I hate the upgrade bug!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just wanted to rant about one of the only things I hate about this hobby and it's the upgrade bug. I love my speakers, love them. I put this system together patiently over about a year as funds allowed. It sounds fantastic to where I instinctively say at times"wow that sounds awesome" and jaw drops. But then there is that thought that creeps in of what would sound better and at what cost. I've got to learn to be happy with what I have and not worry about anything else. Easier said than done but I'm getting better at saying "boy I'd like that but nah". Most of us go through this in this hobby though right?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you love your speakers then be happy with them. You've been going back and forth about wanting to upgrade, but every time you mention it, you tell us all how much you love your current speakers. I love mine now too and I feel no urge to upgrade.

There is another bug, just as insidous, that has gotten a hold of me lately. The perfection bug. Lately I've been obsessing about crossover points, direct mode, different Audyssey settings... all in the name of chasing after that perfect sound. You know what keeps me busy? My Umik mic and REW. When you start getting a clearer picture of what's happening in your room with your equipment, you get ideas that don't involve breaking the bank buying new speakers. ;)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
That's why I have multiple rooms with different setups, my main is with my best/favorite gear. The others I will buy/sell/trade to play around with different equipment.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If you love your speakers then be happy with them. You've been going back and forth about wanting to upgrade, but every time you mention it, you tell us all how much you love your current speakers. I love mine now too and I feel no urge to upgrade.

There is another bug, just as insidous, that has gotten a hold of me lately. The perfection bug. Lately I've been obsessing about crossover points, direct mode, different Audyssey settings... all in the name of chasing after that perfect sound. You know what keeps me busy? My Umik mic and REW. When you start getting a clearer picture of what's happening in your room with your equipment, you get ideas that don't involve breaking the bank buying new speakers. ;)
Oh wow that's interesting. I don't have that bug as bad as you for sure. Just in speaker placement but I kinda get it as good as I can and forget about it.
I should just be happy and I am but you know how it goes in this hobby. I'll get over it, just a rant to get that off my chest.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh wow that's interesting. I don't have that bug as bad as you for sure. Just in speaker placement but I kinda get it as good as I can and forget about it.
I should just be happy and I am but you know how it goes in this hobby. I'll get over it, just a rant to get that off my chest.

I hear ya. I just tossed out Umik and REW as a cheaper alternative to an upgrade that may help you achieve better results. Or at least confirm for you that you have it set up as best as you can. You might find just moving stuff a little bit could help a lot. When I spread my speakers further apart I felt like I did an upgrade. It was definitely audibly noticeable.

Also, I don't remember what you have for a sub? Right there could be an opportunity for a good upgrade.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I appreciate your way and do honestly think that without it you'd probably be less of an expert in the field, but I'm really not like that. I'm not rubbing it in, but I can't wait to finish my project and forget the equipment. Once I get to reasonably accurate and full range, I'm just going for more albums and more music. (I'm a kind of a guy who buys two pairs of pants if they're good:D:D my GF goes berserk).

My goal is 2.1 system (KEF LS50's and hopefully a SVS Ultra13 SB), amp with solid headphones section, solid phono stage, mains in & out and (hopefully) 2x100Wpch into 8, multiformat CD player (SACD, CD, burned CD and hopefully USB type B in for the laptop), second hand TT and I'm done.

After that I'm just looking for good recordings.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I hear ya. I just tossed out Umik and REW as a cheaper alternative to an upgrade that may help you achieve better results. Or at least confirm for you that you have it set up as best as you can. You might find just moving stuff a little bit could help a lot. When I spread my speakers further apart I felt like I did an upgrade. It was definitely audibly noticeable.

Also, I don't remember what you have for a sub? Right there could be an opportunity for a good upgrade.
Yeah I have a SVS PB-1000 and do want to add a second. That would for sure be we upgrade in my mind but I have to find a place for it. Really not much room or good solutions in the room. I also want to add the Outlaw audio model 976 processor when it comes out. That would be an upgrade that is achievable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, unfortunately upgrade-fever is normal for all Audioholics.

In fact, you're not truly an Audioholics unless you have this disease. :D

You won't be satisfied until you've "been there and done it".

Otherwise, you'll just keep on second guessing yourself.

I just did a quick estimate of the amount of money I've spent in this hobby (speakers & electronics) over the past 20 years. I came up with about $165,000.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, unfortunately upgrade-fever is normal for all Audioholics.

In fact, you're not truly an Audioholics unless you have this disease. :D

You won't be satisfied until you've "been there and done it".

Otherwise, you'll just keep on second guessing yourself.

I just did a quick estimate of the amount of money I've spent in this hobby (speakers & electronics) over the past 20 years. I came up with about $165,000.
Yikes I don't even want to think about it and I don't think I could add it up. We chose and expensive hobby boys. Buckle up it's going to be a bumpy ride full of holes in your pocket.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yikes I don't even want to think about it and I don't think I could add it up. We chose and expensive hobby boys. Buckle up it's going to be a bumpy ride full of holes in your pocket.
You are thinking about it, when you keep posting about it.:)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You are thinking about it, when you keep posting about it.:)
No, I meant thinking about the money spent. I'm always, constantly thinking about upgrading.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the nature of consumerism in the great shopping states of america :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wanted to be able to listen to my iTunes library on my iPhone through my AVR, so I added a bluetooth adapter to the AVR. That's about the extent of my 'upgrade bug' ! :p, and I didn't get the generic Amazon Basics adapter! I opted for the more expensive one because it's got the name Harman-Kardon on it! :cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wanted to be able to listen to my iTunes library on my iPhone through my AVR, so I added a bluetooth adapter to the AVR. That's about the extent of my 'upgrade bug' ! :p, and I didn't get the generic Amazon Basics adapter! I opted for the more expensive one because it's got the name Harman-Kardon on it! :cool:
Why don't you just use airplay on the phone and receiver?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Tell me about it. I keep saying I need cheaper hobbies, but then I can't find any that interest me. Or it seems cheap at first, then I get into it and I'm like "Damn, there goes the money again."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Upgrade bug is good for you. Motivation to work harder to pay for all of those expensive hobbies lol. Except now that I got my promotion, I spend more time working :(

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
That's the nature of consumerism in the great shopping states of america :)
Exactly... But what is it comparing to the size of universe? I think if you are trying to upgrade because you dont like something in your system this is fine. But you upgrade just to upgrade it is a waste of time and life...

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Exactly... But what is it comparing to the size of universe? I think if you are trying to upgrade because you dont like something in your system this is fine. But you upgrade just to upgrade it is a waste of time and life...
It is night in uk already. This prob explain my last a couple of random phrases...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis