EMP Tek 1010i question

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone out there own 1 or even better 2 of these and your impressions? I was ready to pull the trigger this morning when I noticed at check-out that the 2 finishes offered were red burl and black ash. I was under the impression, from the Google images, that there was a piano black finish. Is this finish discontinued or is my eyesight that bad? :D

I know I can contact EMP Monday morning to verify but I've got the itch and I wanna scratch it real bad. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I never seen them in piano or offered in piano? May have been before but I haven't seen it in the last few years... In some pictures the red burl gloss looks black but its not... You will not regret the purchase, I bought one last year on sale for $300 and thought it was a great deal, I would pick up another one this year if I had any use for it... For a ported sub it is very musical, maybe because of the smaller drivers. 2 of these in any system would be nice for sure... I thought there would be port noise due to the dual bottom fired ports, but there isn't, the subs are nice, its a really nice design... $250 is a score for sure...

PM ousooner2 he posted this picture... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/85414-focal-726-vs-nht-absolute-tower-vs-monitor-rx6-vs-psb-image-t6-4.html

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Further research revealed that it's not a piano black finish but a "high-gloss" black ash finish, hence the similarity.

ImcLoud - thanks for your verification about the sub being "very musical", since it will be used in a 80/20 mix of music/HT. You haven't steered me wrong yet. ;) BTW the Epos Epic 2 have really started to come into their own, especially after I ran the YPAO on the Yamaha AVR. I was running them straight and to be honest I would have preferred a little more in the high end like the Epos M12.2's, without the fatigue factor. Well I finally finished up the room yesterday, ran the YPAO, raised the treble by 1dB and now they're singing beautifully. I still stand by my past comment about how favorably they compare to the Dynaudio X12 but without the $1200.00 price tag. Danka sir. :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The finish is not wood veneer, rather a vinyl wrap. That said, I have seen them in person and both options look great.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Guys I have a question, with the November sale price of $249 shipped this is appealing to me in buying 2 sets. My home theatre room is 15x19 and I know one of these subs is not enough, I am wondering how 2 of them would do compared to my other choice of buying 1 Rhythmik LV12R. I realize the Rhythmik is a better sub and can go lower. Majority of use will be for movies and music probably 60/40

I am just wondering if saving 100 is worth it or whether \I will regret not just having bought the Rhythmik. I don't need super low bass as I am coming from a garbage 11yr old Yamaha sub. Balance of my system is

Klipsch WF34
Klipsch WC24
Klipsch WS24
Onkyo TX-SR605

Go single Rhythmik or 2 of these? They definitely look nicer and I assume 2 would produce some nice sound

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have heard a single 1010i perform nicely, corner loaded in a really small (hotel) room and Gene swears a pair of these could fill mid to large sized living room if you are not bass crazy

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I have heard a single 1010i perform nicely, corner loaded in a really small (hotel) room and Gene swears a pair of these could fill mid to large sized living room if you are not bass crazy
Bingo!!! ... we have a winner. :)

I love the burl "veneer" but I ordered the high-gloss black ash to go with the LS50's. Best case scenario, if it's musical as some say, I'll order a 2nd one. Worst case, I kick up upstairs in the 3rd room to replace my aging Athena P1. Now what do I do with the Velodyne DLS-3500? :confused:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Are there any pics of the back of the EMP? I can't find any. Edit:

Last edited:
C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
I am not quite following the feedback above, do we have agreement a pair could work well. If I buy the 1010i i know one is not enough so I have to splurge for 2, if they dont suffice its a hassle selling the pair but can be done with recoup of whats paid. I would not be keeping the units if they dont work as the balance of my home will be Sonos, I am buying these units solely for my HT room.

What I wonder is whether a rhythmik LV12r would just be better overall but i do agree 2 subs definitely smooth things out and I am aware these cant go real low like the LV12R but then again I am coming from a pos yamaha that is real old

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am not quite following the feedback above, do we have agreement a pair could work well. If I buy the 1010i i know one is not enough so I have to splurge for 2, if they dont suffice its a hassle selling the pair but can be done with recoup of whats paid. I would not be keeping the units if they dont work as the balance of my home will be Sonos, I am buying these units solely for my HT room.

What I wonder is whether a rhythmik LV12r would just be better overall but i do agree 2 subs definitely smooth things out and I am aware these cant go real low like the LV12R but then again I am coming from a pos yamaha that is real old
Considering what your coming from and the price EMP is selling the 1010i's at, it will be a nice upgrade for you at a great value.

Here is my review so you can see how it performs:
EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

MY sister in-law has 2 of these subs with a pair of the E55ti towers in her large living room and she is quite happy. It won't rattle your bones but it does give you good slam for the buck and is great for music too.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Considering what your coming from and the price EMP is selling the 1010i's at, it will be a nice upgrade for you at a great value.

Here is my review so you can see how it performs:
EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

MY sister in-law has 2 of these subs with a pair of the E55ti towers in her large living room and she is quite happy. It won't rattle your bones but it does give you good slam for the buck and is great for music too.
Thanks Gene, I also noticed the update to the review, I will have to pull trigger later today on one of my options. Worst case I can always sell the es1010i's if they don't suffice should I got that route

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I would think the JBL 150P while ugly would have more accurate Bass than the EMP?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I would think the JBL 150P while Fugly would have more accurate Bass than the EMP?
Fixed. lol.

I wonder how close it'd be though. The e1010i is +/- 7.5db from 20hz-125hz. The JBL sub say's +/- 3db from about 30hz-160hz, whereas the e1010i looks to be +/- 4.5dB from 30hz-125hz

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
The JBL is not one for my consideration, it is just horrible looking and I expect they would be very similar but would love to hear from those who have used both? I am in a pickle spend my 600 budget and get either a Rhythmik/HSU VTF-2 MK4 via a coin toss or save a hundy and take a pari of 1010i's

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Easy. Do you watch or listen to a lot of stuff with sub 30hz content? If so, lv12r. If not, dual e1010i.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Easy. Do you watch or listen to a lot of stuff with sub 30hz content? If so, lv12r. If not, dual e1010i.
When I think of true usage it will probably be about 25% my son on Xbox playing sports games, 40% movies and reg TV sports and balance music. I believe I will find the 1010i's a huge upgrade over what I have now. The voice inside me is just saying order the 101i's and be done with it for now, use the saved hundred towards another Sonos speaker for room listening.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis