F

frankhuber

Enthusiast
I am just about to buy a Denon 1905 or 2105. However, I also looked at the Yamaha RXV series. I have noticed the Yamaha's have the YPAO feature, is this feature an important feature to have. Also, what kind of speakers do you recommend for the Denon 1905 or 2105?

Thanks,

frankhuber@adelphia.net

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
YPAO is a decent, but not entirely great feature. You can do the same work all by yourself with a radio shack spl meter. YPAO is automatic, but it seems to not do a really good job with the subwoofer (on an RX-V2500, at least).

The main advanatge to the similarly-priced Yamahas is the large number of available movie settings.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
frankhuber said:
I am just about to buy a Denon 1905 or 2105. However, I also looked at the Yamaha RXV series. I have noticed the Yamaha's have the YPAO feature, is this feature an important feature to have. Also, what kind of speakers do you recommend for the Denon 1905 or 2105?

Thanks,

frankhuber@adelphia.net
The YPAO feature helps calibrate your speakers with a microphone that comes with the receiver. You can do the same thing with a tape measure or a radio shack mic. It's not a make or break feature by any means.

With a lower end receiver, I recommend speakers with a high spl rating of, say 93db or higher. When shopping, keep an eye out for that number. What brands to you have access to? Will you buy online or locally?

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I have the Denon 2105 and it has that same feature with the microphone. Great receiver, have had it for 6 months and really enjoy it! The room calibration works pretty decent, but I got the best overall "correct" sound when I used my spl meter and some test tones. Denon or Yamaha are both good brands from what I have seen. I think the Yamaha is more geared for movies where as the Denon is more suited for music.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Leprkon said:
YPAO is a decent, but not entirely great feature. You can do the same work all by yourself with a radio shack spl meter. YPAO is automatic, but it seems to not do a really good job with the subwoofer (on an RX-V2500, at least).

The main advanatge to the similarly-priced Yamahas is the large number of available movie settings.
I disagree, the YPAO is easily one of my favorite features.

And you cannot easily replicate its results with just a RS meter. Remember that the advanced versions of YPAO adjusts both the center frequency and bandwidth of the adjustment on the Parametric EQ....Without some kind of RTA software, it is difficult and time consuming to replicate its results manually. It could save you hours of calibration time just to get the same result.

YPAO does not work with subwoofers because it wasn't designed to. Because subwoofer response is heavily dependent on multiple listening positions and placement, one should do that manually anyway.

If Yamaha didn't offer YPAO, I would have bought a different brand like NAD.

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
The YPAO feature helps calibrate your speakers with a microphone that comes with the receiver. You can do the same thing with a tape measure or a radio shack mic.
Again, read my post above.

The advanced YPAO versions does full parametric EQ'ing. Something that is very time consuming to do manually with just a meter.
Keep in mid that the YPAO on the cheaper Yamaha receivers is not as advanced as the YPAO on models like the RXV2500.

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
The YPAO feature helps calibrate your speakers with a microphone that comes with the receiver. You can do the same thing with a tape measure or a radio shack mic. It's not a make or break feature by any means.

With a lower end receiver, I recommend speakers with a high spl rating of, say 93db or higher. When shopping, keep an eye out for that number. What brands to you have access to? Will you buy online or locally?
Isnt that a high spl for even good speakers at a reasonable price?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis