Zone 2 help for a beginner

Z

zflea

Audiophyte
zone 2 beginner

I have an onkyo txsr601 receiver. Problem is zone 2 worked sporadically few months ago. hooked it up to outside speakers. Now I choose zone 2 on, choose receiver as source and try to adjust volume. It says function not available and no sound. I have no idea why. any thoughts?
thanks,mz

[Edit: Deleted duplicate thread. Please do not double-post. - Admin]

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can you describe "sporatically"? I would think it either worked or didn't. Keep in mind that digital inputs are not available to be distributed to zone 2. So if you are only using digital inputs for DVD and cable they are not available. It's easily fixed by also connecting your analog inputs. So if the receiver input worked before and is not now, and you haven't changed anything, then something could be wrong with your receiver. Or, maybe you accidently set your output on zone 2 to fixed where it should be variable.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Is it possible that you have the Zone 2 amp assigned to your Rear Surround speakers in a 7.1 channel setup? Many receivers offer this feature.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It has a separate volume control on this unit for zone2. Fixed or variable doesn't matter if you are using the receiver to power zone 2. As Duffinator said, it must be analog for it to work, so I don't understand "sporadically" either. If you changed zone 2 to a source that uses a digital connection, you will get no sound.

601 is 6.1 only, and when you use the receiver to power zone 2, the main HT is limited to stereo as well.

In either case, one question that needs to be answered is whether you are using a separate amp/amplified speakers or are you using the receiver to power zone 2?

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
What do you mean when you say you choose 'receiver' as the source? You can choose either the main source that zone 1 is using or another source, but whatever you choose has to be connected with analog cables. If you choose DVD and the dvd player is hooked up with only a digital connection, you won't get any sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MDS said:
What do you mean when you say you choose 'receiver' as the source? You can choose either the main source that zone 1 is using or another source, but whatever you choose has to be connected with analog cables. If you choose DVD and the dvd player is hooked up with only a digital connection, you won't get any sound.
Oops, I missed that. "Receiver" cannot be used as a source. I'm not sure if TUNER is what you meant, and I don't know if you can use the tuner for zone 2. I'm pretty sure it has to be an input that has a stereo analog connection and that input has to be set to analog if you have both analog and digital connected to it.

Duffinator

Duffinator

j_garcia said:
Oops, I missed that. "Receiver" cannot be used as a source. I'm not sure if TUNER is what you meant, and I don't know if you can use the tuner for zone 2. I'm pretty sure it has to be an input that has a stereo analog connection and that input has to be set to analog if you have both analog and digital connected to it.
Earlier I read receiver to equal tuner. On my Denon 3805 you can distrubute the tuner (radio) signal to the other zones. Maybe the Onkyo is different but I dont' think so. I do the same on my in-laws Denon 1905.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I installed a 601 with a zone 2 setup for a customer a few months back and I tried everything BUT the tuner, so I wasn't sure if it would work or not, and didn't want to give the wrong information. I have a feeling it is the way you describe though.

Duffinator

Duffinator

I double checked my tuner in zone 2 when I got home tonight...just in case as I rarely use it. It works fine. ;)

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
I read the Onkyo 601 owners manual and in the Zone 2 section it specifically mentions you can listen to the tuner. I think it is just a settings issue because the troubleshooting in the manual mentions this scenario but just says zone 2 is not available in that mode or something to that effect. It does not give specifics on what would cause. What great "Troubleshooting" help.

Z

zflea

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your responses. I am frustrated by this. I used the word sporadically b/c it worked for a time then stopped then worked & now it doesn't. I use it rarely but having a pool party w/o the music is not fun. I did have an issue where the receiver was left on overnight by accident and it shut down. I forgot the word, but the next day it reset and worked, except zone 2 I did not try it. Now it doesn't work but it gives a message of feature not available. You did answer another question inadvertently regarding why zone 2 did not play cds. I use dvd with coaxial digital so I guess that explains it. However still frustrated by procedure and settings for zone 2. Zone 1 still works great. I have infinity speakers came as a set w/ powered sub. sorry do not know model #. Thanks again.
mz

Z

zflea

Audiophyte
Also I do have it set to receiver and I thought stereo b/c it will toggle b/w am and fm. I will check when I get home. The zone 2 allows on/off source and volume. I am at a loss.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Here's what I'd try. Take an analog stereo cable and connect your DVD player analog output to the CD input on your receiver. Then make sure you can hear a CD playing in zone 1 from the CD input. Then turn on zone 2, select CD and adjust the volume. If it works then you have something wrong in your other setup. If it doesn't work then there is most likely something wrong with your receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis