Switching from 2 to 3 subs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Can you explain please?
Well some people maintain if you have multiples of subs say 4 in a room that are identical it should increase output spread the sound across the most seats possible. And with the way the subs cancel out different room modes cancel out nulls and problems with the sound to the point that you have very little need to measure calibrate etc because it should come very close to giving you a flat response across the range across the room without much need for integrating and measuring the subs to make sure they work together that's the rough theory some speculate. Although I'm all the way down for points 1 and 2 William is right it's not as easy as speculated to get the subs to work together it's not just all plug and play and that's it. The biggest factor in all this is the room. Rooms just don't interact that way that easily. The shape materials in the room the size etc etc can all play huge factors in influencing how those subs interact. So no matter what your gonna have to measure and calibrate besides whats the point of having all those subs and extra output if you don't make sure it blends well with your mains? I just want quads for extra output headroom dynamics and more bas across as many seats as possible. Its worth the need to still measure for me

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For what its worth, I am a big believer in multi sub systems, but blindly putting multiple subs throughout the room may not do much to improve the response. The response has to be measured, and placement has to be deliberate, or else the potential advantages of multi sub systems can be wasted.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I'm totally with both of you. William's short response seemed to rebut darn near all that I've read. I was wondering how he has formed his opinion. I'm not a physicist, but when I did take AP Physics in high school and Physics in college, we study waves. I've seen the words peaks and nulls mentioned. We used the words nodes and antinodes.

I got my second sub to reduce the number of nodes in my room and to increase output. While limited to one specific location :rolleyes: I did achieve an improvement. My desire to add another sub is the same as my second. To say that multiples is overstated doesn't make logical sense to me. If you saturate a space with sound waves coming from different directions, it's going to increase the number of antinodes. Reflections may line up, but the initial interaction of those waves is bound to create more even response throughout the space.

I absolutely agree with proper calibration, using proper equipment and techniques. Returning to single living will give me LOTS of time to "get it right". Every cloud has a silver lining gents!;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you explain please?
I figured someone would check me on this! Lol
Sorry for the short hit n run earlier. That’s maybe why I shouldn’t multitask.
Basically between @shadyJ and @danzilla, they covered what I was saying, in that you can’t just go willy nilly and polo subs wherever they fit and just magically get flat response. The chances are very good that you’ll have good improvement. But there are too many variables to just throw them in there and be done. For example, in my LR, which is sunken by 1’, the two subs in the front of my room are equidistant from my LP BUT due to the angled roof, the left one is under a 9’ ceiling and the right is under a 12’ ceiling. The third sub in the rear left corner is under an 8’ ceiling. The height modes are all different because of this, and on top of that, the room opens to the kitchen, and then the foyer, with a bank of cabinets on the right side of the LR that forms the right wall of the LR between it and the kitchen. Soooooo, even if I had 16 matching subs, it would still take a good deal of time/phase/distance and EQ to be flat. In a perfect room built exclusively for an HT everything can be calculated and multipurpose rooms are more of a wildcard.
Fwiw, don’t think I was sayin not to use multiple subs. I am a firm believer in it. I personally have 3, and ideally will have 4. It is in my LR so....we’ll see.

Well some people maintain if you have multiples of subs say 4 in a room that are identical it should increase output spread the sound across the most seats possible. And with the way the subs cancel out different room modes cancel out nulls and problems with the sound to the point that you have very little need to measure calibrate etc because it should come very close to giving you a flat response across the range across the room without much need for integrating and measuring the subs to make sure they work together that's the rough theory some speculate. Although I'm all the way down for points 1 and 2 William is right it's not as easy as speculated to get the subs to work together it's not just all plug and play and that's it. The biggest factor in all this is the room. Rooms just don't interact that way that easily. The shape materials in the room the size etc etc can all play huge factors in influencing how those subs interact. So no matter what your gonna have to measure and calibrate besides whats the point of having all those subs and extra output if you don't make sure it blends well with your mains? I just want quads for extra output headroom dynamics and more bas across as many seats as possible. Its worth the need to still measure for me
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I was saying. Or not saying...

For what its worth, I am a big believer in multi sub systems, but blindly putting multiple subs throughout the room may not do much to improve the response. The response has to be measured, and placement has to be deliberate, or else the potential advantages of multi sub systems can be wasted.
Exactly. I’ve moved my 3rd sub around the room and it interacts differently everywhere I put it, so it’s phase and EQ time. Definitely CANNOT just plop it. Thank god I have minidsp! But even my BFD was pretty good.

Yeah, I'm totally with both of you. William's short response seemed to rebut darn near all that I've read. I was wondering how he has formed his opinion. I'm not a physicist, but when I did take AP Physics in high school and Physics in college, we study waves. I've seen the words peaks and nulls mentioned. We used the words nodes and antinodes.

I got my second sub to reduce the number of nodes in my room and to increase output. While limited to one specific location :rolleyes: I did achieve an improvement. My desire to add another sub is the same as my second. To say that multiples is overstated doesn't make logical sense to me. If you saturate a space with sound waves coming from different directions, it's going to increase the number of antinodes. Reflections may line up, but the initial interaction of those waves is bound to create more even response throughout the space.

I absolutely agree with proper calibration, using proper equipment and techniques. Returning to single living will give me LOTS of time to "get it right". Every cloud has a silver lining gents!;)
Sorry about the short response . Wasn’t trying to rebut all you’ve read. Fwiw, I am absolutely a believer in multi subs. I was just pointing out that care still needs to be taken for best results. My opinion has been forged from years of reading and forum duty, as well as integrating my own, and others systems.
Your success with the second sub may have simply been dumb luck. I believe in measurements, and I would have like to see before and afters. The reason I say overstated is exactly for the reasons above. Not that it doesn’t work, just that it takes a little more effort than plunking them down.
Btw, sorry to hear that you’re having to adjust to a new lifestyle. It can definitely be hard to start over.
I think the two subs up front will definitely be better. It definitely is in my room. I had my two big subs in back with the little one in front for a long time. When I swapped them, it was better in every regard.
Damn, that was windy. Hope you didn’t fall asleep...

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
@William Lemmerhirt I definitely didn't fall asleep, haha. The new situation is beyond my control, so I practice acceptance;)

In true audioholic fashion I'm looking for a place to suit. I could get a 2bd place that'll accommodate my needs and spend "x" as long as there's a legit space that won't give me the types of headache you have to contend with. More likely I'll get a 3bd priced at "1.5x", and if the common space is inadequate I'll use the master. I'm going to be going home to an empty house most nights, and I'm going to frickin enjoy it, haha!!!:cool: I do appreciate the sentiment my man

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@William Lemmerhirt I definitely didn't fall asleep, haha. The new situation is beyond my control, so I practice acceptance;)

In true audioholic fashion I'm looking for a place to suit. I could get a 2bd place that'll accommodate my needs and spend "x" as long as there's a legit space that won't give me the types of headache you have to contend with. More likely I'll get a 3bd priced at "1.5x", and if the common space is inadequate I'll use the master. I'm going to be going home to an empty house most nights, and I'm going to frickin enjoy it, haha!!!:cool: I do appreciate the sentiment my man
Hey man being single has its benefits for example I get to have a living room like this
20180827_190857.jpg

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Not having WAF is kinda cool. That house is my man cave. But all fun aside things are nice but there's more to this hobby then that. I've had a lottoff fun and many a night up talking with these awesome people on this forum and I daresay I've begun some new friendships from this. Like you said starting fresh is something we gotta do even though it's not easy I like your spirit and your positive outlook on a tough situation is something I admire. Welcome to our brotherhood my friend I look forward to a lottof night talking audio. And if you ever roll through San Antonio Texas PM me 2 bachelor's on the town brother we will raise some hell and have a great time doing it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Actually my headaches are partially self induced since we designed and built our house. It’s actually not as bad as it sounds, and love sunken LR. I also enjoy good challenge and integrating three subwoofers was definitely that. Totally worth it though. IMO, it does sound pretty damn good and the system always receives compliments. Of course people in Mn are “nice” lmao...
Good luck on your new place man. In the meantime, have fun with the house to yourself

Some QT with the system might be just what the dr ordered!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
If it was me If switch that list around if it was me
1 subs
2 floor standard
3 and
4 surrounds for atmos
5 then the tv
But that's just me Is want bulk of money on the speakers first. But it's not wrong how your going about it if your happy going that route go for it bro well cheer you on the whole way :)
With a long drive to work just now, I've been able to rethink the situation, and here's where I'm at:
1) subs
2) tv
3) surrounds- I'd just more Paradigm Mini Monitors, perhaps the bipole surrounds, and I could repurpose the Primes for Atmos
4) AVR and Floorstanders at the same time.

Where did you grab the brackets for your speakers?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
With a long drive to work just now, I've been able to rethink the situation, and here's where I'm at:
1) subs
2) tv
3) surrounds- I'd just more Paradigm Mini Monitors, perhaps the bipole surrounds, and I could repurpose the Primes for Atmos
4) AVR and Floorstanders at the same time.

Where did you grab the brackets for your speakers?
I made them those surrounds are super heavy like 28 to 30 pounds so I converted some TV mounts. Then I found out they were too high for Atmos so I've eventually got to take them down. :(

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I made them those surrounds are super heavy like 28 to 30 pounds so I converted some TV mounts. Then I found out they were too high for Atmos so I've eventually got to take them down. :(
Seems like you could mount them a couple feet lower. I know you had one photo you made with red X’s on it and that looked pretty good.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Seems like you could mount them a couple feet lower. I know you had one photo you made with red X’s on it and that looked pretty good.
Theres a window on one side that prevents this also down lower on a couple spots there's no studs. It's ok tho next year I plan on upgrading to the Ultra Towers. My plan is I'll get a good good discount from my sales guy if I buy 3 ultra's from Bjorns. Then keep the 3 primes and just get one more. Those prime towers will work in the spots highlighted on that picture. Then I'll have perfect separation my fronts and surrounds will all be ear level my C34E's will sound perfect then. But they work now they make a nice difference only weakness is a difficulty with the back channels due to the height of the surrounds you can still hear the rear ceilings just not as good as the front ceilings. But you can hear it good enough that I'm more then happy with it till it's time to upgrade.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also I want to eventually repurpose or flip those surround speakers anyway. They're awesome but the sealed design is a weakness for where my crossovers sound best on them. I need some surrounds that can really move some air down to at least 80 Hz. Maybe more on the crossover it just takes a lot to make that big open room sound immersive

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Also I want to eventually repurpose or flip those surround speakers anyway. They're awesome but the sealed design is a weakness for where my crossovers sound best on them. I need some surrounds that can really move some air down to at least 80 Hz. Maybe more on the crossover it just takes a lot to make that big open room sound immersive
Makes sense. My room is smaller so hoping my RSL speakers work out.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Makes sense. My room is smaller so hoping my RSL speakers work out.
They should my C34E's just sound killer in that big space so good I've got mine crossed over at 100hz very happy with the sound

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Bipole surrounds are not recommended for Atmos and object oriented sound tracks since the sound needs to be directional. You will want monopole speakers for Atmos to sound right.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Bipole surrounds are not recommended for Atmos and object oriented sound tracks since the sound needs to be directional. You will want monopole speakers for Atmos to sound right.
I'll be using the SVS Prime Satellites as the Atmos speakers. Really strongly considering another pair of the Mini Monitors as the surrounds. That'd be Mini Monitors all the way around. My consideration comes from the fact that I can get them right now for $300/pr. - they were $600. I've thought about floorstanders up front and moving the L & R Mini Monitors to the back for surround use, but I'm not sure if the towers are necessary if the bookshelfs are properly blended with my subs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'll be using the SVS Prime Satellites as the Atmos speakers. Really strongly considering another pair of the Mini Monitors as the surrounds. That'd be Mini Monitors all the way around. My consideration comes from the fact that I can get them right now for $300/pr. - they were $600. I've thought about floorstanders up front and moving the L & R Mini Monitors to the back for surround use, but I'm not sure if the towers are necessary if the bookshelfs are properly blended with my subs.
The Mini-monitors ought to work well. But what I meant before is that dipoles and bipoles are not suitable for any speakers in any of the object-oriented sound mixes, so not Atmos, DTS-X, or Aurasound. For these types of sound systems, you want to keep all speakers as much alike as possible.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The Mini-monitors ought to work well. But what I meant before is that dipoles and bipoles are not suitable for any speakers in any of the object-oriented sound mixes, so not Atmos, DTS-X, or Aurasound. For these types of sound systems, you want to keep all speakers as much alike as possible.
Yeah, makes sense. The consensus that I've always seen is that monopoles are best. I've always been kind of curious about bipole. I could conceive that bipoles were better many years ago before mixing technologies improved to where they are now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, makes sense. The consensus that I've always seen is that monopoles are best. I've always been kind of curious about bipole. I could conceive that bipoles were better many years ago before mixing technologies improved to where they are now.
That is essentially correct. Bipoles are better at providing an ambient effect. They are from an era when surround effects sounds were just vague effects cues and atmosphere. Today's sound mixes deal with very localized sound from every direction. The surround sound stage is a lot more precise and needs speakers that can image well to reproduce these effects.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis