BenQ W1070 hdmi issues

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
I use a 4 port HDMI switcher, DirecTV box and Chromecast on my 110" projector screen.

Monoprice has gone through everything as far as issues with their switcher and cables, but we found nothing wrong after many tests.

When I channel surf using the DirecTv box, the projector screen blanks out and reads "source searching" and then "input detected". This happens after every channel. Very annoying...

When I switch sources like from DirecTV to Chromecast the projector screen reads HDMI 1 and then automatically switches to HDMI 2. At that point I manually have to switch it back to HDMI 1.

Is this projector defective? BenQ claims they have never heard of such thing.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't the first time I have heard of it though.

You want to make sure that 'auto source' is turned off on the projector.

You want to ensure that HDMI-CEC is turned off on the projector, cable box, Chromecast, and anything else connected.

You want to try running the HDMI cable directly from the source to the projector bypassing the HDMI switcher and see if the issue still occurs.

I'm not actually sure of the outcome of the last time I have heard this, but it may even have been related to the HDMI cable that was in use, so you may also want to try a short HDMI cable connected directly to the source.

I run my projector through a large HDMI matrix and use component video and while it takes a while to sync initially, I haven't had any issues like you are describing.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
This isn't the first time I have heard of it though.

You want to make sure that 'auto source' is turned off on the projector.

You want to ensure that HDMI-CEC is turned off on the projector, cable box, Chromecast, and anything else connected.

You want to try running the HDMI cable directly from the source to the projector bypassing the HDMI switcher and see if the issue still occurs.

I'm not actually sure of the outcome of the last time I have heard this, but it may even have been related to the HDMI cable that was in use, so you may also want to try a short HDMI cable connected directly to the source.

I run my projector through a large HDMI matrix and use component video and while it takes a while to sync initially, I haven't had any issues like you are describing.
I did everything you mentioned and still get the same thing. I should be getting the HT2050 so I'll test that out as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I did everything you mentioned and still get the same thing. I should be getting the HT2050 so I'll test that out as well.
The question to ask is which units are HDCP certified. Unless they are HDCP certified you can't trust them.

My bet is probably the switcher, as they are low cost and the very high cost of certification is skipped usually.

I used to have trouble with a Rotel pre/ pro that did not have HDMI. I found switchers to be bad news, at least back then.

What is the reason you are not using a receiver or pre/ pro? That would likely solve your problem unless the BenQ is not certified. I know that using units not HDCP certified causes no end of trouble.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
The question to ask is which units are HDCP certified. Unless they are HDCP certified you can't trust them.

My bet is probably the switcher, as they are low cost and the very high cost of certification is skipped usually.

I used to have trouble with a Rotel pre/ pro that did not have HDMI. I found switchers to be bad news, at least back then.

What is the reason you are not using a receiver or pre/ pro? That would likely solve your problem unless the BenQ is not certified. I know that using units not HDCP certified causes no end of trouble.
It cant ne the switcher if I plugged the DirecTV cable directly into the projector and the same thing happened.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What is the reason you are not using a receiver or pre/ pro? That would likely solve your problem unless the BenQ is the not certified. I know that using units not HDCP certified causes no end of trouble.
It cant ne the switcher if I plugged the DirecTV cable directly into the projector and the same thing happened.
In that case the BenQ projector is either defective or not certified. Ask BenQ if their units are HDCP certified and if so by whom. If they are not HDCP certified then dump them.

Just before I pressed the post button, I did a quick search. There are pages of stuff about BenQ HDMI issues. Just go to the AVS forum and see the complaints. My bet is those units are not certified and likely in the junk category.

When they said they "never heard of it", they lied though their teeth.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast

What is the reason you are not using a receiver or pre/ pro? That would likely solve your problem unless the BenQ is the not certified. I know that using units not HDCP certified causes no end of trouble.

In that case the BenQ projector is either defective or not certified. Ask BenQ if their units are HDCP certified and if so by whom. If they are not HDCP certified then dump them.

Just before I pressed the post button, I did a quick search. There are pages of stuff about BenQ HDMI issues. Just go to the AVS forum and see the complaints. My bet is those units are not certified and likely in the junk category.

Here are the specs. I don't see HDCP. So I shouldn't go with this then?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050.htm

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Here are the specs. I don't see HDCP. So I shouldn't go with this then?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050.htm
Manufacturers don't always provide HDCP certification in their specs. Ask BenQ the question. Tell them you want a straight answer and you will check with whomever they say certified the unit.

I have been at this long enough to know you do not use uncertified gear. If you can not confirm certification then DO NOT go with it.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
Manufacturers don't always provide HDCP certification in their specs. Ask BenQ the question. Tell them you want a straight answer and you will check with whomever they say certified the unit.

I have been at this long enough to know you do not use uncertified gear. If you can not confirm certification then DO NOT go with it.
It doesn't say it anywhere in their specs so I'll call them.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast

Here's what they told me over at BenQ.

Thoughts?

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast

I use a soundbar with Toslink and the switcher supports it. I tried and AV with a home theater setup and just didn't like it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Whoever you spoke to invented that out of the back of his neck on the spot. The government has nothing to do with it! Your got BS.

Here is the official HDCP Digital protection site.

If you scroll down to HDCP authorized test sites and click on HDMI you will see a list of the authorized test sites. No mention of a government site!

My feeling at this time is the BenQ are unscrupulous, lying purveyors of junk.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast

Should I check if the switcher is HDCP compliant as well or were you just saying the projector should be checked?

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
Whoever you spoke to invented that out of the back of his neck on the spot. The government has nothing to do with it! Your got BS.

Here is the official HDCP Digital protection site.

If you scroll down to HDCP authorized test sites and click on HDMI you will see a list of the authorized test sites. No mention of a government site!

My feeling at this time is the BenQ are unscrupulous, lying purveyors of junk.
I understand, but in my case with my issues I think it may be best just to get something like a 70" tv and call it a day.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Should I check if the switcher is HDCP compliant as well or were you just saying the projector should be checked?
No, just drop that BenQ junk like a hot potato!

However it would not hurt to check if that switcher is compliant, you can take it your BenQ projector is not.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
No, just drop that BenQ junk like a hot potato!

However it would not hurt to check if that switcher is compliant, you can take it your BenQ projector is not.
What projector would you recommend within the HT2050 budget that I have?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I understand, but in my case with my issues I think it may be best just to get something like a 70" tv and call it a day.
I can't tell you what to get except not BenQ. You can purchase and HDCP compliant TV or a compliant projector, whatever you prefer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What projector would you recommend within the HT2050 budget that I have?
Epson always seem to show up at the top of everyone's list for projectors.

I have a 65" Panasonic Plasma screen, a 50" plasma screen, a 50" Fujitsu plasma screen and a 42" Sony Bravia LED screen. Sadly those lovely Panasonic plasma screens are no longer made.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
Epson always seem to show up at the top of everyone's list for projectors.

I have a 65" Panasonic Plasma screen, a 50" plasma screen, a 50" Fujitsu plasma screen and a 42" Sony Bravia LED screen. Sadly those lovely Panasonic plasma screens are no longer made.
What size is best for a larger basement Rec room? 800-900 sq ft. 70" tv?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis