Car Advice Honda CRV

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey!

I work for Honda/Acura so let me chime in here...

If you want to upgrade your headlights GE Nighthawk Platinum's are really the only thing you should do. LED And HID Conversion kits use bulbs that disperse light differently then a halogen bulb (LED bulbs are not omnipolar, and HID bulbs are longer). The Housing isn't setup to use these dispersion patterns and will result in frayed light shining above the cutoff line and into on coming traffics eye line. Also, the LED bulbs i've seen installed in write ups seemed to shoot the light either far down, or up close only, not both.

Honda Cloth seats take a LONG time to break down, and more modern seats are more durable then the ones i've had in the past (1991 Civic). I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are regularly dirty though a seat cover will protect your investment (your friends might make Italian jokes).

Usually the factory trailer hitch has a plastic piece or some sort of adapter that doesn't require you to cut the bumper in half. You might be able to buy the plastic trim/garnish separately if you're looking for a different hitch (class 3 as the Honda one will only be Class 1).

Hope this helps!

SheepStar
Hey thanks man, I forgot you work for Honda/Acura. I'll definitely look into those other bulbs.

Things tend to get a bit dirty, especially during soccer season when I'm coaching and when I visit my parents. I will probably end up with seat covers eventually.

I was looking at a third party hitch just because it was cheaper. Not sure what class it is, probably class 1 like the Honda.

Thanks again.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You can buy class 3 hitches for Class 1 cars, but if you're concerned about the looks just buy the Honda made hitch trim. If the car needs a hitch trim when you install a hitch, Honda will be able to sell it separately from the tow package. I know, I sell them all the time.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You can buy class 3 hitches for Class 1 cars, but if you're concerned about the looks just buy the Honda made hitch trim. If the car needs a hitch trim when you install a hitch, Honda will be able to sell it separately from the tow package. I know, I sell them all the time.

SheepStar
Nah, I wasn't concerned about the looks. I was wondering about the appearance panel and wondering if it was ok to just leave off instead of having to trim. I found a few replies online and they said it didn't serve a purpose and it was ok to just leave off.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I'm back for more Honda CR-V stuff. I finally ordered that Curt hitch and now I'm wondering if the bolts should be lubed prior to installation. For raw bolts, or bolts that come unoiled I'm pretty sure those need to be lubed up, but I'm unsure of the protocol for plated bolts. Those still need to be lubed?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Regarding LED headlight conversion, I would not recommend it. Just as putting HID bulbs in enclosures designed for halogen, sticking LED bulbs in the same enclosures will likely yield poor results that are probably illegal because they now create glare issues for oncoming drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/2fynd2/for_anyone_thinking_about_putting_any_led/

Factory LED lights are starting to become more common. My Mazda 6 has factory LED lights. The units are designed from the ground up to be LED. They have motors and shutters and all sorts of stuff. They did not stick some LEDs in a standard housing and call it good. The lights on my car perform excellently and show that LED headlights are certainly viable but unless you're replacing the entire light housing with one designed for LED I would not install aftermarket LED bulbs.

Now I wish we could get some of the awesome new headlight tech that the rest of the world is getting but we can't have due to some archaic U.S. Laws.

U.S. Spec models like mine aren't allowed to have the cool feature that carves out areas of light to prevent blinding other drivers. Instead, we are only allowed to have high and low beam.
leds, shmeledis - so 20th century tech. Behold 21st Tech - Lasers for headlights

and of course totally banned in US and A :(

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So I'm back for more Honda CR-V stuff. I finally ordered that Curt hitch and now I'm wondering if the bolts should be lubed prior to installation. For raw bolts, or bolts that come unoiled I'm pretty sure those need to be lubed up, but I'm unsure of the protocol for plated bolts. Those still need to be lubed?
I generally put a bit of grease or anti-seize on any bolts. Just check them a few days after to re-torque. I have one of those hitches on our car. If you use a receiver cover, make sure you take of off occasionally. Ours is seized on and I need to get the bike rack on.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I generally put a bit of grease or anti-seize on any bolts. Just check them a few days after to re-torque. I have one of those hitches on our car. If you use a receiver cover, make sure you take of off occasionally. Ours is seized on and I need to get the bike rack on.
It came with a rubber cover, shouldn't be any problems with that should there?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
After exhausting and unsuccessful attempts at pulling my hitch out left me bruised and bleeding, I paid a Swamp Yankee $38 to beat it off for me. You could probably beat yours off yourself. Hahahaha :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It came with a rubber cover ...
Of course it did !!! :D

Craig, this be the magic lube. Those cheap 3 lb mallets from Harbor Freight work alright for this ... I've never recommended their stuff before but how can you f^%& up a hammer?

In case this isn't about car stuff ... better code, guys ... this is a little obvious.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well the 40 min job took closer to 90 mins, but not because of any error of the hitch. The threads under the muffler were so rusted and full of gunk it was nearly impossible to get anything threaded in there.

Also the muffler almost wouldn't move enough to get the torque wrench in there. Anyways, couple degrees crooked, but nothing to make me want to crawl back under there for.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyways, couple degrees crooked
It'll work good for when you want to pull a trailer down the road sideways. :D

Hey, the insert part? Are they all standard? My truck has a Reese Hitch. What would I have to get to haul two bikes on that ... in case I ever want to buy bikes.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It'll work good for when you want to pull a trailer down the road sideways. :D

Hey, the insert part? Are they all standard? My truck has a Reese Hitch. What would I have to get to haul two bikes on that ... in case I ever want to buy bikes.
Ain't nothin' getting towed. :p For whatever reason it looks more crooked than it actually is. I estimate it's about 4 degrees off center judging by the receiver vs the rear tailgate locking loop which I assume to be parallel to the rest of the vehicle. I may bring it into my school and ask if they can square it up.

I'm going to assume you're serious :D Just match up the bike rack with the size of your receiver or get an adapter. I purposely got a 2" receiver vs 1.25" because I eventually want to get the heavy duty 1up bike rack. Most hitch bike racks specify which size they fit and most mftg make a variety of bike racks to fit both sizes. Some, like Thule, make bike racks with will fit both sizes.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm going to assume you're serious :D
Biking is suppose to be good for knee health. You're right to question my desire. The unspoken charge answered with a guilty plea. Then there's the cost of the bike, helmet, gay clothes ... etc. But yeah, bike riding be of great benefit. I'll keep an eye out on CL.

EDIT: BTW, which one is it that Greg likes? Is that what you got? I'm obsessed with health after eating pizza, chocolate and ice cream last night. I think I might be starting to see the problem.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Biking is suppose to be good for knee health. You're right to question my desire. The unspoken charge answered with a guilty plea. Then there's the cost of the bike, helmet, gay clothes ... etc. But yeah, bike riding be of great benefit. I'll keep an eye out on CL.

EDIT: BTW, which one is it that Greg likes? Is that what you got? I'm obsessed with health after eating pizza, chocolate and ice cream last night. I think I might be starting to see the problem.
There are tons of good brand name bikes on CL for relatively cheap. The big thing is getting properly sized. If you don't mind, pick a brand you want to explore, go to a real bike shop that sells that brand, get sized, then keep an eye out on CL for bikes that brand and size. You don't need clothes, but I do recommend a few things.

First, either a padded seat or padded bike shorts that you can wear under regular shorts. Either way, spandex is your friend. If no spandex, then extended rides are going to cause a lot of chafing and boxers/underwear turning into thongs. Not pretty.

Second, definitely invest in a simple bike tool and extra inner tubes to be carried with you on rides. Even a short couple mile ride can turn into a nightmare if you pop a tire with no spare innertube.

Third, to go along with the spandex, a shirt like an under armour material type material if you don't have one. Cotton, summer, and bike riding are a big no go IMO.

You may never get to this point, but I also highly recommend clip in bike shoes if you ever get comfortable enough on a bike for such things, but that's a ways down the line at this point.

The one that Greg likes is the one I mentioned. They're pricey, but he's definitely right, but they are excellent bike racks. As someone who's owned a couple different types, albeit all that mount the bike using the top tube, I hate them.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw where you mentioned a Curt hitch but missed the 1 Up stuff. I did go and track down Greg's SUV thread for pic's though. I joined a fancy gym this year and that's going to be enough for this season but if things go good I might turn into one of those guys that goes for two week long bike rides to buy a turntable.

WOW, I re-read your post and saw the 1up. Before I glazed over that and went with 'heavy duty' as the take away. Sorry. I hate it when people don't understand the English I use. Yesterday was rough. Moar coffee. :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just buy a mini van.

:D
My friend used to drive one and he called it 'The Loser Cruiser'.

I have a work van and if I want to ride the bike to some place that's too far to ride to AND go for a ride, I put it inside- I hold it in place with bungie cords.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My friend used to drive one and he called it 'The Loser Cruiser'.

I have a work van and if I want to ride the bike to some place that's too far to ride to AND go for a ride, I put it inside- I hold it in place with bungie cords.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis