Zone Two Shut off Help needed (onkyo 606)

A

Amorica

Audiophyte
Hi everyone:
I really need some help. I am running a onkyo Sr-606 tuner. I have 5 speakers rung fine on zone 1, and I recently added two speaker to Zone 2. Quite often, Zone two is shutting down no matter what source I use. FM, Denon Dock, etc.

It turns the receiver off and goes into some sort of protection mode. Zone 1 solo is fine. I am running the speaker wire into a volume control knob. Its a rocket fish unit.

It stopped doing it for some time, but then stared back up again. Do the levels on each zone need to be set a certain way?

I called Rocketfish, and they said the model I have is not impedance matching. Could this be it as well?

Thank you!
Rob

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Two possibilities are, Zone 2 only handles an 8-Ohm load , and / or you have a small strand of speaker wire shorting to something.

What is the Ohm rating of your Zone-2 speakers? And how long of a wire run is it? How many speakers on Zone-2. You've mentioned "Added 2 speakers to Zone-2" Is that a total of two? It won't handle more than two speakers without an impedance matching device.

A

Amorica

Audiophyte
Two possibilities are, Zone 2 only handles an 8-Ohm load , and / or you have a small strand of speaker wire shorting to something.

What is the Ohm rating of your Zone-2 speakers? And how long of a wire run is it? How many speakers on Zone-2. You've mentioned "Added 2 speakers to Zone-2" Is that a total of two? It won't handle more than two speakers without an impedance matching device.
My speakers are Nominal Impedance
8 ohms

I ran two in total to the outside. The run is somewhat long. From upstairs to the basement then to the outside, but its not yards of wire.

Could it be the control knob?
Thanks!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It's best to rule things out one at a time.
If you're confident that there are no wire whiskers shorting out. (maybe in the volume control wiring?)

Next, you could bypass the volume control.
If that checks out:
The next thing is to see if the nominal impedance rating dips below what's advertised. (they usually do)

What speakers are you using in zone-2?

A

Amorica

Audiophyte
It's best to rule things out one at a time.
If you're confident that there are no wire whiskers shorting out. (maybe in the volume control wiring?)

Next, you could bypass the volume control.
If that checks out:
The next thing is to see if the nominal impedance rating dips below what's advertised. (they usually do)

What speakers are you using in zone-2?
How do I check the nominal impedance rating? I am using the BA Voyager 7 speakers. I actually did not have this problem before adding the volume control.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
How do I check the nominal impedance rating? I am using the BA Voyager 7 speakers. I actually did not have this problem before adding the volume control.
OK, now were getting somewhere:)
If this was an existing setup, lets look closer at that control.
Recheck the wiring in the volume control box for strands shorting.
Is it mounted outdoors in a weather proof box? Did anything get wet?

A

Amorica

Audiophyte
OK, now were getting somewhere:)
If this was an existing setup, lets look closer at that control.
Recheck the wiring in the volume control box for strands shorting.
Is it mounted outdoors in a weather proof box? Did anything get wet?

So the set up itself is new. Ran the wires a bit ago. I initially had it running without the volume control knob. Then I added the knob. Its indoors actually.

The knob is NOT Impedance matching.

Thanks!
Rob

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You won't need impedance matching with only one set of 8-Ohm speakers.
I'd try taking out the Vol control and see if the problem goes away.
Are you sure the control is correctly wired?
What AWG is the speaker wire?

A

Amorica

Audiophyte
You won't need impedance matching with only one set of 8-Ohm speakers.
I'd try taking out the Vol control and see if the problem goes away.
Are you sure the control is correctly wired?
What AWG is the speaker wire?
Yeah. I am going to check all that again. It seems a lot of folks have issues with the Onkyo Zone 2.

I guess getting an amp for Zone 2 is also an option, Not sure what gauge the speaker wire is, but we went for the standard, and its what the rest of the system is running on.
Thanks,
Rob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis