Zone 2 won't work via COAX?

C

Cheetah

Enthusiast
After finally solving my scaling issue on my AVR-247, now I have a new problem...

I ran a pair of speakers to my computer work room so I have something to listen to in there, set the source to the FM tuner to test it and everything worked fine. But when I try to use any digital inputs such as from my DVD or HTPC, I get no sound.

I read the manual(for a change) and it doesn't say you can't use a digital source on zone 2. Any ideas? or will I have to run separate analog lines from each source:mad:

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You will have to run analogs for each source. For what I have found there are only a very limited number of receivers and prepros that will do digital in the secondary zones. These are the upper end Denon's, Pioneer and high end Yamaha.

C

Cheetah

Enthusiast
That sucks:(

It never made any mention of that in the manual, but I figured to process digital in a second zone you'd need a whole new set of DAC's and so on, which would jack up the cost a lot.

Oh well, thanks for the fast response, saved me from going insane trying to figure this thing out:p

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That sucks:(

It never made any mention of that in the manual, but I figured to process digital in a second zone you'd need a whole new set of DAC's and so on, which would jack up the cost a lot.

Oh well, thanks for the fast response, saved me from going insane trying to figure this thing out:p
No problem. You are right on with the DAC assumption.

I just looked at your manual and on page 30 there is a little blue box that says:
NOTE: Only analog audio sources are available to the multiroom
system.

C

Cheetah

Enthusiast
No problem. You are right on with the DAC assumption.

I just looked at your manual and on page 30 there is a little blue box that says:
Well now I feel stupid. I only looked on pages 56-57 as they're the multi-room section. They really should have put that message there as well.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
AVR user manuals seem to always be difficult if not impossible to read. Try to figure out a Denon manual sometime, if you didnt already have a good idea what you are doing, it would never make any sence.
Well now I feel stupid. I only looked on pages 56-57 as they're the multi-room section. They really should have put that message there as well.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have made this mistake before so I had an idea where to look. My Pioneer manual had it as footnote #7 in tiny font.

C

Cheetah

Enthusiast
not really;) id bet you couldnt tell the difference between analog and digital. Id make it a habit to run analog for each input as mentioned.

I'd say you're probably right, but I just ordered all the av cables just a few weeks ago, and don't have enough left over to run analog from each source.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis