Need plans for listening room loudspeaker. High budget. Good talent. No time to learn.

G

GTHill

Audioholic
I'm in the market for a new set of loudspeakers. I can justify $10k+ for the speaker build. But here's the thing... and it will come off terrible I know... but I don't have time to learn everything I need to to design my own system. So my preference is to obtain detailed plans and parts lists.

I have probably every tool needed to build anything wood metal or concrete. I can also solder if needed. I'm not a master of any particular thing but I can build it. It will take me more time, but I can do it.

So, what's the ultimate floor standing speaker build?

And just to throw it out there... if there is someone that would build me a set for a known mark up, I'm open to that too.

Don't think budget right now. I'd rather not compromise until I have to.

Thank you for your time.

GT

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I know of quite a few people very happy after they built ER18 MTM speakers.

See this thread for details:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/68531-new-diy-mtm-towers-designed-dennis-murphy-paul-kittinger.html

You can buy the parts as a kit from Meniscus Audio. ER18MTM Dome
It can be built with either a ribbon or dome tweeter (despite the title, the link I included is for the ribbon tweeter version). Cost for parts (woofers, tweeters, and crossover parts) for a pair of towers is $716. For $75 more, Meniscus will assemble and solder the crossover boards.

If you build the cabinet from ¾" MDF observing the details in the diagrams, you can veneer or finish it any way you like. All the cabinet materials are not included in the kit price.

If you search the Audioholics DIY forum, you can find a number of build threads with excellent photos.

If you want a pdf file of all the details, send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For a high-end DIY tower, 2 plans jump to mind.

1) ER18 that has already been mentioned
2) Statements

For something different, consider a set of the Linkwitz Orions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For a high-end DIY tower, 2 plans jump to mind.

1) ER18 that has already been mentioned
2) Statements
Sound wise - it would be very hard to get better sound that these two projects - if you feel that you want to spend more - spend more on nicer finish materials :)

G

GTHill

Audioholic
I appreciate the feedback so far.

The first thing that I've noticed is the use of MDF... and I'm not trying to get into a debate about that. I just know there are better materials that resonate less and I'm open to using those. Again, I prefer suggestions without regards for budget. Of course everyone has budget but I'd rather not have that be a constricting factor right now.

I'll look at the statements soon. Thanks!

GT

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Look into selah audio. Rick has some great kits including giant line arrays that I think would satisfy your needs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I appreciate the feedback so far.

The first thing that I've noticed is the use of MDF... and I'm not trying to get into a debate about that. I just know there are better materials that resonate less and I'm open to using those. Again, I prefer suggestions without regards for budget. Of course everyone has budget but I'd rather not have that be a constricting factor right now.

I'll look at the statements soon. Thanks!

GT
I have asked a few cabinet builders and DIY'ers online about MDF. MDF is certainly a good material for speaker building for 2 reasons:

1) It does not resonate as well as hardwood does
2) It does not swell and contract with temperature/humidity like hardwood does.

So, MDF is a good choice for speaker cabs!

If you want to look at something better than MDF, then most likely HDF. Otherwise your choices are most likely limited to birch or bamboo.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm looking at the below parts for my ultimate speakers. I'll probably get the SB Acoustics ones first and do a new build with those drivers as the bottom. I love the look of the AMT tweeters. I love dome midranges too.
[h=1]Mundorf AMT19CM1.1-C Air Motion Tweeter (AMT)[/h][h=1]Morel EM1308 Elite 2" Dome Midrange[/h][h=1]SB Acoustics SB42FHC75-6 15" Woofer[/h]

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have asked a few cabinet builders and DIY'ers online about MDF. MDF is certainly a good material for speaker building for 2 reasons:

1) It does not resonate as well as hardwood does
2) It does not swell and contract with temperature/humidity like hardwood does.

So, MDF is a good choice for speaker cabs!

If you want to look at something better than MDF, then most likely HDF. Otherwise your choices are most likely limited to birch or bamboo.
I prefer void free plywood over MDF. It's lighter, stiffer and has no resonance issues.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If I was going to build a money now objectish diy system it would be a pair of Audio Artistry line arrays Audio Artistry CBT36K Line Array Speaker Pair Kit
then a pair of sick subs maybe 13W7AE-D1.5 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W7AE - JL Audio in matching sealed enclosures I would veneer all 4 epices plus a few amp stands in the same veneer klipsch uses for their palladium line {I seen it in person, super impressive} http://content.abt.com/image.php/2_P39FESPRESSO.jpg?image=/images/products/BDP_Images/2_P39FESPRESSO.jpg&canvas=1&quality=100&min_w=450&min_h=320&ck=317

Then a few pro amps, crown xlr2500's and a Xilica 4080 to control all the crossing... You could do it all for around $10K, but it will be close...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If I was going to build a money now objectish diy system it would be a pair of Audio Artistry line arrays Audio Artistry CBT36K Line Array Speaker Pair Kit
then a pair of sick subs maybe 13W7AE-D1.5 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W7AE - JL Audio in matching sealed enclosures I would veneer all 4 epices plus a few amp stands in the same veneer klipsch uses for their palladium line {I seen it in person, super impressive} http://content.abt.com/image.php/2_P39FESPRESSO.jpg?image=/images/products/BDP_Images/2_P39FESPRESSO.jpg&canvas=1&quality=100&min_w=450&min_h=320&ck=317

Then a few pro amps, crown xlr2500's and a Xilica 4080 to control all the crossing... You could do it all for around $10K, but it will be close...
I did not mention the CBT36, but yeah that might be a good choice too. I would go take them to an auto-shop for a sweet candy finish!

IMC: Have you actually heard the CBT-36 for yourself?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I did not mention the CBT36, but yeah that might be a good choice too. I would go take them to an auto-shop for a sweet candy finish!

IMC: Have you actually heard the CBT-36 for yourself?

You can do so much with them, I seen and heard them and thy have the WOW factor for sure, the sound is top notch too.. The sound is very odd at first because it seems like you walk around the room and it never changes until you turn away from the speaker and it is pointed at only one of your ears, hard to explain but I would put them up there with some of the best speakers I ever heard, they were interesting, a sound that everyone will like, accurate and engaging, not a bad choice IMO, plus they have resale value, I have seen a couple sets sell for more than the kits cost, thats a nice feature in itself..

I would even consider doing a line array subwoofer, maybe 3 or 4 -10" subs in each one and have them bend like the cbt's http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AOpv17MdL._SY300_.jpg then buy or build one of them racks that holds all the amps and the crossover at an angle...

candy paints look really good when done rite this color would look insane with some matte black accents... BRANDYWINE CANDY BASECOAT 12-OUNCE HOK AEROSOL SPRAY CAN have an eefect like this done http://www.mikericklefs.com/win1400.jpg

If I had someone that would buld these for me locally and just deliver them to me I would buy a set, but I would buy the kits and never even start them, never mind finish them....

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

For the kind of money he's talking about there's not a chance I'd get the CBT36.

Not when you can go to Rick Selah and get a better version. Rick worked with Marshall Kay and Don Keele to create a higher end version capable of higher SPL's, deeper bass extension, all with lower distortion. Obviously more expensive than the CBT's, but you're getting more as well.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
For the kind of money he's talking about there's not a chance I'd get the CBT36.

Not when you can go to Rick Selah and get a better version. Rick worked with Marshall Kay and Don Keele to create a higher end version capable of higher SPL's, deeper bass extension, all with lower distortion. Obviously more expensive than the CBT's, but you're getting more as well.
Them and a set of subs is about his entire budget, lol... I never heard of the Selah units, do you have a link to where they are for sale?

never mind I found them http://www.selahaudio.com/index/#/dana-buckley/ not kits though and $8K?

I heard the cbt's and they were nice, with a pair of subs and some better crossing {hence the Xilica} I think they would be hard to beat...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Them and a set of subs is about his entire budget, lol... I never heard of the Selah units, do you have a link to where they are for sale?
So, what's the ultimate floor standing speaker build?

And just to throw it out there... if there is someone that would build me a set for a known mark up, I'm open to that too.

Don't think budget right now. I'd rather not compromise until I have to.
He does say that right there, so I haven't recommended anything over budget................yet.

I'd direct you to Ricks website, but be forewarned, he changed it since the last time I've been there. There's about half the information that used to be there.

Try this and see if it works. This is the old website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140326182012/http://www.selahaudio.com/

The game changer isn't the kit version. There is one called "The Next Step" that is actually a little bigger than the Game Changer and is the kit version. I believe the kit retailed for about $8000 shipped. No cabs though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

DANG, son.

I see that Selah has an array with SB woofers and Fountek Ribbon Tweets. It's like the big and tall brother of the Philharmonitors.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
DANG, son.

I see that Selah has an array with SB woofers and Fountek Ribbon Tweets. It's like the big and tall brother of the Philharmonitors.
Rick has a lot of cool line array options aside from the curved, shaded stuff. He'll also design anything you want using any drivers you want.....for a price of course. However, if you look closely there are RAAL ribbon line arrays with crazy expensive woofers. Just insane stuff over there.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think that Selah audio would be the place to start than, because I can think of a ton of $10K speakers, but no diy kits for that kind of money, if one exists its going to be line array... The curved line arrays are sick, I wouldn't be able to build a straight one so no idea where to start with doing the wood work for a curved, and if I ever figured it out the chances the second tower would be a matching curve to the first is a long shot...

For that kind of money I wouldn't be messing with DIY, there are so many impressive systems I have heard in the last few years that can be bought for under that, the work and stress of building something wouldn't be worth it for me {personally, some people love wood working, Im not one of them}... The other day I heard a pair of maggie 3.7's with a set of 4 subs in a good sized room, it must have been the perfect maggie setup because I can not picture it sounding better, That would be around $10K with out amps and no work...

How about 3 sets of Phil 3's, lol... opening the boxes they come in would be enough work for me..

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, MDF is as resonance free as any sheet good material gets. As slipperybidness said, it has the least resonance problems of all wood products, it won't warp with changes in humidity, and it makes the best substrate for applying veneer. It is the cabinet material of choice of virtually all speaker builders, regardless of price.

What other material did you have in mind? Bamboo, is no better than MDF.

You can also use ¾" void-free plywood (it costs more, but makes less dust when you cut it), or any other ¾" thick material you like. I doubt if spending more for an unusual cabinet material will produce better results. By better results, I mean an audible difference.

Internal cross bracing is more important for reducing cabinet resonance than the material (MDF vs. ply wood) or thickness. With good cross bracing, you can easily get away with ½" thick sheet goods instead of ¾".

If you really want to spend more, I would recommend Salk Signature Sound. The SoundScape 8 speakers begin at $8000 per pair for his standard finishes. Salk is a custom builder, and will build what ever you wish. Jim Salk sells speakers designed by the same person who designed the ER18 MTM. They share a similar sound quality.

For what it's worth, the ER18 MTM design was intended to be a less expensive DIY alternative to the Salk Veracity HT2-TL speakers. And that intention succeeded.

I'll look at the statements soon.
The Statements by Jim Holtz are also an excellent DIY design. Be aware that their cabinets are enormous.

I still think a pair of ER18 MTMs, combined with a subwoofer or two (of your choice), will provide the best sound available.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis