Your thoughts on the Mitsubishi WD-73833, please!?

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've heard alot about this set. It's the Diamond Series 73" model. I haven't seen too much to compete with it at this price point. As far as screen size goes, DLP offers a great value. I haven't seen any other sets that offer a screen of this size for anywhere near this price. However, after seeing CNET's mediocre review I'm a little concerned about pursuing this model.
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/mitsubishi-wd-65833/4505-6484_7-32450677.html They actually reviewed the 65-inch model, but said performance should be identical.

On the other hand, it seems that everyone here, as well as other places on the web, rave about how great this set is. I'd like to hear from those of you who own this set or have had any experience with this set to get your opinion. What are the drawbacks? What are the advantages of this set?, etc...etc. and wether I should consider it or look at other options.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Are you looking at this model because it's a Mitsubishi or because it's 73"?

Soundman

Soundman

Are you looking at this model because it's a Mitsubishi or because it's 73"?
I started out by seeing what was the largest screen I could afford. Once I came across this model, I started researching it. However, bigger doesn't always mean better. If I found a slightly smaller screan, that was a better performer, I would go that route.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have installed several of those sets. The picture quality is very good. I have not seen any problems with the current generation but rear projection sets in general are not as reliable as other technologies.

The only real disadvantage is the fact that you will have to replace the bulb periodically. Depending on your usage habits it could go out in as little as one year to over three years.

B

big-frank23

Audiophyte
I sell this set and it's the best 70"+ available. You can't go wrong if your looking for a 70"+ TV. I own the 65833 and love it. I'm back about 12 ft and it's perfect. As for Hi Ho saying that replacing a bulb is a disadvantage. I see it as a +. Sure you have to spend $150-$200 every 1-4 years depending how often you watch tv. But look at it like this, when you replace the bulb, it's like getting a new set.

Soundman

Soundman

I have installed several of those sets. The picture quality is very good. I have not seen any problems with the current generation but rear projection sets in general are not as reliable as other technologies.

The only real disadvantage is the fact that you will have to replace the bulb periodically. Depending on your usage habits it could go out in as little as one year to over three years.[QUO
TE]

What is it that's not reliable? The bulb?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The business I work at also services all types of TVs. We service more rear projection sets than anything else. The common problems vary by brand. Samsung and Sony have had problems with light engines. Mitsubishi has had more problems with bad circuit boards and heat sensors.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I own the WD-73733 and it's been fantastic so far. No noise issues that a lot of others have reported hearing either, best deal in a big screen tv for the money.

Soundman

Soundman

I own the WD-73733 and it's been fantastic so far. No noise issues that a lot of others have reported hearing either, best deal in a big screen tv for the money.
It does seem like a good deal. I'm still deciding. I'm debating going for this one, or settling for a smaller screen size and getting a panasonic plasma instead. :confused:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It does seem like a good deal. I'm still deciding. I'm debating going for this one, or settling for a smaller screen size and getting a panasonic plasma instead. :confused:
I originally considered the Diamond series, but it was worth the extra $1000 for what it offered over the 733... I don't need the extra front HDMI input, I didn't care about the 120 hz. refresh rate, I liked the gloss finish, as it would match my stand and my def techs, but not worth the money, and I wouldn't use Net Command, and perfect color is enough for me, perfect tint would just make for more tedious color tuning.... so I saved the money and bought from amazon, who also refunded me some money after they dropped the price within a month after I bought it. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with how everything turned out.

I would loved to have gone with a front projector, but it would have been more trouble and expense that it was worth.

Soundman

Soundman

I originally considered the Diamond series, but it was worth the extra $1000 for what it offered over the 733... I don't need the extra front HDMI input, I didn't care about the 120 hz. refresh rate, I liked the gloss finish, as it would match my stand and my def techs, but not worth the money, and I wouldn't use Net Command, and perfect color is enough for me, perfect tint would just make for more tedious color tuning.... so I saved the money and bought from amazon, who also refunded me some money after they dropped the price within a month after I bought it. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with how everything turned out.

I would loved to have gone with a front projector, but it would have been more trouble and expense that it was worth.
But is the PQ as good as the Diamond series?

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
I have this set, no problems, great picture, with the exception of side views, which is a characteristic of all rear projection TV. I think you will be happy.
The value that these units offer, coupled by the picture size, and the relatively low cost of owning, makes these a deal.
Yeah the thing could crap out tomorrow, but that is the case with all electronics, and if you go LCD, plasma your risk is higher.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Get the Diamond man. I dont think it is any better than the lower series but you can tell everyone you have the best DLP that Mits makes.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
But is the PQ as good as the Diamond series?
I honestly haven't seen the diamond, but it wouldn't have mattered because I wasn't going to spend the extra $1000 regardless, but considering the only thing that would be different picturewise is the 120hz. and I don't know how much difference that would actually make.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis