Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Meaning you want to talk about yours? Try using soap on the weekends.

My place looks disturbingly messy ... and I still want to tear stuff apart. I want to get power from the 20 amp hall circuit into the same box as my closet light switch. Shelves have to come down. Door casing has to come off. Drywall is getting cut ... no ... eff that. I need more coffee.
My response was admittedly ambiguous. Let me clarify: I don't want to talk about my rash either. Wait...what?o_O

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just tried for over an hour to install a faucet, but as it turns out - the darn thing was built wrong and it has a blockage where the water line for the spout is supposed to run - so it's impossible to install that part. I installed the main body, had the problem, took it out and thought that maybe I fixed it, installed it again...and same problem. I bet Moen makes it right because they always do, but dang - what a hassle. Their quality control seems to be slipping.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just tried for over an hour to install a faucet, but as it turns out - the darn thing was built wrong and it has a blockage where the water line for the spout is supposed to run - so it's impossible to install that part. I installed the main body, had the problem, took it out and thought that maybe I fixed it, installed it again...and same problem. I bet Moen makes it right because they always do, but dang - what a hassle. Their quality control seems to be slipping.
I've yet to be so bored that I just started doing plumbing.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I installed one of their rough-in shower valves yesterday.
I like Delta/ kohler better.
Cheers, Mac

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've yet to be so bored that I just started doing plumbing.
As a matter of fact I am avoiding doing the plumbing work that needs doing. I need to replace the cold side valve on the bathroom sink. It drips. I already did this once. I need to remove the valve and take it to the plumbing supply a couple of miles from here. They're closed today. Most other days I just don't wanna.

Hmmm ... I could cut into my closet wall ...

... but I'm probably just gonna eat and sleep. eff the laundry too.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sold the Aragon, Note 3, and Note 8. Now just need to figure out how to hide 42" worth of subwoofers from the GF.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sold the Aragon, Note 3, and Note 8. Now just need to figure out how to hide 42" worth of subwoofers from the GF.
End tables, coffee table, vase stands ... just never call them speakers or anything else audio related. Become an expert on changing the topic. Propose if need be. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As a matter of fact I am avoiding doing the plumbing work that needs doing. I need to replace the cold side valve on the bathroom sink. It drips. I already did this once. I need to remove the valve and take it to the plumbing supply a couple of miles from here.
I used to live in a house with 1960's plumbing. All the faucets (except the kitchen sink) had washers. I eventually became expert at replacing washers.

Does your leaky faucet valve have washers? If so, remove the valve core (the part the washer is attached to) and take that, with the washer attached, to the plumbing supply store. I used to think all washers the same diameter could be used interchangeably. No, different shaped washers are needed, depending on the make & model of the faucet. The guys at the shop, if they're any good, should be able to look at the core and tell what type of washer you need.

They can also look at the washer and see if you have to replace the valve seat. That's the removable brass ring the that the washer pushes against when the faucet is off. These seats can get nicked or worn so even a new washer leaks.

In the 80's I replaced a number of those seats and then the faucets were as good as new. Still, most hot water faucets needed new washers every 6 months, and the cold water faucet washers lasted about 2 years. When I moved to my present house in 1993, all the faucets were washerless, an I lost all my faucet kung-fu skills.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to live in a house with 1960's plumbing. All the faucets (except the kitchen sink) had washers. I eventually became expert at replacing washers.

Does your leaky faucet valve have washers? If so, remove the valve core (the part the washer is attached to) and take that, with the washer attached, to the plumbing supply store. I used to think all washers the same diameter could be used interchangeably. No, different shaped washers are needed, depending on the make & model of the faucet. The guys at the shop, if they're any good, should be able to look at the core and tell what type of washer you need.

They can also look at the washer and see if you have to replace the valve seat. That's the removable brass ring the that the washer pushes against when the faucet is off. These seats can get nicked or worn so even a new washer leaks.

In the 80's I replaced a number of those seats and then the faucets were as good as new. Still, most hot water faucets needed new washers every 6 months, and the cold water faucet washers lasted about 2 years. When I moved to my present house in 1993, all the faucets were washerless, an I lost all my faucet kung-fu skills.
It's been a while since I replaced those valves. I think I remember them being ceramic but like you said, getting the part into the plumbing supply is how to do it. Tomorrow morning at best. I've been listening to the drip long enough. Let it be written ...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's been a while since I replaced those valves. I think I remember them being ceramic but like you said, getting the part into the plumbing supply is how to do it. Tomorrow morning at best. I've been listening to the drip long enough. Let it be written ...
That's good. The only ceramic faucet valves I know of are the so-called washer-less kind. They should last a lot longer. With Maryland's hard water, I can expect about 5 years before my faucets start leaking. That's a whole lot better than ½ to 2 years for washers.

I can't imagine any home or public faucet built now that would install washer-type faucets. That's a design that should have disappeared with telephone dials, or phonograph players :rolleyes:.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's good. The only ceramic faucet valves I know of are the so-called washer-less kind. They should last a lot longer. With Maryland's hard water, I can expect about 5 years before my faucets start leaking. That's a whole lot better than ½ to 2 years for washers.

I can't imagine any home or public faucet built now that would install washer-type faucets. That's a design that should have disappeared with telephone dials, or phonograph players :rolleyes:.
I just listened to Itzhak under Mehta's baton doing Vivaldi's The Four Seasons ... on vinyl. Did you know that modern day milk crates are no longer big enough to hold albums? Anybody need 4 milk crates?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I just listened to Itzhak under Mehta's baton doing Vivaldi's The Four Seasons ... on vinyl. Did you know that modern day milk crates are no longer big enough to hold albums? Anybody need 4 milk crates?
you have to cut one side of the milk crate off and use them as the upper crate on all your stacks, using your old milk crates as the bottoms...

OR get an ipod...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
you have to cut one side of the milk crate off and use them as the upper crate on all your stacks, using your old milk crates as the bottoms...

OR get an ipod...
OR, you can just trim the sides of your albums so they'll fit in the crates.:D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am recording all my albums onto mini tapes, I now this is going to be the future, the sound quality is ok, but I sometimes have to start over if the phone rings or one of the kids walks in while I am recording, plus seems them mini tapes dont hold much so sometimes I have to switch sides mid track... But besides that I am jamming out to ABBA dancing queen right now.... "feel the beat from the tambourine, oh yeah"...

is OK?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Enough of this. You guys are making fun of my records. I am reporting you to Craig.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Fuzz what are you eating there? What ever it is you are happy there is a lot of it... good for you...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis