Need new HTPC for server rack

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm settling into my new house, and the bonus room upstairs will be my theater room. I have all my equipment except for a new media/htpc to go in my server rack that will house all my a/v gear. I need something that isn't too big since I won't have a lot of room in the rack, but it will need to be able to run 4k video with ease. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, so I don't need the best of the best stuff, just something reliable. I'll probably just use a SSD for the boot drive and to run the playback software, and have a BD-ROM drive for disc playback, and a larger size HDD to store my media files. I know it's not too difficult to build a pc, but I'll probably just have one of my friends build it for me since they have experience with building PCs. So should I go with Intel or AMD, how much ram do I need, what would be a good case to use, should I run Windows 7 or Windows 10?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, except why Win7?

I'm on Win10 and never looked back. Why lock yourself into an older OS that will lose support sooner?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have no issue with amd or Intel or win 7. I've recently updated, upgraded, and purchased Win10 units and while I have no issues so far, their attempt to force updates is annoying (I can stop it but, won't for my daughters units).

My main desktop is still win 7 ultimate Sp1 with updates shut off and never an issue with malware or viruses, it's just stable and my server is running 7 with 14tb and never an issue

I've worked on too many win8/10 machines that are pre-configured that have hard disk issues (build your own).

Im a big believer in AMD for value. My desktop still competes with the latest upper I5s for what I need.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
HTPCs and 4k HDR are a bit of a pain. I tried to get it to be reliable on my main gaming rig and it's just a pain. It seems like auto switching to HDR mode isn't a thing yet for windows 10 (have to have windows 10 for HDR).

I hope the Kodi folks can figure something out, but I haven't been able to get it to work seamlessly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, except why Win7?

I'm on Win10 and never looked back. Why lock yourself into an older OS that will lose support sooner?
Eventually I will probably upgrade to Win10.

It’s just that Win7 has worked great for me for so long that I’m afraid to change. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have no issue with amd or Intel or win 7. I've recently updated, upgraded, and purchased Win10 units and while I have no issues so far, their attempt to force updates is annoying (I can stop it but, won't for my daughters units).

My main desktop is still win 7 ultimate Sp1 with updates shut off and never an issue with malware or viruses, it's just stable and my server is running 7 with 14tb and never an issue
Same here. Working great, not broken, so I have not tried to “fix” it with Win10.

The devil you know. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HTPCs and 4k HDR are a bit of a pain. I tried to get it to be reliable on my main gaming rig and it's just a pain. It seems like auto switching to HDR mode isn't a thing yet for windows 10 (have to have windows 10 for HDR).

I hope the Kodi folks can figure something out, but I haven't been able to get it to work seamlessly.
I figured it would be a big pain.

I am too cheap and timid to even attempt 4K & HTPC.

How much did you pay for the Graphics Card for 4K resolution?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I figured it would be a big pain.

I am too cheap and timid to even attempt 4K & HTPC.

How much did you pay for the Graphics Card for 4K resolution?
Mine is a gaming card, but I got a GTX 970 when they were new for something like $380.

IIRC you don't have to have an expensive card now to do HDR and 4K video. Something like a GTX 1050 or the lower end AMD models should work fine.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Mine is a gaming card, but I got a GTX 970 when they were new for something like $380.

IIRC you don't have to have an expensive card now to do HDR and 4K video. Something like a GTX 1050 or the lower end AMD models should work fine.
You're talking about streaming 4k right? Because those lower end cards are not going to be gaming smoothly (if at all) in 4k

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, and I said the same thing about XP
I remember hating XP and Win-2000. :D

Maybe I'm just waiting to see if my workplace (550-bed hospital where I work for 22 years) will upgrade from Win7 to Win10. :D

But I never hated Win7. With Win7, Kodi works great. 1080p, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA work great. My home network works great.

So what's truly better about Win10 (besides 4K HDR, which I don't have interest) ?

Does Kodi work better with Win10? Does home network work better with Win10?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You're talking about streaming 4k right? Because those lower end cards are not going to be gaming smoothly (if at all) in 4k
Yes, video only. Even high end cards can't play most games at 4k resolution. At least not with a decent frame rate.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Do I have to have a separate video card to run 4k video? I won't actually be running 4k video till I get a new 4k projector, which will likely be a few years out, just want to be ready for it when the time comes. I currently have a BenQ HT2050 and a Silver Ticket 120" screen.

What about a pc case, looking for something smallish that will only take up about 2 rack units if possible.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I remember hating XP and Win-2000. :D

Maybe I'm just waiting to see if my workplace (550-bed hospital where I work for 22 years) will upgrade from Win7 to Win10. :D

But I never hated Win7. With Win7, Kodi works great. 1080p, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA work great. My home network works great.

So what's truly better about Win10 (besides 4K HDR, which I don't have interest) ?

Does Kodi work better with Win10? Does home network work better with Win10?
Pretty much any techie or gamer will tell you that XP was the best!

I have never used Win8, but everyone I know says it sucked. Vista was a real dog OS too.

Honestly, in use, I don't notice much difference b/w Win10 vs Win7. I do believe that 10 is a bit of a slimmer OS and uses less resources. One of the other IT type guys on here may be able to provide more info.

To me, it's just clear that the day will come sooner for Win7 when it is no longer supported.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Win10 is more secure, if nothing else it is more secure by fact that free windows defender is much more advanced than one which comes with win7 or even (depreciated) MS security essentials"

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Win10 is more secure, if nothing else it is more secure by fact that free windows defender is much more advanced than one which comes with win7 or even (depreciated) MS security essentials"
I agree. Windows 10 updates are non optional. That is a really good idea. It keeps your computer up to date, secure and makes it far less likely you will get hit from someone else who does not know they are passing Malaware. All PCs should be running Win 10 ASAP.

I just took my last Win 7 to the electronic junk pile at Kabekona last week. It was a real piece of HP junk. So I have rebuilt a very nice i3 based computer for my wife's office in Eagan. I built in the old case of my original DAW, Death Star I. A really sturdy case from 2002. It took a little work to configure it for today's systems, but it seems a really good machine. This is my wife's first DIY PC. She has had 3 commercial efforts prior and all junk. DIY is the way to go.

I love the Windows 10 OS. we now have it on five installations. Three are fully DIY, one NUC which is partially DIY and my Dell Latitude lap top.

For an HTPC an integrated Intel chip is the way to go, as Bored suggests.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree. Windows 10 updates are non optional. That is a really good idea. It keeps your computer up to date, secure and makes it far less likely you will get hit from someone else who does not know they are passing Malaware. All PCs should be running Win 10 ASAP.

I just took my last Win 7 to the electronic junk pile at Kabekona last week. It was a real piece of HP junk. So I have rebuilt a very nice i3 based computer for my wife's office in Eagan. I built in the old case of my original DAW, Death Star I. A really sturdy case from 2002. It took a little work to configure it for today's systems, but it seems a really good machine. This is my wife's first DIY PC. She has had 3 commercial efforts prior and all junk. DIY is the way to go.

I love the Windows 10 OS. we now have it on five installations. Three are fully DIY, one NUC which is partially DIY and my Dell Latitude lap top.

For an HTPC an integrated Intel chip is the way to go, as Bored suggests.
I can agree for the most part, except those that buy instead of building. HP is a good example with their bloatware that isn’t properly tested prior to loading, which leads to ridiculous disk read and cpu issues, slowing the units to a crawl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis