P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will still run separate power amps due to I turn them on and off depending on what I am listening to.
Of course, I use external amps too. My preference of AVRs instead of AVP is based on cost only, after the been there, done that (two AVPs already) experience, that's all. I think keeping the CXA is a wise move.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was looking at the 16Ch pre-pros from Datasat and Emotiva. Both mentioned Dirac, Atmos, and DTSX. But neither one mentioned Auro3D.

Seriously, if Auro3D is truly that awesome, why does it seem like it is extinct?

Take those few statements about Auro’s superiority over Atmos with a large grain of salt. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I was looking at the 16Ch pre-pros from Datasat and Emotiva. Both mentioned Dirac, Atmos, and DTSX. But neither one mentioned Auro3D.

Seriously, if Auro3D is truly that awesome, why does it seem like it is extinct?

Take those few statements about Auro’s superiority over Atmos with a large grain of salt. :D
Have you watched a movie in Auro-3D at a commercial cinema?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Also, if you read the Auro-3D white papers vs Dolby Atmos, of you are fair, you would see that its a better system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you watched a movie in Auro-3D at a commercial cinema?
I didn’t even know they have such a thing as a commercial Auro3D theater.

I thought Auro3D was only a home sound system, which is now basically extinct because I don’t notice any Auro3D Blu-Ray movies at Best Buy or Walmart to even buy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also, if you read the Auro-3D white papers vs Dolby Atmos, of you are fair, you would see that its a better system.
So let me get this straight.

You are 100% against a sound format (Atmos) that is 100% alive and kicking.

Practically every single new Blu-Ray movie is offerred in Atmos in the US.

But you are 100% for a sound format (Auro3D) that is all but extinct. Extinct. You hardly ever see any Blu-Ray movie released in Auro3D. It is all but extinct.

I have not compared white papers on Atmos vs DTSX vs Auro3D.

@andyblackcat has 2 whole Blu-rays in Auro3D format and both of them suck. That’s a 100% rate of sucking. :D

Just like it doesn’t matter if HD-DVD is a better format than Blu-Ray on a million white papers.

At the end of the day, there is no point supporting any extinct format.

When Atmos came out in 2012, I also thought it might be extinct one day. There is no getting excited and supporting a format that will become dead.

Now almost a decade later, it is pretty clear that Atmos is the winner among the 3 formats - Atmos, DTSX, Auro3D.

So instead crying over spilled milk and wishing for something that isn’t happening, I choose to enjoy the format that is actually 100% alive and kicking, not some dead forgotten format.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, the 2 Auro3D blu-rays that @andyblackcat has are Blade Runner 2049 and Red Tails.

In the US, neither one of them is available in Auro3D.

Are there any Auro3D blu-ray movies released in the US? :D

Yeah, let us all get behind a dead format that doesn’t have any contents in the US.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On a positive note, Merry Christmas everyone! :D

It is almost time for a new Year with new Gears. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So let me get this straight.

You are 100% against a sound format (Atmos) that is 100% alive and kicking.

Practically every single new Blu-Ray movie is offerred in Atmos in the US.

But you are 100% for a sound format (Auro3D) that is all but extinct. Extinct. You hardly ever see any Blu-Ray movie released in Auro3D. It is all but extinct.

I have not compared white papers on Atmos vs DTSX vs Auro3D.

@andyblackcat has 2 whole Blu-rays in Auro3D format and both of them suck. That’s a 100% rate of sucking. :D

Just like it doesn’t matter if HD-DVD is a better format than Blu-Ray on a million white papers.

At the end of the day, there is no point supporting any extinct format.

When Atmos came out in 2012, I also thought it might be extinct one day. There is no getting excited and supporting a format that will become dead.

Now almost a decade later, it is pretty clear that Atmos is the winner among the 3 formats - Atmos, DTSX, Auro3D.

So instead crying over spilled milk and wishing for something that isn’t happening, I choose to enjoy the format that is actually 100% alive and kicking, not some dead forgotten format.
That’s because A55 just wants to be a pain into the A55 wherever he goes. Every post is negative, and pi$$ing in someone else’s parade.

In any case. Merry Christmas Andrew.
And all my fellow Audioholics!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Well I do not think Auro3d is extinct...Dolby is really worried or they would not be getting the manufacturers to stop cross upmixing, and I hope this backfires on Dolby. Sounds to me like Dolby is trying to monopolize, and if that is what they are trying to do I hope hope they lose in court. They are stupid for even doing this IMO. They lose absolutely zero by allowing cross mixing as they already received their royalties, and licensing fees. What do they have to gain by doing this? I think they are messing up big time, and I hope they get their @#$ handed to them. Let the people decide what format they want to listen to.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I do not think Auro3d is extinct...Dolby is really worried or they would not be getting the manufacturers to stop cross upmixing, and I hope this backfires on Dolby. Sounds to me like Dolby is trying to monopolize, and if that is what they are trying to do I hope hope they lose in court. They are stupid for even doing this IMO. They lose absolutely zero by allowing cross mixing as they already received their royalties, and licensing fees. What do they have to gain by doing this? I think they are messing up big time, and I hope they get their @#$ handed to them. Let the people decide what format they want to listen to.
I agree Dolby stopping cross upmixing is a unpopular move among users for sure, but I do believe between the multiple 3D sound formats, one or two will become extinct eventually.

The thing is, we have all seen that same movies before, at least twice recently, beta/VHS, HDDVD/BR, 3D video/4K (not a perfect comparison but still..). In each case, the ones that prevail were not unanimously better as such, but still only one could survive. The 3D/4K one is not a perfect comparison but it is the worst because it is not fair to people who invested in the software and the hardware (3D glasses), and that pseudo 3D format should have never been launched and promoted as it isn't really 3D at all, not even close. At least the so called 3D sound is much closer to what it's name imply and still has much room to improve.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Well Dolby is definitely afraid of Auro3d or they would not be doing this...so Auro3d is a huge threat to them. Auro3d is now being used in Porches too. I hope this time that Dolby loses. I have a feeling if Auro takes them to court they will lose as this is very similar to cell phones, and leaving a carrier and not being able to take your phone and number...they lost that in court, and I thin the same will happen here if they take them to court.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Has anyone seen any Auro3D blu-rays at Best Buy, Walmart, or any other stores in North America?

In order for Auro3D to "threaten" Atmos, they need to have some contents - like at Best Buy, Walmart, Fry's, Newegg, etc.

2. Upmixing - I don't see why such a big deal has been made of this.

If the movie is encoded with DTS-HD MA, it makes perfect sense to me to use DTS NeuralX to upmix.

If the movie is encoded with TrueHD, it makes perfect sense to me to use Dolby Surround to upmix.

Now if the source is PCM, then it makes sense to use either Dolby or DTS upmix.

I think if Auro3D were to show some kind of momentum - like have some contents in N. American - perhaps Yamaha might think it's worth the trouble to include it as a feature.

But as it stands now, with no Auro3D contents, I can understand why Yamaha is not burning the midnight oil to get Auro3D added as a feature.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even DTSX has extremely few contents - absolutely nothing when compared to the number of ATMOS releases.

Although I have not seen every DTSX content (I have 16 DTSX blu-rays),I am 100% disappointed with DTSX.

It's sad, but I thought The Dark Knight Rises DTS-HD and Interstellar DTS-HD upmixed with DTS NeuralX sounded better than any DTSX content I've seen. It's pretty sad.

BTW, NeuralX and DSU performance is pretty close, but I think NeuralX sounds best when used with DTS original contents and DSU sounds best when used with Dolby original contents. So I see exactly 0.00% advantage of using NeuralX for Dolby or using DSU for DTS contents.

So as of now, there's really not much of any threat to ATMOS in terms of available contents in N. America.

Threats on some white papers don't mean anything. Show us some available contents in N. America. If Auro3D has been around since 2011, where are all the Auro3D contents in NA? :eek:

Seems all bark and no bite.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
1. Has anyone seen any Auro3D blu-rays at Best Buy, Walmart, or any other stores in North America?

In order for Auro3D to "threaten" Atmos, they need to have some contents - like at Best Buy, Walmart, Fry's, Newegg, etc.

2. Upmixing - I don't see why such a big deal has been made of this.

If the movie is encoded with DTS-HD MA, it makes perfect sense to me to use DTS NeuralX to upmix.

If the movie is encoded with TrueHD, it makes perfect sense to me to use Dolby Surround to upmix.

Now if the source is PCM, then it makes sense to use either Dolby or DTS upmix.

I think if Auro3D were to show some kind of momentum - like have some contents in N. American - perhaps Yamaha might think it's worth the trouble to include it as a feature.

But as it stands now, with no Auro3D contents, I can understand why Yamaha is not burning the midnight oil to get Auro3D added as a feature.
I agree With you to an extent, but we are talking worldwide...not just in the USA. Dolby obviously sees a threat or they would not have done this. I hope Auro3d takes them to court, and lets the court rule on this. As far as Yamaha...they are using their own product that costs them no licensing fees so why use another and have to pay royalties? I think it is a shame that they are not doing as Denon, and Marantz, and getting Auro3d, but then again, Marantz, and Yamaha are not going to for dirac either, and Dirac is moving up to be the king of the mountain too. We will see what happens in the future with this, and if it goes to court.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Even DTSX has extremely few contents - absolutely nothing when compared to the number of ATMOS releases.

Although I have not seen every DTSX content (I have 16 DTSX blu-rays),I am 100% disappointed with DTSX.

It's sad, but I thought The Dark Knight Rises DTS-HD and Interstellar DTS-HD upmixed with DTS NeuralX sounded better than any DTSX content I've seen. It's pretty sad.

BTW, NeuralX and DSU performance is pretty close, but I think NeuralX sounds best when used with DTS original contents and DSU sounds best when used with Dolby original contents. So I see exactly 0.00% advantage of using NeuralX for Dolby or using DSU for DTS contents.

So as of now, there's really not much of any threat to ATMOS in terms of available contents in N. America.

Threats on some white papers don't mean anything. Show us some available contents in N. America. If Auro3D has been around since 2011, where are all the Auro3D contents in NA? :eek:

Seems all bark and no bite.
Then if there is no threat...tell me why Dolby is now doing this when they have absolutely zero to gain? I am not trying to argue about this, but the decision should be by the consumer not by a Corporation that is greedy.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Personally I think Dolby is being stupid. Just like Bose suing consumer reports for bad press. I also don’t think auro is a threat, so I’m confused at why Dolby is acting like babies. Auro holds very little interest for me since there’s no content, and IMO building a system to accommodate Auro seems like building a drag racing car to go drifting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As far as Yamaha...they are using their own product that costs them no licensing fees so why use another and have to pay royalties? I think it is a shame that they are not doing as Denon, and Marantz, and getting Auro3d, but then again, Marantz, and Yamaha are not going to for dirac either, and Dirac is moving up to be the king of the mountain too. We will see what happens in the future with this, and if it goes to court.
Atmos and DTSX are not Yamaha’s own products.

As for Dirac, Audyssey, ARC, or any other room EQ, not everyone wants to use them.

I don’t want to use any of these room EQ even if they came with the AVP/AVR for FREE.

So why make people pay an extra $1K for some room EQ that they don't care about?

Room EQ should be a separate component for the people who actually want them and pay for them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis