Blur on motion Samsung

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have a Samsung un65nu800d tv. After about 2 months the love affair is over. When watching sports sometimes the motion gets jittery, like the players are moving too fast, and the ball is blurred.

I have adjusted everything I can think of, motion , blur, judder, to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Samsung customer service is no help. TIA.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
While there might still be some setting you could be overlooking, motion is my #1 reason for disliking Samsungs historically. They've come a long way over the last decade, but they still lag behind Sony and the others in my opinion. At least to my eyes. Something could very well be wrong with the motion processing on your set, but yeah. I still won't be purchasing a Samsung any time soon unless something drastically changes with how they approach things.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what set did you have previous to this one? Somewhat an inherent problem with LCD tech more than anything I'd assume. How are the issues with the edge lighting with this model? Getting much clouding/flashlighting in a dark room? I'm holding onto my old plasma for now in any case altho have been looking around at a few current 4k sets, the one you have I was reading about just last night....

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I'm holding onto my old plasma for now in any case altho have been looking around at a few current 4k sets, the one you have I was reading about just last night....
If I was coming straight from plasma, then I'd probably be leaning toward OLED.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I was coming straight from plasma, then I'd probably be leaning toward OLED.
Seems to be the best segue but thinking they still have a ways to go both in price and reliability....

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I don't know if you are out of the return window. But I think Sony might handle motion better. I have a 65 inch 4k model with zero motion issues, and I actually turned the motion off.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have two Samsungs and watch a lot of hockey and I never detected any kind of motion blur

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
You're not the only one who noticed motion issues with the NU8000 series apparently:
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-nu8000-un55nu8000
While they really were impressed by a lot about the TV (ie great color, brightness, etc.), the motion was bad enough for them to say this:
"...its motion settings can be tricky to configure. At full effect, you might be subject to the soap opera effect but, turn them off, and you might get motion artifacting. There's a happy medium in the advanced settings, but ultimately these issues are what stops this screen from winning the midsize war."
-and-
"Take something that the Samsung NU8000 might not be built for - shaky cam footage shot while the cameraman is on foot - and you’ll start to see the screen’s real issues with motion.

The best example of this can be found watching Fastest Car on Netflix. Many of the scenes shot at the racetrack near the end of each episode are all filmed without tripods creating a small problem for the NU8000 where it builds extra frames making the camera shake even harder. You can turn off motion when this happens, but should you switch over to sports you’ll see major artifacting. Sometimes it feels like you can’t win"

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My Samsung is the KS8000 65in. from 2016. I did have to turn off some settings to avoid soap opera effect but no issues since that initial setup. I am watching all types of shows and sports. I do use my Sony UDP X800 player to upscale 1080p to 2160p for regular Blu-ray movies.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks everyone. Are their recommendations for the settings?

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Thanks everyone. Are their recommendations for the settings?
That same review I linked above had an editor's note that said this:
"Settings->Picture->Advanced Settings->Auto Motion Plus and then turn Blur Reduction up to 10, while cranking the Judder down to 0."
Give that a try and see what happens. Also, according to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000/settings :"To get the best judder-free movie experience you need to set the 'Auto Motion Plus' setting to 'Custom', set the 'Blur Reduction' to 0, set 'Judder Reduction' to 0 and leave the 'LED Clear Motion' unticked. This won't add the soap opera effect.
-
The 'Auto Motion Plus Settings' also control the NU8000's motion interpolation. Since it has a 120Hz panel, it can interpolate lower frame rate content up to 120Hz. To do so, set 'Auto Motion Plus' to 'Custom' and increase the 'De-judder' and 'De-blur' sliders. The 'De-judder' slider affects 30 fps or lower content, and the 'De-blur' slider affects 60fps content. For both sliders, you can adjust the setting to your liking to add more or less soap opera effect."

Good luck!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Any sport is fine on my lg except basketball depending on what network I'm watching. Some are great, others are terrible.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I notice when I watch a movie the camera moves causing me to get nauseous. It’s weird. Looks as if someone is filming with a handheld camera, and it is bouncing. Any idea what this is?

Thanks.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I notice when I watch a movie the camera moves causing me to get nauseous. It’s weird. Looks as if someone is filming with a handheld camera, and it is bouncing. Any idea what this is?

Thanks.
It's shakey camera syndrome, and it's annoying as all get out. Thankfully, Hollywood seems to have backed off a bit from this seriously irritating trend. Seems to be used by tons of network TV shows though, probably in an effort to make their boring shows seem all actioney and stuff. It's like they handed the camera to a drunk toddler. Except even my toddler can probably do a better job holding the freaking camera halfway still. Don't get me started.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
My Samsung is the KS8000 65in. from 2016. I did have to turn off some settings to avoid soap opera effect but no issues since that initial setup. I am watching all types of shows and sports. I do use my Sony UDP X800 player to upscale 1080p to 2160p for regular Blu-ray movies.
I've got a KS8000 55" from 2016 as well and have no issues since initial setup. All "motion blur" settings are off and I do not detect any motion blur. When they were on, I found the soap opera effect disturbing. My display is only hooked up to an Oppo BDP-103D which is upscaling DVD and Blu-ray to 4K as well....and it looks good!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis