What are your picks on best loudspeakers ever made?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Who came up with these recommendations but not include Focal Grand Utopia's? They are, without a doubt, the finest loudspeakers currently available. And, I put my money where my opinions are because I own a pair (in red). I also run a JL Audio F113 sub to help with bass management in my listening room.
These http://www.quintessenceacoustics.com/index.shtml might give you a run for your money. I can pick them up for a little over 20k, if you paid over 35k for yours, you paid too much.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The best ones I've heard were custom made. Lol at anyone thinking Budweiser is the best beer. Next you are gonna tell me that McDonald's really know how to make burgers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What this all boils down to is the best subjective fit in the mega dollar speakers, nothing more. One man's meat is another man's poison. It's still fun to play this game. :)

InsertSomethingCleverHere

Audiophyte
Nice speaker for sure but I've yet to hear a Beryllium tweeter that I liked..
Just curious, have you actually heard the Grande Utopia's? I replaced a pair of B&W 802 Matrix with the Focal's. Absolutely no comparison, the Focal's are infinitely better in every way. But, sound is very subjective.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Who came up with these recommendations but not include Focal Grand Utopia's? They are, without a doubt, the finest loudspeakers currently available. And, I put my money where my opinions are because I own a pair (in red). I also run a JL Audio F113 sub to help with bass management in my listening room.
Very nice. ;)

We unanimously unequivocally hate you. :)

So you basically have 3 subwoofers since each Grand Utopia has a built-in 16" subwoofer. :D

Yeah, we pretty much hate you. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice speaker for sure but I've yet to hear a Beryllium tweeter that I liked..
I've heard all kinds of tweeters in my own house - C (diamond), Be, Al, Mg, Ti, Silk, soft dome, metal dome, inverted dome, ribbon tweeter, compression driver, etc.

And my conclusion is that the tweeter itself does not make a speaker sound great or bad. It is the overall design and implementation of the speaker, not a single entity, that makes a speaker sound great or not.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What this all boils down to is the best subjective fit in the mega dollar speakers, nothing more. One man's meat is another man's poison. It's still fun to play this game. :)
I would have 4 shinny red Focal Grand Utopia for FR, FL, SR, SL. Then have one shinny red Focal Scala Utopia for the Center because it's not too tall for my projection screen. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
First, have to disagree with your comparison's of other products, Budweiser does not happen to be a commodity product or an inexpensive beer, in fact you may read on any label and this will never be legally challenged, "There is no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age". "Our exclusive beechwood aging produces a taste, a smoothness, and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price". No where near McDonalds, or Dominos. A visit to one of their breweries will enlighten you on a process that has made this the number one brand in the world for over the last thirty years in a row. Their quality control, cleanliness of their plants and manufacturing process, is beyond any hipster craft brews in light years. Budweiser has over 2000 recipes that are very similar to many craft brews in taste, body, color and finish. One often ask why they don't make some of these, the answer, it does not sell, and very few people stay loyal. So keep the King of Beers in high regard please. Living and working in St. Louis, The King of Beers has let me afford my audiophile hobby.
Well, you are 1/2 right.

Budweiser is absolutely a commodity, no doubts about that!

It is also inexpensive. They use RICE in the brewing process. Why? Because rice is cheap! Rice in brewing is also called an "adjunct", and anyone that knows about brewing will inform you that adjunct should be avoided when brewing a quality beer.

Most expensive beer to brew? LOL! Not by a long shot. There are many craft brews that go for $20 or more a bottle, and they make very little profit at those prices. When you are talking about aging in used bourbon, whiskey, wine barrels for YEARS, the price adds up quickly.

I have visited the brewery in St Louis, I was working just up the street from it for a couple weeks, at a plant inside the flood wall. Now, I will admit that the brewery is freaking spotless! Wow, they really put time and effort into maintaining a real historic American gem of a campus! I absolutely don't think of Bud as a "quality brew". However, I agree that their quality control, the precision in their brewing, the cleanliness, and their ability to consistently brew Bud is second to none! If I get a Budweiser anywhere in the world, I know exactly how it will taste, and that is truly an amazing brewery that can accomplish that!

Now, I have worked inside many factories, refineries and power plants. And, I can tell you that the control room in St. Louis looks exactly like a refinery or plant control room. Nothing near as personal as how a small craft brewer (hipster brewery :) operates!

I did try the Bare Knuckle Stout while I was at the brewery. I think that is by far the best product I have ever had from this brewery.

Now, what truly made Bud the king of beers is two-fold. 1) A consistent product. 2) They are distribution geniuses. If you go back and review the history, it is REALLY the distribution of Bud that got them where they are. Not the beers, but the distribution of the beers. Nobody else can compete.

Bud has over 2000 recipes. Why? Because they BOUGHT OUT the little guys! They couldn't compete with the craft circles TASTE, so they bought them or bought a majority share. Red Hook and Kona are 2 that were bought out, right off the top of my head!

So, my opinion is that Budweiser is not really a very good beer at all. But, at least it is consistent. Budweiser is kind of like the Bose of beers. I still drink it from time to time, and I'm sure I always will, because I know what I will get. But, it will almost never be my first choice.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As a Canadian, I avoid all American commodity beers like Bud as I find them lacking in taste. However, I would love to do an uninterupted 2 year stint of microbrewaries in the US. That would be a very tasty way to see the country :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As a Canadian, I avoid all American commodity beers like Bud as I find them lacking in taste. However, I would love to do an uninterupted 2 year stint of microbrewaries in the US. That would be a very tasty way to see the country :)
LOL! Heck Yeah!

There are 4 "Beer Meccas" in the USA.

Portland, Oregon
San Diego, California
Austin, TX (Central TX is also well known for wines, and is a new-comer to the craft beer scene within the last 5 years)
All of Colorado

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well, you are 1/2 right.

Budweiser is absolutely a commodity, no doubts about that!

It is also inexpensive. They use RICE in the brewing process. Why? Because rice is cheap! Rice in brewing is also called an "adjunct", and anyone that knows about brewing will inform you that adjunct should be avoided when brewing a quality beer.

Most expensive beer to brew? LOL! Not by a long shot. There are many craft brews that go for $20 or more a bottle, and they make very little profit at those prices. When you are talking about aging in used bourbon, whiskey, wine barrels for YEARS, the price adds up quickly.

I have visited the brewery in St Louis, I was working just up the street from it for a couple weeks, at a plant inside the flood wall. Now, I will admit that the brewery is freaking spotless! Wow, they really put time and effort into maintaining a real historic American gem of a campus! I absolutely don't think of Bud as a "quality brew". However, I agree that their quality control, the precision in their brewing, the cleanliness, and their ability to consistently brew Bud is second to none! If I get a Budweiser anywhere in the world, I know exactly how it will taste, and that is truly an amazing brewery that can accomplish that!

Now, I have worked inside many factories, refineries and power plants. And, I can tell you that the control room in St. Louis looks exactly like a refinery or plant control room. Nothing near as personal as how a small craft brewer (hipster brewery :) operates!

I did try the Bare Knuckle Stout while I was at the brewery. I think that is by far the best product I have ever had from this brewery.

Now, what truly made Bud the king of beers is two-fold. 1) A consistent product. 2) They are distribution geniuses. If you go back and review the history, it is REALLY the distribution of Bud that got them where they are. Not the beers, but the distribution of the beers. Nobody else can compete.

Bud has over 2000 recipes. Why? Because they BOUGHT OUT the little guys! They couldn't compete with the craft circles TASTE, so they bought them or bought a majority share. Red Hook and Kona are 2 that were bought out, right off the top of my head!

So, my opinion is that Budweiser is not really a very good beer at all. But, at least it is consistent. Budweiser is kind of like the Bose of beers. I still drink it from time to time, and I'm sure I always will, because I know what I will get. But, it will almost never be my first choice.

I always laugh when I hear Budweiser brag about using rice in their bears. People that don't know beer know Budweiser just like people that don't know audio know Bose :)

Audiophyte
Very nice. ;)

We unanimously unequivocally hate you. :)

So you basically have 3 subwoofers since each Grand Utopia has a built-in 16" subwoofer. :D

Yeah, we pretty much hate you. :)
I consider the Grande Utopia's full range speakers with one additional subwoofer (the JL Audio F113). Suprisingly, I had that sub with the 802 Matrix speakers I owned previously and when they were set up I mentioned that I had it packed away, we unboxed it to try it out and it made a dramatic difference with smoothing out the bass response in my listening room.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Everyone on this thread who is knocking Budweiser knows absolutely nothing about brewing beer. It is kind of sad and you all lose credibility in my mind. You guys are very knowledgable on stereo but have zero expertise on this matter and are jumping to a bunch of stereo type BS responses. You all have lowered yourselves to nothing more than a dealer selling over priced cables.

I spent 12 years in the beer business and the best brewing companies in the world are the big boys... Bud, Miller, Coors etc. these companies have perfected the process and dialed in a very tight process control. Contrary to what the micro guys want you to know the hardest beer to make is a light beer. This because the ability to control the fermentation is paramount in this process. Micro brewers can not make theses beers because their processes are out of control and inconsistent. They cover up inconsistencies in process control with heavy malt and hops.

No different than putting salt and pepper on crappy food to cover the poor taste.

I like you all but please don't rant about something you know nothing about.

Just my thought as a 12 year brewmaster who has worker in the actual industry just as many of you work in the audio industry.

Budweiser is the king and the best!

They brew with the highest level of ingredients and technology period!!!!! There can not be a debate on this!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Why don't we discuss topics that everyone can talk about with some knowledge and experience like speakers.....as the original intention of the thread.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Everyone on this thread who is knocking Budweiser knows absolutely nothing about brewing beer. It is kind of sad and you all lose credibility in my mind. You guys are very knowledgable on stereo but have zero expertise on this matter and are jumping to a bunch of stereo type BS responses. You all have lowered yourselves to nothing more than a dealer selling over priced cables.

I spent 12 years in the beer business and the best brewing companies in the world are the big boys... Bud, Miller, Coors etc. these companies have perfected the process and dialed in a very tight process control. Contrary to what the micro guys want you to know the hardest beer to make is a light beer. This because the ability to control the fermentation is paramount in this process. Micro brewers can not make theses beers because their processes are out of control and inconsistent. They cover up inconsistencies in process control with heavy malt and hops.

No different than putting salt and pepper on crappy food to cover the poor taste.

Just my thought as a 12 year brewmaster who has worker in the actual industry just as many of you work in the audio industry.

They brew with the highest level of ingredients and technology period!!!!! There can not be a debate on this!
Thanks but we will have to agree to disagree. I'm fairly knowledgeable about beer thanks to my older brother who has been brewing and judging for years. Just because you can make something consistent doesn't mean its good. McDonalds also makes very consistently bad burgers and Bose... well their speakers are also consistently made ;)

Audiophyte
Walter, I wish I could respond to you directly but I'm new to this forum and I don't have enough points to post a link, however

I did pay over $35k for the Focal's, and you're right, they 'might' give me a run for my money, but I doubt it. I'd be happy to take that challenge. Sound is very subjective and you might prefer the sound of the Quintessence speakers, but I am happy with my choice.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks but we will have to agree to disagree. I'm fairly knowledgeable about beer thanks to my older brother who has been brewing and judging for years. Just because you can make something consistent doesn't mean its good. McDonalds also makes very consistently bad burgers and Bose... well their speakers are also consistently made ;)
Most of the micro beers have quality issues and very inconsistent batches of beer. Would you buy any audio product that would give you varied performance on a daily or weekly basis and call it the best. I doubt it. Now when you go to a beer tasting competition you are getting that brewers hand picked best batch they made in the past 6 months. So of course it will be good. But you can not count on the taste profile day after day.

Just my 2 cents..... I actually worked in a brewery managing the brewing
operation and the process control for 12 years so...I guess that doesn't mean much.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I stand but what I say. Mass marketed American beer is not much tastier than drinking water. I've tried them all and each time I walked away disappointed. If you want good mass market beer, come up to Canada and get ready for some real tasting beer.

There is a mircobrewarie that came over from Quebec called the "Le Trois Brasseurs" Avoid this one at all cost....its horrid swill

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL! Heck Yeah!

There are 4 "Beer Meccas" in the USA.

Portland, Oregon
San Diego, California
Austin, TX (Central TX is also well known for wines, and is a new-comer to the craft beer scene within the last 5 years)
All of Colorado
Look out America, I'm planning a micro brewary tour. :eek:I've never been to California and Colorado has always peeked my interest. Maybe me and the "squatch" can toast in Oregan. I can check out the "blues" scene in Austin. :)

I created a "Everything Beer Thread" in the steam vent to prevent derailing this thread any further. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis