Zone-2 - Denon 4306 - how?

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I am currently using a Denon 4306 receiver, and I can't get Zone-2 working.

I followed the instructions in the manual;
1- Connect speakers to speaker-out terminals labeled SURR BACK
2- Set Zone-2 power on
3- Select Zone-2 input source (I tried CD, Tuner and DBS)
4- Adjust Zone-2 volume

I verified all connections. The speakers work fine when I connect them to another source (using same wiring) so I know the wiring and the speakers are working properly.

I also verified that I can get the speakers to work if I connect them as Surround B speakers on the main zone. But connected as Zone-2 or Zone-3 I can't get any sound.

What am I missing?

majorloser

majorloser

Zone 1 with 5.1 or 7.1 System?

Are you trying to run a 7.1 system for "zone 1"? If so, you basically lose the function of "zone 2" since those amp channels are dedicated to "zone 1". You can run a 5.1 system for "zone 1" and a stereo 2-channel system for "zone 2" using the on-board amp channels.

If you are looking to run both a 7.1 system for "zone 1" along with another 2-channel zone, just use "zone 3" with a separate 2-channel amp. You can use something like a Behringer A500 for less than $200.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Are your components connected with only digital connections? If so, you won't get any sound from Zone 2. You need to run analog cables for each component for Zone 2.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
IIRC you're running a 5.1 setup so as mentioned you'll need to reassign the rear channel amps for zone 2/3 usage, see pg. 76 of the manual. As Hi Ho also mentioned, you need to run the analog stereo conections from any outboard sources (CD, DBS) to receive their signals on zone 2/3.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
IIRC you're running a 5.1 setup so as mentioned you'll need to reassign the rear channel amps for zone 2/3 usage, see pg. 76 of the manual. As Hi Ho also mentioned, you need to run the analog stereo conections from any outboard sources (CD, DBS) to receive their signals on zone 2/3.
DING! DING! DING!

That was it. Reassigned the amp for Surround Back to Zone-2 and that got it going.

Stupid question; but why is it that it lets you select zone-2 to power on, adjust volume, select input... but there is no amp assigned to it? You would think it would prompt you to put an amp to zone-2 when you select it for these other functions.

Oh well. At least it works now.

Thank you!

majorloser

majorloser

Because I believe you could still have an outboard amp assigned to Zone 2 instead of the built-in amp channels.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
That, and they just don't build things to be that idiot proof. LOL :eek::rolleyes::D BTW, glad it was that simple and it's working for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis