I hate the upgrade bug!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Exactly... But what is it comparing to the size of universe? I think if you are trying to upgrade because you dont like something in your system this is fine. But you upgrade just to upgrade it is a waste of time and life...
I think "waste of life" is a little harsh... time and money? Definitely.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But it does have network connectivity, you could hard wire the avr and use your phone wirelessly over your network....
Yep. Airport express is perfect for this. You can AirPlay from your PC and your phone to your avr. 3.5 to stereo pair. Plus the Apple "remote" app gives more control.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I have a SVS PB-1000 and do want to add a second. That would for sure be we upgrade in my mind but I have to find a place for it. Really not much room or good solutions in the room. I also want to add the Outlaw audio model 976 processor when it comes out. That would be an upgrade that is achievable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Opportunity! I'd get a second sub. If you don't have room, sell your current one and upgrade.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Opportunity! I'd get a second sub. If you don't have room, sell your current one and upgrade.
I could for a second sub and I really want to do that. I could even hide it but it'd be very far away from the processor so I'd probably have to do wireless. Someone recommended a good one too and he swears by it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I could for a second sub and I really want to do that. I could even hide it but it'd be very far away from the processor so I'd probably have to do wireless. Someone recommended a good one too and he swears by it.

Hey Het, I saw you said you have room for only one sub? IMO, unless you have multiple seating, I'd upgrade to a great single. With a little time and care, a single can offer good performance. Maybe a cylinder model from svs. 2/3 of mine are cylinders, and I personally love the design. Small footprint, NOT small bass!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Would you say that exchanging recordings of some albums for some better sounding ones also fall into the upgrade bug?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Het, I saw you said you have room for only one sub? IMO, unless you have multiple seating, I'd upgrade to a great single. With a little time and care, a single can offer good performance. Maybe a cylinder model from svs. 2/3 of mine are cylinders, and I personally love the design. Small footprint, NOT small bass!
No, I can't fit another PB-1000 in my room but it'd be pretty far from the processor so I'd have to do wireless. I might do that in the near future.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
.................... and I'm done.

After that I'm just looking for good recordings.
LOL, we've all said that at one time or another !

after 35 years of di-poles (Maggies and Logans) I thought I'd never change ...... I did, last year to a pair of Revel Studio II's. Now I'm saying I'm done, finished, couldn't be happier ......... yeah, right !!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

after 35 years of di-poles (Maggies and Logans) I thought I'd never change ...... I did, last year to a pair of Revel Studio II's. Now I'm saying I'm done, finished, couldn't be happier ......... yeah, right !!
Wow we never lose that huh. I picked the wrong hobby or the wrong hobby picked me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, I can't fit another PB-1000 in my room but it'd be pretty far from the processor so I'd have to do wireless. I might do that in the near future.

Lol, what I meant was upgrading the PB1k to something more substantial. I thought I saw you mentioned a new sub as an option. If you've only got one seat, and the room isn't huge, I wouldn't worry about multiple subs too much.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Lol, what I meant was upgrading the PB1k to something more substantial. I thought I saw you mentioned a new sub as an option. If you've only got one seat, and the room isn't huge, I wouldn't worry about multiple subs too much.
Oh, ok. Everyone in the world keeps telling me the holy Grail is dual subs so that's a different take.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, ok. Everyone in the world keeps telling me the holy Grail is dual subs so that's a different take.

I think dual subs is the way to go for sure, but if you don't have the room...

I suggested the same thing as @William Lemmerhirt. If you don't have the room for duals, sell your PB1000 and go for a nice sub upgrade. How big is your room? How many ft^3 are you pressurizing?

*Edit: OR... you could try a nearfield setup with your current sub. I didn't think nearfield would work for me, but I was very impressed with what I heard when I checked out @Bucknekked's system. I couldn't locate where he had the sub and it was right against the back of my chair!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

I don't give much credit to this "I've done it and so will you" type of wisdom. That's a 50/50 call. I find it even a bit strange coming from you since here you have members who would never give the kind of money you give for TT's even when they have it or upgrade their analogue in any way. So it's not like everyone here does the same.

And I'm really not a proper audioholic, I don't explore the performance of equipment. Although, as I said, I appreciate people who do for their knowledge.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Well, multiple subs are ideal for multiple seating arrangements, not to mention the extra headroom. However, it's not as simple as plopping them down and getting great performance. It's actually easier to screw up multiple subs due to placement variations in the room, so it's important to mange placement and phase. Ideally you'd use REW to know for sure what is doing what. So if you have only one seat in a small room to deal with, a great single subwoofer can be actually better. Different take? Maybe, maybe not. But it's easy to get sucked into the "holy grail" one way to do things. Obviously in a 7000cuft room a single pb1000 isn't going to do much but in your case I know you love it. And conversely 4 18's in your room(and many) wouldn't be practical. So personally in your room I'd take one BAMF over 2 not quite as bad a$$. To me I'd rather put up with uneven response, but have more extension and output.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, multiple subs are ideal for multiple seating arrangements, not to mention the extra headroom. However, it's not as simple as plopping them down and getting great performance. It's actually easier to screw up multiple subs due to placement variations in the room, so it's important to mange placement and phase. Ideally you'd use REW to know for sure what is doing what. So if you have only one seat in a small room to deal with, a great single subwoofer can be actually better. Different take? Maybe, maybe not. But it's easy to get sucked into the "holy grail" one way to do things. Obviously in a 7000cuft room a single pb1000 isn't going to do much but in your case I know you love it. And conversely 4 18's in your room(and many) wouldn't be practical. So personally in your room I'd take one BAMF over 2 not quite as bad a$$. To me I'd rather put up with uneven response, but have more extension and output.
His room is 7000ft^3? I missed that somewhere, unless you're just using that as an example and I'm completely misreading your post... :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
His room is 7000ft^3? I missed that somewhere, unless you're just using that as an example and I'm completely misreading your post... :p
Lmao! Yes I just used an arbitrary number to try to make a point. Iirc, the room isn't that big.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah you know that bug bites us all but I'm extremely happy right now with what I have. I need to just focus on that because I am actually pretty thrilled everyday when I listen to the it. I think a sub is a good upgrade or addition because I want to try 2 subs.

I didn't want to clog up your Mythos thread so I'm quoting you here where it's on topic! :p

If I were you I'd sell the PB1000 and get a PB2000 if your room is tight. It's almost the same footprint. You could get a 2nd one down the road for a dual setup if you find space and some money. Keep an eye on their outlet I'm almost positive that'll scratch your itch for a while. If you can get $350-$400 (assuming it's in good condition) for your 1000 you're halfway there. Just sell it before you order a 2000. 'Nother $350-$400 and you own a PB2000.

I personally would never ever ever go without dual subs. I'm actually considering buying or building 2 more with similar, if not exact same performance. So take what I say there with a grain of salt. I love me some good clean bass. :cool:

I do believe you could benefit from an upgrade. It'll be similar to what you have now, but more everything so that should keep you happy for a while whilst you save up for a 2nd. You prolly see me type it all the time, but good subwoofage is almost always underrated. I really mean it. I don't think anything else I've done with my system has had as much impact as my subwoofage. I think there lies your opportunity. If the upgrade bug is biting, you could get away with a substantial upgrade for in the neighborhood of $400.

*Edit: They're similar enough that you could swap them out and I doubt your wife would notice! Oh, I'm bad, lol. Hey, I wouldn't suggest anything I wouldn't do! Of course YMMV and all that. :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't want to clog up your Mythos thread so I'm quoting you here where it's on topic!

If I were you I'd sell the PB1000 and get a PB2000 if your room is tight. It's almost the same footprint. You could get a 2nd one down the road for a dual setup if you find space and some money. Keep an eye on their outlet I'm almost positive that'll scratch your itch for a while. If you can get $350-$400 (assuming it's in good condition) for your 1000 you're halfway there. Just sell it before you order a 2000. 'Nother $350-$400 and you own a PB2000.

I personally would never ever ever go without dual subs. I'm actually considering buying or building 2 more with similar, if not exact same performance. So take what I say there with a grain of salt. I love me some good clean bass. :cool:

I do believe you could benefit from an upgrade. It'll be similar to what you have now, but more everything so that should keep you happy for a while whilst you save up for a 2nd. You prolly see me type it all the time, but good subwoofage is almost always underrated. I really mean it. I don't think anything else I've done with my system has had as much impact as my subwoofage. I think there lies your opportunity. If the upgrade bug is biting, you could get away with a substantial upgrade for in the neighborhood of $400.

*Edit: They're similar enough that you could swap them out and I doubt your wife would notice! Oh, I'm bad, lol. Hey, I wouldn't suggest anything I wouldn't do! Of course YMMV and all that. :p
Thinking back I should have bought the PB-2000 from the beginning but my old sub just died and my system sounded terrible. I ordered it quickly and it came quickly. I got it from the outlet for 449 so it was a good deal.
Also with the SM 65 and 55s you get a good deal of bass from them alone. There is a pretty good amount of bass in my room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis