Help with 43" TV replace decision

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
PROBLEM: Replacing TV in family room, above fireplace in space where height must be less than 26 inchs tall with stand.
DETAILS: Room is ~16 ft by 16 ft and fairly bright, sit 11 ft from screen,
SOURCES: digital over-the-air, FireStick, and DVD (not BRay or 4k),
USE: sports/shows/news, have larger Samsung sets in HT and Master BedR for movies.
METRICS: Price range ~$200-500, care about (in order) reliability, ease of use, PQ, then price
QUESTIONS:
1) Any good reason(s) to spend $100-150 more for a 4k set given the above?
2) Should I avoid any of the following: LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or Toshiba in this lower size and price range?
3) Should I get or stay away from Smart sets given FireStick use?
4) Missed any other considerations?

Been out of the TV market for several years (lucky!) and not up to speed on who is making decent/better product.
Thanks,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung or Sony would be my choice. You're options will be pretty limited.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Samsung or Sony would be my choice. You're options will be pretty limited.
Thanks, have other Samsung product and have been pleased; but sadly past success does not always indicate current quality.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, have other Samsung product and have been pleased; but sadly past success does not always indicate current quality.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver
True, but going the "cheap" route with a low end set, to me, is asking for it to fail quickly or have issues of some kind.

The sad thing is the size you're looking for is typically "low end" for any manufacturer. I guess people don't want "small" tvs any more.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sony has two 43 inch sets. These are top quality, not low end. Here's why the 43 inch sets exist: they fit into cabinets which were made in the 1990s to accommodate the 35 inch CRT sets popular at that time, in residential and hotel environments. I bought one of the Sony sets last December. Only one issue, the set has just one analog component/progressive video input. Of course, if you have audio/video source components with HDMI output, TV analog inputs are moot.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Sony has two 43 inch sets. These are top quality, not low end. Here's why the 43 inch sets exist: they fit into cabinets which were made in the 1990s to accommodate the 35 inch CRT sets popular at that time, in residential and hotel environments. I bought one of the Sony sets last December. Only one issue, the set has just one analog component/progressive video input. Of course, if you have audio/video source components with HDMI output, TV analog inputs are moot.
Thanks to all for the ideas and help!
Bought the Sony X800E 43" at BB.
Fits great, and Android Smart features are up our alley as Android phone/tablet users.

Considered the X720E, but went wirh X800E to have familiar Android vice unfamiliar Sony user interface.

Set picture to Cinema for a much better look than the out-of-box Standard setting (too bright).

XEagleDriver

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Low end meaning the lower end of Sony's product line. Not low end as in cheaply made and low quality.

You aren't going to find a top of the line 42/43" TV any longer (which sucks because they have their purpose).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis