Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I can hold my breath for 3 years again so you'll pardon me for having my doubts regarding your wallet opening much further than what is required to let the moths out. :D
All that glass falling down around you must be loud.

:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I bid $850, and it outbid me at the same amount. I think I've found that person's new max bid.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Grrrr. $860 plus shipping and PayPal fees is going to push it to $950 total. There's a lot that I could buy for $950. Hmmm. Seven more minutes.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Grrrr. $860 plus shipping and PayPal fees is going to push it to $950 total. There's a lot that I could buy for $950. Hmmm. Seven more minutes.
I'll tell you what you can't buy with 940…the speakers you've been lusting after for years.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
You should have seen the separation anxiety over upgrading from a 27" tube. It took years. Then Doug got one too.
Mine is still going strong and in our living room. At 36", no one wants to move it.:)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it's over. I went to put in my bid at $860...and someone else tried to snipe it at the end with a bid of $950, and the person in the lead upped it to $961. I can sleep easy not paying that much for these.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well, it's over. I went to put in my bid at $860...and someone else tried to snipe it at the end with a bid of $950, and the person in the lead upped it to $961. I can sleep easy not paying that much for these.
Yeah, for that much coin you could get a brand new 5.1 setup from Bose with some change to spare. Better sound through research vs some old speakers from some no-name brand, I think I know which one I'd go for :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, for that much coin you could get a brand new 5.1 setup from Bose with some change to spare. Better sound through research vs some old speakers from some no-name brand, I think I know which one I'd go for :p
Oh, shut up. :D Assuming that I could have outbid the person with just $10 more, it still would have been about $1060 total for speakers that are 14 years old. I've seen mint pairs going for something like $700 (which I would have bought except that they were local sales). Just not worth it to me.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got to get up at 3:30 so I can't stay here breaking his balls all night. Would somebody else please step up?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, shut up. :D Assuming that I could have outbid the person with just $10 more, it still would have been about $1060 total for speakers that are 14 years old. I've seen mint pairs going for something like $700 (which I would have bought except that they were local sales). Just not worth it to me.
Now that Alex is gone, I'll grant you that you're starting to get into a pretty competitive price range for really good sounding and brand new speakers. OTOH, now that you've lost those 14 year old speakers, they're not getting any newer so who knows how old the next pair will be that pops up :p Nothing like holding out for 25 year old speaker technology :D

Somewhat OT to everyone, but coninuing a previous conversation we were having. I found this stuff and thought it might be perfect for the project I was thinking of. As much as I love the idea of cast iron case, I'd love to have a snazzy looking wooden case. I figure a few layers of this stuff on all sides, while minimizing the box as much as possible. Then adding a high density foam cube inside with a little piece in the middle scooped out to cup the ball (hardy har har), might just work. I'm just not sure how well this is going to shield that ball or how many layers it would take to come close to what the cast iron case does.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Somewhat OT to everyone, but coninuing a previous conversation we were having. I found this stuff and thought it might be perfect for the project I was thinking of. As much as I love the idea of cast iron case, I'd love to have a snazzy looking wooden case. I figure a few layers of this stuff on all sides, while minimizing the box as much as possible. Then adding a high density foam cube inside with a little piece in the middle scooped out to cup the ball (hardy har har), might just work. I'm just not sure how well this is going to shield that ball or how many layers it would take to come close to what the cast iron case does.
You know, you don't actually need a container for the magnet. Just don't store it with your old 8-tracks and hard drives. :) If you want one, just pay the $30 for the nice one. Heck, dude, you're already paying $159 for all the other goodies.

I must admit, part of me was thinking that if I didn't get the speakers, I could use some of that new found $1000 (yeah, that's how my mind works) to buy the magnet container. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I spent about an hour and a half swapping out my monitor arms for a new one that I got from Vine. What a pain in the a**. The previous one was a lot easier to get into place. I kind of like how the new one looks better, but it only holds one monitor versus two.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You know, you don't actually need a container for the magnet. Just don't store it with your old 8-tracks and hard drives. :) If you want one, just pay the $30 for the nice one. Heck, dude, you're already paying $159 for all the other goodies.

I must admit, part of me was thinking that if I didn't get the speakers, I could use some of that new found $1000 (yeah, that's how my mind works) to buy the magnet container. :D
Pffft. What's the point of buying new things if I can't manufacture a reason to do a new DIY project? :p That's how my mind works :D I've been eyeing so some really nice wood (you're welcome) from the place I got the zebra wood from. They sell some "hobby" packs that are fairly cheap and include a bunch of differently sized pieces which would be perfect for the small box and would give me the chance to work with real wood instead of ply or MDF. The former I don't work with as often because it's a touch more expensive and the latter I absolutely hate, but it's cheap as dirt.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis