Help with reading my first REW graphs

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Unsmoothed is best for analyzing below 200 Hz. Above that, smoothing is recommended to prevent the graph from looking scary with the comb filtering.

Your bass has some serious nulls (the deep, sharp depressions). Can you give us a map of the room and your speaker locations, or some pictures?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yes of course... Here are some pictures of my room: The picture that seems furthest back is me standing with my back to the back wall. The room is 13 X 35ish feet... with that bar area about 10 X 10 feet. There is also a little 1.5 X 5 foot nook area to the right of the right speaker where there are some DVDs. I put a body pillow in the corner which seems to help a bit in the graph.

The last 3 pics with the panels on the walls is the set up that was used for the graph. I will be taking those dumb looking diamonds down and taking measurements to compare. I don't think they do anything but maybe...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15461321@N04/albums/72157696965700761https://www.flickr.com/photos/15461321@N04/albums/72157696965700761

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

A

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I took the diamonds off the wall and I was right that they didn't do anything. I mounted the bass trap and got a touch better but still need help locating the problems... any idea how to fix the spots around 40 60 and 100 Hz?

bass trap no diamonds.jpg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I took the diamonds off the wall and I was right that they didn't do anything. I mounted the bass trap and got a touch better but still need help locating the problems... any idea how to fix the spots around 40 60 and 100 Hz?

View attachment 25172
If your getting the minidsp, that can be EQed a little cut and a little boost between the 40 and 110hz regions. REW can apply what's needed to the minidsp.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

View attachment 25172
If you have other placement options for your sub(s), try them out! Also just moving the sub 6" while keeping it roughly in the same place will give a different result.
Because these are below the Schrodinger frequency, they are more about the room than the sub (or amp or source). You are always best off getting it as good as you can before applying DSP!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He said he isn't using a sub currently, but the same thing might go for trying different speaker placement....and still might play with the REW room simulator feature to see what it suggests with the room dims...

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hey guys yea no sub. I guess I will try to move the speakers around. Can you EQ speakers with the minidsp? I think I want to build real thick panels and block the space to the right speaker under the shelf. There is currently carpet there but it acts like a box laying on its side. It might help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys yea no sub. I guess I will try to move the speakers around. Can you EQ speakers with the minidsp? I think I want to build real thick panels and block the space to the right speaker under the shelf. There is currently carpet there but it acts like a box laying on its side. It might help.
The minidsp could take two channels of info in, so maybe your L/R speakers if you can insert it into a loop in your avr (unusual in avrs) otherwise you could insert it between pre-outs and an external amp.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I think it was just zoomed in because now I see 30.0 kHz.
I feel the blue line looks better than the green no? Next is how do I go about making it better? for example, how do I located the areas in the room that need fixing?
View attachment 25158
So I just put some panels on the walls and played around and I think this is the best result that I got.. Seems like there is an issue at 40 60 and 80 khz... how does this graph look? Is there anything I can do about all those squiggles in the higher frequencies?

View attachment 25161

View attachment 25172
Honestly that response is very good below 200hz. Unless the bass sounds bad I'd leave it alone. The HF squiggles are simply an artifact of room reflections, if you compare the graphs before and after you added the panels, you'll notice the variation is less extreme due to a reduction in the reflections. The in room response you have is nearly perfect.

Typically, you won't see a major benefit on a FR graph with mid and high frequency acoustic panel placement, but you will hear one. Depending on the room, speakers, and the placement, reflections can benefit or worsen the sound, particularly the imaging. You might just have to experiment and see whether or not it sounds better or worse to you with the treatments. For movies, I personally think reflections hamper the imaging and prefer a strong direct sound field. For stereo music, reflections help make up for the shortcomings of having only two speakers. Usually, it's a compromise. Too much treatment will make the room feel unnaturally dead, while a very reflective room may smear imaging, discrete impulse sounds, and worsen dialogue intelligibility.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Honestly that response is very good below 200hz. Unless the bass sounds bad I'd leave it alone.
Unless I’m looking at a different graph, he’s got a 10-12db swing from 100hz to 300hz, and not to mention 48-100hz has a few that are 5- 10db. I feel that that would be noticeable and I think he’s thinking correctly about fixing that. As long as it doesn’t include a major renovation.
Just my opinion.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Well that's good to hear... Thanks for the last two inputs. I am a slight perfectionist so I will continue to try and solve the dips... at least between 40 - 110 Hz. I think I will put corner traps in the corners and maybe even cover the entire front wall with panels since it is concrete. We'll see....

Any more thoughts anyone?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That peak might be helped by adjusting your speaker to sub crossover. It's certainly a cheap trick to try.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking at it as an average response. For in room, it's still pretty good. EQ might be able to flatten it out a bit, but all I meant is that it might not sound that bad as is.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Dips usually come from either the proximity of the speaker to boundaries or proximity of the listener to boundaries. See if moving the mic forward or back solves it, if so, it's due to the listening position.
Well that's good to hear... Thanks for the last two inputs. I am a slight perfectionist so I will continue to try and solve the dips... at least between 40 - 110 Hz. I think I will put corner traps in the corners and maybe even cover the entire front wall with panels since it is concrete. We'll see....

Any more thoughts anyone?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Dips usually come from either the proximity of the speaker to boundaries or proximity of the listener to boundaries. See if moving the mic forward or back solves it, if so, it's due to the listening position.

Great thank you I will try that!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you just taking a single measurement at your seat?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis