it's always available on the spot.

As a matter of fact, I am anxious to read it.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The review is in the hands of the Attorney General.

Sometime this weekend he may relay some of the information to Congress.

It's unclear how much of the review will be released to the public, and if so, when.

Many in Congress are already requesting that the entire review be made public. There are rumors that Congress may ask ShadyJ to testify in front of them. At the very least, certain Congressional committees are sure to want to interview ShadyJ.

ShadyJ has not commented publicly and is not expected to do so any time soon.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The review is in the hands of the Attorney General.

Sometime this weekend he may relay some of the information to Congress.

It's unclear how much of the review will be released to the public, and if so, when.

Many in Congress are already requesting that the entire review be made public. There are rumors that Congress may ask ShadyJ to testify in front of them. At the very least, certain Congressional committees are sure to want to interview ShadyJ.

ShadyJ has not commented publicly and is not expected to do so any time soon.
Except in this case, you're getting a fully non-redacted document with a few tweaks added by yours truly ;)

The review is now live.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Palladium looks like a higher quality speaker, but I think the RP8000F is a better looking speaker!

It is a shame that the tweeter at the throat of the RP8000F horn is silver instead of copper (in color)

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The marketing department at Klipsch has been indicted by a grand jury for lying about their speaker's sensitivity.

There are no other indictments at this time.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Per the review (referring to the 8" woofers):
The aluminum layer provides a light but strong platform for the ceramic layer and also provides additional damping due to the differing densities of the materials. I can’t be sure of how well it works versus a plain aluminum cone, but I am sure Klipsch would not go through the trouble of anodizing all of their cones if the effects were insignificant.
I agree, but could totally see Klipsch going through the trouble of anodizing their cones purely for cosmetic reasons! "Copper and black" is their signature descriptor for their speakers! So I would venture that their marketing department may have determined that anodizing the cones would have a significant effect on sales!
Klipsch impresses me as a company fully aware of the psycho-acoustic benefits of a speaker looking like it sounds good! I think they would not hesitate to spend the money on the anodization even if there was no performance improvement!

That said, the material properties of ceramic are so radically different from aluminum, it probably does impact the performance significantly (in a positive way), as well. After all, isn't that more or less what the Infinity CMMD drivers are?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Per the review (referring to the 8" woofers):

I agree, but could totally see Klipsch going through the trouble of anodizing their cones purely for cosmetic reasons! "Copper and black" is their signature descriptor for their speakers! So I would venture that their marketing department may have determined that anodizing the cones would have a significant effect on sales!
Klipsch impresses me as a company fully aware of the psycho-acoustic benefits of a speaker looking like it sounds good! I think they would not hesitate to spend the money on the anodization even if there was no performance improvement!

That said, the material properties of ceramic are so radically different from aluminum, it probably does impact the performance significantly (in a positive way), as well. After all, isn't that more or less what the Infinity CMMD drivers are?
These are pretty much like CMMD cones, its just anodized aluminum. The anodized layer is very thin. Infinity has some comparison graphs that do show a difference, but that was probably measured under ideal conditions. Supposedly there is an easy way to add dye to the process so you could make it any color you want. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It isn't likely to be hurting anything, although it may not be a big help.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I love speaker reviews because they give me new ideas of music to try! :D

Klipsch has painted themselves into a corner with their efficiency ratings. They've built a reputation for selling speakers with near 100dB sensitivity so any drastic change in specs (even if there was no actual change in the speaker) would make people question the product.

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
Thanks for the review! Have you heard the RF-7 iii? If so how would you compare them? is This the best bang for buck in the Klipsch line?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

For me the key is voice coil, crossover, and whatever effects geometry has -- but them colored woofers are good marketing as the eyes play a big part in the purchase

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
By the way fantastic review! Thanks for all your help Shady as I was making decisions on my upgrade. This speaker won out over all of them and is now my 3 front towers!

20190320_173505.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The time I had play with them so Far I can tell you this these are the best speakers I found in this price range and even above there price within reason.

they are everything he stated in the review. Great for music neutral transperent and just out of this world in home theater. Soundstage and imaging tremendous there dynamics are just amazing

Highs so So good never heard a klipsch product that sounds like this in the highs except for there top of the line.

The midrange like he said razor thin weakness between woofer and tweeter integration BUT only if your too close they need about 12 feet back to perfectly blend which is perfect in my large room where I'm sitting fourteen feet back they integrate perfect at that distance

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis