dual sub suggestions for roughly 4000k US

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hi - I am moving soon into a new house (see pic of basement) and would like to get some dual subs.

I live in Ottawa Canada and am strongly considering driving down to Chicago to get a pair of Seaton F18s. Price: 4000k US + 500ish Duty + taxes(800) + gas and hotel + accommodations (600) = 6000k US
($7700 CAD)

2 SVS ultra 16 free delivery to my door for $5600 + tax = $6328 CAD ($5000 US)

It's about 1k difference.. Is the SVS that much more worth it?

There is also 2 SVS PC400 cylinders for $4800 + tax = $5430CAD ($4230US)
The cylinders would either go in the corners or behind the screen... I am worried about vibrating the screen. I also don't want the cylinders to interfere with the towers possibly being in front of them if the subs were in the corners.

Should I consider any other options? I know funk would be great but out of budget now. I think I can get stretch my money better by not getting a Funk and opt for something cheaper that will be just as impactful. I have to consider that many manufacturers don't ship to CAD and I don't want to drive more than 10 hours to pick one up. The travel to Chicago may be a deciding factor to go with SVS.... let me know what you think.

My new basement in about 6 weeks found below:
basement front.jpg
basement back.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If driving to Chicago Seaton would be one suggestion, visiting JTR another. I'd definitely go for the dual Seatons over the single ($ - !) SVS 16, tho. Funk would be nice, tho.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
If driving to Chicago Seaton would be one suggestion, visiting JTR another. I'd definitely go for the dual Seatons over the single ($ - !) SVS 16, tho. Funk would be nice, tho.
Really eh... you wouldn't take the SVS deal delivered to your door for a 1k cheaper than driving for a couple of days and spending an extra 1k?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Really eh... you wouldn't take the SVS deal delivered to your door for a 1k cheaper than driving for a couple of days and spending an extra 1k?
It's not a apples to apples comparo. I don't live in Canada and I build my own subs :). However, I'd rather have the dual Seatons over the single SVS, even for $1k more and some inconvenience. I would even want a couple of JTR Captivators instead of a single SVS. Do you get an advantage with SVS warranty, tho? They don't offer the bill of rights in Canada as they do in the US, do they? Otherwise I wouldn't rank SVS all that highly myself, especially over the others mentioned.

Decisions decisions....I do feel for you, tho.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It's not a apples to apples comparo. I don't live in Canada and I build my own subs :). However, I'd rather have the dual Seatons over the single SVS, even for $1k more and some inconvenience. I would even want a couple of JTR Captivators instead of a single SVS. Do you get an advantage with SVS warranty, tho? They don't offer the bill of rights in Canada as they do in the US, do they? Otherwise I wouldn't rank SVS all that highly myself, especially over the others mentioned.

Decisions decisions....I do feel for you, tho.
not a single SVS a Dual SVS

Have you heard the SVS and the Seaton before?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I also dwell with woodworking and would also consider making some DIY but I just don't know the science behind making a couple of these.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
F18+ and F18 slave are 2.4k + 1k = 3.4k not 4k. No need to buy two F18+
Though it is a 12.5h+ stops long azz drive

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sealed for any particular reasons? Size? Easier to build a sealed sub....not much science other than determining proper box size for a given driver's T/S parameters (Thiele/Small), you can either follow existing designs or check your own with software like winisd or bassbox. Ported/vented boxes are more involved both in design/construction.

No, haven't heard subs from SVS or Seaton (I do have some SVS speakers, tho). I lusted after the Seaton Submersive for my first sub but went with someone with a less expensive similar design...the Epik Empire. Since then I've mostly built my own (picked up a couple others on sale here and there....have 9 subs in the house). If I had to buy commercially Seaton and JTR would be at the top of my list (well, Funk is too but that requires another level of funding).

BSA just beat me to my question about the F18 I was going to ask, too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi - I am moving soon into a new house (see pic of basement) and would like to get some dual subs.

I live in Ottawa Canada and am strongly considering driving down to Chicago to get a pair of Seaton F18s. Price: 4000k US + 500ish Duty + taxes(800) + gas and hotel + accommodations (600) = 6000k US
($7700 CAD)

2 SVS ultra 16 free delivery to my door for $5600 + tax = $6328 CAD ($5000 US)

It's about 1k difference.. Is the SVS that much more worth it?

There is also 2 SVS PC400 cylinders for $4800 + tax = $5430CAD ($4230US)
The cylinders would either go in the corners or behind the screen... I am worried about vibrating the screen. I also don't want the cylinders to interfere with the towers possibly being in front of them if the subs were in the corners.

Should I consider any other options? I know funk would be great but out of budget now. I think I can get stretch my money better by not getting a Funk and opt for something cheaper that will be just as impactful. I have to consider that many manufacturers don't ship to CAD and I don't want to drive more than 10 hours to pick one up. The travel to Chicago may be a deciding factor to go with SVS.... let me know what you think.

My new basement in about 6 weeks found below:View attachment 24098View attachment 24099
The Seaton subs and SVS subs are two very different types. The Seaton subs will have a huge advantage in midbass output and the SVS subs will have a major advantage in deep bass output. You might think about JTR which will have the deep bass output of the SVS subs and the midbass output of the Seaton subs. JTR is located in Union Grove Wisconsin so it is slightly North of Chicago. But you should stop by Chicago anyway, we have some neat things to see around here!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Judging by the size of the room in the pictures, one of the discussed subs should be more than enough.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Sealed for any particular reasons? Size? Easier to build a sealed sub....not much science other than determining proper box size for a given driver's T/S parameters (Thiele/Small), you can either follow existing designs or check your own with software like winisd or bassbox. Ported/vented boxes are more involved both in design/construction.
Sealed for no particular reason - After a lot of research, I've heard that they are a very good company that makes great subs.... 18 inches only cause it looks cool ;)

3.4 k as oppose to 4k is sounds much better thanks Admin. I was thinking master slave the whole way and not two masters.

I do want it for movies so maybe the SVS would be better for me but the Seaton's are just so nice.

What about the SVS cylinder.. The lighter weight sounds hella attractive.

I am sure 1 sub would do the job but I've always heard that 2 is the way to go is you want an even bass response. I could also getting two smaller subs instead of one larger one.

Thanks for the input guys.... the JTRs also look impressive. Anyone know how far that is from SVS headquarters?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Judging by the size of the room in the pictures, one of the discussed subs should be more than enough.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The room isn't very wide but wide enough (13 feet) It is quite deep.... something like 25 - 30 feet. However, the seating wouldn't be in the back of the room. It would look very much like the picture but different furniture and positioning.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Should I consider any other options? I know funk would be great but out of budget now. I think I can get stretch my money better by not getting a Funk and opt for something cheaper that will be just as impactful.
FWIW, Nathan does have some options beyond what shows up on the Funk website, so IMHO it's still worth at least a phone call to see what he could do for you. I'm thinking he could do a pair of 18.1's within your stated budget for example.

B

Blake NoLast

Audiophyte
I'd go with dual JTR 2400s, quad HSU VTF-15H mk2s, or the best option, if you can up your budget or wait for a sale, quad Monolith THX 15s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis