Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
Didn't see anything posted here about this particular project, it just looked...well, weird. I'm very interested to know how they would sound.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I like the thin cabinet as it probably gives awesome imaging, but Full ranges are meh. You'd probably need to digitally EQ it to get good sound, and add bass boost IMO.

I do think a tall and thin approach can work, but you need lots of drivers IE a line array or something

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Didn't see anything posted here about this particular project, it just looked...well, weird. I'm very interested to know how they would sound.
That is a Voight quarter wave pipe, that is essentially undamped. The bass output will be reinforced, but there will be some odd order harmonics.

The Fostex are among the better full rangers, but to get the best from them they really need a back loaded horn. The Fostex drivers are really Lowthers on the cheap.

Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
What would be a good drop in replacement speaker for this project?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What would be a good drop in replacement speaker for this project?
For a project like that you are pretty much limited to the Fostex 103En or a Lowther PM 7A.

The Lowther is much more sensitive and will play much louder and is the better unit, but much more costly.

We have a thread going about time and phase coherent speakers, that basically requires a single diaphragm.

There are full range drivers that sound very good. Basically they come form three camps, EJ Jordan designs, Fostex and Lowther. Historically the Jordan Watts module is excellent and the Mk III probably the best of them.

I'm unaware of any other full rangers I would recommend.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For a project like that you are pretty much limited to the Fostex 103En or a Lowther PM 7A.

The Lowther is much more sensitive and will play much louder and is the better unit, but much more costly.

We have a thread going about time and phase coherent speakers, that basically requires a single diaphragm.

There are full range drivers that sound very good. Basically they come form three camps, EJ Jordan designs, Fostex and Lowther. Historically the Jordan Watts module is excellent and the Mk III probably the best of them.

I'm unaware of any other full rangers I would recommend.
I love the Jordan stuff. They make very good drivers. Those Watts modules are amazingly good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis