Your expert suggestions for subwoofer please!

M

martian63

Audiophyte
A powered subwoofer is completely self-contained, with the internal amplifier matched to the specifications of the driver. There is no correlation between your receiver and subwoofer as far as impedance is concerned, so you can purchase whichever unit you'd like.
Thank you for the explanation! As you can see, I'm clueless and had spent my Physics class hours playing games. So... if a speaker is not self-powered, it should match the Ohms specs of receiver, if it is self-powered, don't worry about getting your receiver fried.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
To confuse matter's further...unless you've got some really
High end or just plain weird spkrs...you dont have to worry about ohm's at all....the switch on most av receiver's was put there to avoid lawsuits...it does'nt really have much purpose other than that.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Thank you for the explanation! As you can see, I'm clueless and had spent my Physics class hours playing games. So... if a speaker is not self-powered, it should match the Ohms specs of receiver, if it is self-powered, don't worry about getting your receiver fried.
Yes and no. Unfortunately it's not quite that simple, but the short answer is the lower the speaker ohms the more powerful a receiver/amp you need. In other words 4 ohm speakers will require more to drive them then 8 ohm speakers will, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to "match" them to the receiver. Virtually all receivers can technically drive 4 ohm speakers, just not very hard or loud.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... and I hated the lingering resonance (the echo in dome effect). The 300 watt power simply amplifies that imperfection (for me). However, for that price, it is a great deal.

Thanks!
...(but when it comes to movies love some lows without the echoing booms and vibrations)....

Thanks you your reply!
These are room issues and not necessarily a sub issue, so be careful where you think the fault is.

M

martian63

Audiophyte
These are room issues and not necessarily a sub issue, so be careful where you think the fault is.
I definitely knew where the fault was when I tried other subs in the same room, placing them at the same spot.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Yes, preliminary thoughts would be fine. I figured a full review might take some time, but I am also not in a rush :) PM me that info if you don't want to post that info up until the review.
I published my review of the Rythmik LV12R. If you're still interested click on this link.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis