Pioneer Elite VSX-LX302 to enable 3 subs

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
i have Pioneer Elite VSX-LX302 AV receiver powering DT BP9040 towers w/ atmos modules, center channel, two surrounds and ProSub1000.

The receiver being an entry level from Pioneer, i am worries that it might get fried if i connect the DT BP9040 tower subs with 'Y' connection for stereo sub effect and use second outlet for ProSub 1000.

i want to set low frequency filter on AV receiver so that it pushes 100Hz or lower frequency on subwoofer channels. Use the turn knob on ProSub1000 to play 80Hz or low and anything between 80Hz to 100Hz on the towers. i am trying to set-up 5.3.2 system with stereo subs.

Fairly large room (18 ft x 21 ft) and hence trying to get different low frequencies played across each subs. Is this doable or it is too much power for this receiver. For now, 5.1.2 system is set as 'Small Speakers' in the MCACC set-up. Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those "subs" in the speakers have their own power, i.e. their own amps, right? So your avr is merely providing a signal, not amp power, and you can easily use a y-splitter to do so. Does the DT 1000 even keep up? Why stereo subs and how would a third fit in with that plan? Bass in that region is generally mono.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Those "subs" in the speakers have their own power, i.e. their own amps, right? So your avr is merely providing a signal, not amp power, and you can easily use a y-splitter to do so. Does the DT 1000 even keep up? Why stereo subs and how would a third fit in with that plan? Bass in that region is generally mono.
Your answer is correct.

But, to be a bit more technical here:

Those DT "subs" have their own amps for the input signal. Amps tend to have very high input impedance (i.e. they do not draw much current).

Splitting a signal (pre-amp output) into 2 inputs on amps will double the load which is the same as saying "the load impedance will divide by half'.

So, half of "very high input impedance" still = "very high input impedance".

Of course you will hit some limit where this does become a problem due to low impedance loading

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
Those "subs" in the speakers have their own power, i.e. their own amps, right? So your avr is merely providing a signal, not amp power, and you can easily use a y-splitter to do so. Does the DT 1000 even keep up? Why stereo subs and how would a third fit in with that plan? Bass in
that region is generally mono.
Thanks lovinthehd

Yes, each sub have their own amps.

i have been using those towers without firing up the subs. Hence, wanted to pump some additional Bass thru provided the crossover filter is an option in VSX-LX302. ProSub1000 is in Back Corner of the room, while the towers are used as left and right front, against wall in niche . Was hoping to play with Crossover setting to play two different frequencies to be played separately thru each subs. So far it ProSub1000 is playing fine but it's hard to make out different frequencies. i don't know what is the crossover setting right now.

Just worried if i will fry the receiver if connecting all these speakers, hence try to get some opinions.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks lovinthehd

i have been using those towers without firing up the subs. Hence, wanted to pump some additional Bass thru provided the crossover filter is an option in VSX-LX302. ProSub1000 is in Back Corner of the room, while the towers are used as left and right front, against wall in niche . Was hoping to play with Crossover setting to play two different frequencies to be played separately thru each subs. So far it ProSub1000 is playing fine but it's hard to make out different frequencies. i don't know what is the crossover setting right now.

Just worried if i will fry the receiver if connecting all these speakers, hence try to get some opinions.
Nothing wrong with some experimenting.

But, I own the GE T2, a close cousin to the DTs. I know that for the GE, Sandy recommends just using the speaker level inputs and dial in the bass with the gain knob on the back. That's how mine are set up.

Supplemented bass with the Rythmik F15HP :cool::cool::cool:

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with some experimenting.

But, I own the GE T2, a close cousin to the DTs. I know that for the GE, Sandy recommends just using the speaker level inputs and dial in the bass with the gain knob on the back. That's how mine are set up.

Supplemented bass with the Rythmik F15HP :cool::cool::cool:
Great, will use the Gain Knob on the towers to tune in the towers. Although not a Rythmik, i hope ProSub1000 will provide enough supplemented bass. Indeed will be walking 'slipperybidness' slop hoping that receiver doesn't get fried, thanks...cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks lovinthehd

Nothing to fry on a pre-out. Your pre-out will have whatever frequencies dictated by use of the crossover in the avr, not much additional control via the low pass filter on the DT1000. If you want significant bass I'd simply get a better sub than anything from Definitive Technology....they just arent in the ballgame really.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Great, will use the Gain Knob on the towers to tune in the towers. Although not a Rythmik, i hope ProSub1000 will provide enough supplemented bass. Indeed will be walking 'slipperybidness' slop hoping that receiver doesn't get fried, thanks...cheers
Why are you worried about your receiver getting fired when the subs are powered?

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
Why are you worried about your receiver getting fired when the subs are powered?
Just Paranoid :) and lack of experience. But with all the help provided, i am not worried anymore. Thanks for all the help...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just Paranoid :) and lack of experience. But with all the help provided, i am not worried anymore. Thanks for all the help...
What’s the volume of the room in cubic feet? If it is open to other rooms, include those in the calculation. The sealed 10in sub is probably not enough to pressurize the space.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What’s the volume of the room in cubic feet? If it is open to other rooms, include those in the calculation. The sealed 10in sub is probably not enough to pressurize the space.
It's actually a 10" with a 10" passive radiator fwiw (I had to look it up earlier :) ). Even without the room being open to other space thats 3000cuft which would challenge a small sub like that.

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
It's actually a 10" with a 10" passive radiator fwiw (I had to look it up earlier :) ). Even without the room being open to other space thats 3000cuft which would challenge a small sub like that.
Do you mean to say ProSub1000 will not be enough, but if tower woofers are filling in from front and ProSub from the back corner, i should get enough Bass to fill-up the room?

By the way, room (including the extended open space) is about 5300 cu.ft.

Over weekend i tried 'Y' connector to get all subs going. The system worked fine for first movie i saw Saturday night.

Sunday morning, as i power on the system, the speakers gave 'static/low pitch sound' and receiver shut-off. Upon restart, AV Receiver went into self-diagnostic mode advising to check speaker connections, which were fine (Since it worked Saturday night). Now i checked each channels and subs individually and everything works great till i have 5.1.2 set-up.

The moment i add the 'Y' connector, the receiver trips. If i remove ProSub and keep stereo subs with 'Y' connector, everything works fine again.

In theory everything that 'loveinthehd' and 'slipperybidness' explained make sense but the system is not working now as 5.3.2. Help Help Help

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are simply splitting the subwoofer pre-out signal with y-connectors? What specific connectors? Might want to confirm all connections (and settings) with pics or describe them in detail. Sounds odd for sure....

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
You are simply splitting the subwoofer pre-out signal with y-connectors? What specific connectors? Might want to confirm all connections (and settings) with pics or describe them in detail. Sounds odd for sure....
You are simply splitting the subwoofer pre-out signal with y-connectors?
Yes

What specific connectors?
'Y' Connector: AmazonBasics 1-Male to 2-Female RCA Y-Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5H8RE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All Speaker Connections: 14 AWG Oxygen Free Wire, both ends have banana plugs

ProSub1000: Connected using Rocketfish Wireless Subwoofer Trasmitter
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-wireless-subwoofer-transmitter-receiver-kit-black/6965266.p?skuId=6965266

Tower Subs: Audio Quest - Black Lab
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-black-lab-9-8-in-wall-subwoofer-cable-black-white/2877581.p?skuId=2877581

Will Update the Receiver Settings soon...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i also checked both subwoofer pre-out on receiver independently for atleast two hours in each set-up below:
1: Pre-out 1 with ProSub
2: Pre-Out 2 with ProSub
3: Pre-Out 1 with 'Y' Connector and Stereo Tower Sub
4: Pre-Out 2 with 'Y' Connector and Stereo Tower Sub

If it counts, Saturday movie was:
Pre-Out 1 with 'Y' Connector/Stereo Tower Sub and Pre-Out 2 with ProSub

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What happens if you connect the ProSub1000 directly to the avr (bypassing the Rocketfish transmitter)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will try it out tonight. Do you think it's due to the Sub?
Don't really know but the Rocketfish is the odd piece I'd at least eliminate as a potential issue as it is in between your sub and the direct connection to the avr. Could be a defective cable but since it seems to work fine splitting signal to the bass modules in your speakers.... I'd also just check generally that as you move and change things around you don't have some other cabling issue that might be exacerbated....

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
Don't really know but the Rocketfish is the odd piece I'd at least eliminate as a potential issue as it is in between your sub and the direct connection to the avr. Could be a defective cable but since it seems to work fine splitting signal to the bass modules in your speakers.... I'd also just check generally that as you move and change things around you don't have some other cabling issue that might be exacerbated....
Connections:
1: ProSub1000: Monoprice 25ft RCA Cable (i had it at home)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2683

2: BP9040 Tower Subs: Y Connector + AudioQuest Cable
Details above in thread

AV Receiver Shuts-Off after a loud static beep from speakers.

Again, individually each set-up is working fine, i.e. ProSub1000 with RCA Cable or Tower Subs with Y connectors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Receiver Set-Up:
Configuration:
Speaker Channels:
There is no option to select 'x.2.x', i.e. select Pre-Out 1 or Pre-Out 2 or Both

Subwoofer: Yes

Speaker Impedance: 6ohm
Although manufacturer spec says 8ohm, receiver can only be set-up max for 6 ohm, other option is 4 ohms.

Crossover Settings:

Front, Center, Surround: Small

Crossover: 100Hz

Gain Knob on ProSub1000 eyeballed @ 80Hz. Since Receiver is sending 100Hz signal to Tower Subs and ProSub1000 thru pre-out, tower subs play 100Hz or less. ProSub1000 plays 80Hz or less.

Lowest setting on using knob on ProSub1000 is 40Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was confusing how you edited out the Rocketfish from your previous post.

You have two of those Audioquest things (your use is singular so not sure)? They've always worked well? You have the ground spade connected to something? Try different combos using the y now that you have three sub cables?

V

VicFanInt

Enthusiast
That was confusing how you edited out the Rocketfish from your previous post.

You have two of those Audioquest things (your use is singular so not sure)? They've always worked well? You have the ground spade connected to something? Try different combos using the y now that you have three sub cables?
i didn't really understand what you mean by 'Edited Out Rocketfish from your previous post'.

i still have the Rocketfish Transmitter/Receiver with me. From the Previous post, i understood that we wanted to take out the wireless transmitter out of equation and have physical wired connection for woofer.

In order to have a proper stereo subs, i purchased 'Y' connector with two pieces of AudioQuest sub cables assuming same make and model will transmit split signal at same rate. Yes, the 'Y' connection to tower sub always works. Ground Spade are just wrapped around the sub cable and secured using electric tape.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis