ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
What's the most common tech for controlling an A/V receiver from other than the main zone? Meaning out on the porch, in the bedroom, want to change sources, adjust volume. Phone app? And what brand does zone control the best?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only radio frequency remote or wifi control app come to mind. I'd probably check out Harmony offerings. Personally I just walk in the garage when I want to make an adjustment for volume for my outdoor speakers (but control content thru my phone), bedroom has its own system....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
On Yamaha they have a great phone App called MusicCast for iPhone or Android. It also works on tablets like iPad.

You name the zone2 as the room then it’s like having a separate control.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
Only radio frequency remote or wifi control app come to mind. I'd probably check out Harmony offerings. Personally I just walk in the garage when I want to make an adjustment for volume for my outdoor speakers (but control content thru my phone), bedroom has its own system....
ok, don't want to walk, want to sit.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
On Yamaha they have a great phone App called MusicCast for iPhone or Android. It also works on tablets like iPad.

You name the zone2 as the room then it’s like having a separate control.
Thanks, will check out Yamaha A/Vs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What avr do you have?

ps many now have wifi control apps.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
Onkyo NR-929 vintage 2013 and Onkyo Remote app is ok, but receiver loses net connectivity frequently requiring complete re-set up. Has driven me insane.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo NR-929 vintage 2013 and Onkyo Remote app is ok, but receiver loses net connectivity frequently requiring complete re-set up. Has driven me insane.
My older Onkyo with a dongle for wifi was okay at best with wifi, let alone the Onkyo app, the built-in apps largely I don't use any more on that unit, too.

You ever use the active xover feature of that avr?

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
no what's xover? Receiver is connected to router with cable btw.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
no what's xover? Receiver is connected to router with cable btw.
Your avr is one of the few that had an active crossover (xover) feature, the other was the 818. At least I'm pretty sure your 929 has that as well, I know the 818 does. I considered both at one time. It's a way of actively bi-amping a pair of speakers that most avrs do not offer.....

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
ok, think I read about it in the user manual but didn't apply to my situation. The 929 is running 9 NHT speakers in 3 zones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ok, think I read about it in the user manual but didn't apply to my situation. The 929 is running 9 NHT speakers in 3 zones.
Probably not generally useful, more about when you want to play with diy speakers or rip a crossover out of an existing two-way speaker and see what you can do without. It's on page 29 and 68 of your manual discussing digital crossover.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis