XM Radio Sound Quality Issues?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have been an avid XM user for the past few months since it came standard in my Acura TL. However, I have noticed voices sound very metallic at times which I suspect is an issue of excessive compression. Any other XM users out there have similar experiences?

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Compression

Nah; It's probably you just gettting used to being on land again after a week at sea.:) BTW: Have you checked in the mirror for "tin" ears?:D :D :D :D
d.b.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most programming falls, sonically, far short of a typical 128kbps MP3. But that aside, it may be a case to buy better speakers for your car.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My car has a pretty decent audio system which is part of the 5.1 DVD-A surround package from Elliot Scheiner and Panasonic. It sounds great with DVD-A, CD and even FM radio but very disappointing with XM radio. I will likely be letting my subscription run out. I never really paid much attention to XM until I had it and now I will likely pay a lot less attention to it after my 3 month trial period expires :rolleyes:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I though Radio was EQ'ed a certain why to please todays youth demographic? You know, boomy bass, shrilling highs and non exsitant mids.

SheepStar

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The XM issue I am hearing is not an issue of EQ'ing. Its digital artifacting due to over compression. Its really bad and now that I clearly hear it, I can't bare to listen to XM anymore.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
gene said:
The XM issue I am hearing is not an issue of EQ'ing. Its digital artifacting due to over compression. Its really bad and now that I clearly hear it, I can't bare to listen to XM anymore.
Well, I sure won't get XM anytime soon. Thanks for the heads up.

SheepStar

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Acura TL Audio System

Friends have an Acura TL with the ELS audio system. I sent them an Eric Clapton DVD with DTS to play in their TL. They say it won't play. Have you had any difficulty playing DTS DVDs in your car?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I sent them an Eric Clapton DVD with DTS to play in their TL. They say it won't play. Have you had any difficulty playing DTS DVDs in your car?
Unfortunately most of my DTS CD's are in storage until I move into my new home next month. I do have a handful of DVD-A discs that are working just fine. I hope it isn't true b/c I have alot of DTS CD's that would be great to use in the car. I will let you know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis