My cheaper Marantz vs my higher end stuff...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm going to take an educated guess based on everything you've said in the past and say that you really just want a good old high-end integrated amp.

You've considered both AVR and Pre-pro in the past, but it never resonated. Some guys just got to have the integrated amp.

I say do one more experiment. Use your NR1506 AVR to try out Audyssey Dynamic EQ. See if that makes the bass sound better than the 8005.

If DEQ makes the sound even better than the 8005, then get the Marantz Pre-pro.

If the Audyssey DEQ makes the sound no better or even worse than the 8005, then get the PM14S1.
Never crossed my mind to pull my AVR out of the DEN and try it in my audio room. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Vacation next week will lend some time to mess around.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Marantz, good gear been around a very long time. Maybe I will try a Marantz AVR soon. The Yamaha unit I have now is good but I do find it a lil brite some, from what I been reading Marantz seems to do a better job with music. What say you Marantz guys, any truth to that?. Enquiring Minds need to know;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz, good gear been around a very long time. Maybe I will try a Marantz AVR soon. The Yamaha unit I have now is good but I do find it a lil brite some, from what I been reading Marantz seems to do a better job with music. What say you Marantz guys, any truth to that?. Enquiring Minds need to know;)
In DIRECT modes, you won't hear any difference between the 2.

But you will hear the difference if you use Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

However, there is no guarantee that you will prefer one over the other. Buy from a local Best Buy or from Amazon Prime just in case you don't like Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Even if I were a billionaire, I would never buy any Pre-pro without Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

For example, I think the most expensive pre-pro right now with Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ is the $7,000 McIntosh MX122. The Marantz AV8805 is $4,500.

But that's just me. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General

However, there is no guarantee that you will prefer one over the other. Buy from a local Best Buy or from Amazon Prime just in case you don't like Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Even if I were a billionaire, I would never buy any Pre-pro without Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

For example, I think the most expensive pre-pro right now with Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ is the $7,000 McIntosh MX122. The Marantz AV8805 is $4,500.

So that's the most expensive. What's the least expensive with that option?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So that's the most expensive. What's the least expensive with that option?
The least expensive Pre-pro with Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ is the Marantz AV7703 that you mentioned.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General

Thanks, ADTG top of the evening to you Sir!.
I had a Onkyo with Audyssey XT32 but HDMI thing hit it. But before that happen loved the unit I was running two Subs and it did a fine job blending them in with the rest of the speakers. Accessories4less has some killer deals on Marantz and Integra's units with XT32. I don't need Atmos or DTS-X.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Since it's rare to find a dealer that sells Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and more brands, it's harder than ever to do a direct comparison but call me crazy, I have installed and listened to Yamaha for a long time and always thought the sound was a bit 'thin'- definitely wouldn't call it 'warm'.

This goes along with the issue of not noticing a difference unless it was being compared- we become accustomed to the sound and never have a problem with it until that bug where we just have to find out which sound better. Call it 'neurosis' or curiosity, but it's part of who we are.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, ADTG top of the evening to you Sir!.
I had a Onkyo with Audyssey XT32 but HDMI thing hit it. But before that happen loved the unit I was running two Subs and it did a fine job blending them in with the rest of the speakers. Accessories4less has some killer deals on Marantz and Integra's units with XT32. I don't need Atmos or DTS-X.
You probably could have fixed the HDMI board easily if you had a local repair shop. :D

Well, some people are able to grab a brand new Denon X3300 with Audyssey XT32 for $550 from their Fry's stores when they buy online.

Others have bought the Denon X3300 brand new from Amazon from $599.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Since it's rare to find a dealer that sells Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and more brands, it's harder than ever to do a direct comparison but call me crazy, I have installed and listened to Yamaha for a long time and always thought the sound was a bit 'thin'- definitely wouldn't call it 'warm'.

This goes along with the issue of not noticing a difference unless it was being compared- we become accustomed to the sound and never have a problem with it until that bug where we just have to find out which sound better. Call it 'neurosis' or curiosity, but it's part of who we are.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with Yamaha at least their mid-level units. Now my Son has the A1050 with the Sabre chips in it sounds much better than my 7790. I did go into the EQ settings and tweeted it some it helped but still had to trim back the treble. Will be upgrading my front mains in 6 months coining away for either Martin Logan 40 or Canton speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You probably could have fixed the HDMI board easily if you had a local repair shop. :D

Well, some people are able to grab a brand new Denon X3300 with Audyssey XT32 for $550 from their Fry's stores when they buy online.

Most brands use a service center in the Chicago area and I called a couple of weeks ago to get some info about whether replacing the HDMI board in a Denon AVR-990 was feasible. It's not. While it's not nearly new, it still works great, other than not sending HDMI input to the output, which still shows the AVR's menu GUI. I already did a hard reset- in fact, it's the reset service techs do when they replace this board, or the main/network circuits. We discussed the HDMI problem and he said that nobody was exempt from the troubles, but some were hit harder.

Used to be that manufacturers shot for a 1% failure rate, or less. Now, if they ever hit that number, I think their heads would explode. He said they're at about 5%, which I consider an unacceptable rate.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Correct. I however having audio budget money burning a hole in my pocket have been struck with upgrade itis again. In fact, going back and reading my last few threads started it seems I am all over the place with OCD and ADD.
I cannot disparage anyone suffering from upgrade-itis. I've been stricken with it a few times here and made a couple of purchases I didn't "need". No regrets tho. As long as you do your homework and really know what you're getting you'll be able to scratch that itch.

I'll tell ya, for me, getting a DSP, a mic and downloading REW made me feel like I got a big upgrade. Especially with my bass response. I'm not itching to get anything and haven't had it for a while. I like ATDG's suggestion. Give it a go.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I cannot disparage anyone suffering from upgrade-itis. I've been stricken with it a few times here and made a couple of purchases I didn't "need". No regrets tho. As long as you do your homework and really know what you're getting you'll be able to scratch that itch.

I'll tell ya, for me, getting a DSP, a mic and downloading REW made me feel like I got a big upgrade. Especially with my bass response. I'm not itching to get anything and haven't had it for a while. I like ATDG's suggestion. Give it a go.
Not to hijack this fun thread, but, when you get that itch, sometimes you've just gotta scratch it. For me, it's been 18 years since I upgraded anything; but, last December I bought a 4k TV; and, just last month, I purchased an OPPO UDP-205. Now, I'm saving for a Technics SL-1200GR. That's not at all like me, having learned to not spend money I don't have; and, a new turntable is not something I can say I need. My 40 year old Sony turntable works fine and sounds great but lacks features that have attracted me to the Technics model. At any rate, that's how I'm justifying it, hoping I don't have the need of some expensive car repair to make me regret the purchase.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General

Denon X3300 units have XT 32 for a good price.... wonder how that would compare to those Marantz units.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So. After looking it appears I can use my Marantz NR1506 as a Preamp with my ATI amp. Is this correct? Just use the pre out right. I have never tried using an AVR as a preamp only. I know... I have been in this hobby for a while but appear more dumb than ever.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So. After looking it appears I can use my Marantz NR1506 as a Preamp with my ATI amp. Is this correct? Just use the pre out right. I have never tried using an AVR as a preamp only. I know... I have been in this hobby for a while but appear more dumb than ever.:D
It is just limited in number of channels of pre-outs but it will work as a pre-amp just fine for 2ch.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Not to hijack this fun thread, but, when you get that itch, sometimes you've just gotta scratch it. For me, it's been 18 years since I upgraded anything; but, last December I bought a 4k TV; and, just last month, I purchased an OPPO UDP-205. Now, I'm saving for a Technics SL-1200GR. That's not at all like me, having learned to not spend money I don't have; and, a new turntable is not something I can say I need. My 40 year old Sony turntable works fine and sounds great but lacks features that have attracted me to the Technics model. At any rate, that's how I'm justifying it, hoping I don't have the need of some expensive car repair to make me regret the purchase.
Maybe you won't have to spend the money to get the Technics SL-1200GR. Have a look at the Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 DJ turntable which costs 75% less and is pretty well rated.

Actually, I have one and I am very satisfied with its build quality and its performance. It features a sturdy motor and will also play 78rpm records. I would not trade it for a Technics. I am not a DJ but a serious audiophile.

You can peruse several reviews on the web which might convince you and you would save quite a bit.

https://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/audio-technica-at-lp1240-usb-pre

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Been there still doing that..lol..I believe I was 16 years old when I bought a Realistic stereo 2-channel with two speakers a cassette deckand turntable. I haven't stop yet!.lol. There's something about this Hobby when it grabs ahold of ya. Many times I spent money I shouldn't have on this hobby and down the road something would come up. To this day at 59 I still don't regret one red cent that I've spent on audio gear.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe you won't have to spend the money to get the Technics SL-1200GR. Have a look at the Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 DJ turntable which costs 60% less and is pretty well rated.

Actually, I have one and I am very satisfied with its build quality and its performance. It features a sturdy motor and will also play 78rpm records. I would not trade it for a Technics. I am not a DJ but a serious audiophile.

You can peruse several reviews on the web which might convince you and you would save quite a bit.
Seems the 1240 is more like 25% of the 1200GR price (or 75% less) fwiw. I'd still take the Technics personally if the budget didn't matter...just because I have an SL1200mk2 for the last 34 years.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The pre-outs are always live, so just plug the ATI in and unplug the main speakers.
Based on your signature it looks like you are running stereo or 3 channels anyway (no surround speakers declared).
The slim-line has a lower level of audyssey.
@AcuDefTechGuy He needs to have audyssey on in some fashion to use DynamicEQ, right?
If you don't like what Audyssey MultEQ (instead of XT or XT32) does, I think you can run "left and right bypass" which will result in audyssey being applied to the surrounds and sub.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Seems the 1240 is more like 25% of the 1200GR price (or 75% less) fwiw. I'd still take the Technics personally if the budget didn't matter...just because I have an SL1200mk2 for the last 34 years.
You're right! I just got mixed up between Canadian and American prices.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis