Your all time favorite loudspeakers

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've been wrestling with a pair of AR3a's for some time. Aside from their bass reach, I've always thought they were overrated. There were all kinds of interference effects because of the
haphazard driver layout, and the crossover didn't amount to much. I always thought they had kind of a gooey coloration with a general lack of transparency.
I agree. In fact, the list of "vintage" speakers that I was ever impressed with is very short, and none of the ARs were ever on it. My list would include:

- Quad ESL63 - an amazing accomplishment, if you could afford them and put up with their idiosyncrasies.
- Other ancient electrostatics, like the KLH 9 and the Acoustat, ditto on the caveats, especially their lack of ability to play loudly.
- Apogees, any of them, but particularly the Apogee Scintilla. They still compare well to most modern speakers.
- ADS L1530 and L1590. IMHO, in their day (the 1980s), the best-sounding box speakers I had heard in that decade.

Modern speakers blow old speakers away, IMO. I've never understood the fascination with vintage speakers. It reminds me of people who are fascinated by stock 1960s muscle cars - I don't get it.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I certainly agree with your list. I would add the KLH 12, which was amazingly smooth, due in part to the two acoustic suspension midranges that were run full range and equalized in the
KLH table radio and their "suitcase" all-in-one phono player. I owned the KLH 5's for many, many years--they were the same as the 12's, but in a smaller (but still large) bookshelf cabinet. I loved those, although the midbass was a little boomy in that smaller cabinet. Far superior to the 3a's.

sgtjim

sgtjim

Junior Audioholic
B & W Nautilus 804 (Recently purchased used and had to replace one tweeter). Best speaker I have ever heard/owned. I don't frequent audio shops because I would buy new diamonds if I heard them

My stuff:
Panasonic - VIERA / TCP55VT50
Emotiva XPA-5 X-Ref 12 sub
Denon 2807
Oppo BDP 93
B & W N804 Mains
B & W 603 Rear surrounds
B & W LCR 600 Center
ASW 600 sub
B & W CDS6 S3 rear heights

Be nice to add a signature...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I certainly agree with your list. I would add the KLH 12, which was amazingly smooth, due in part to the two acoustic suspension midranges that were run full range and equalized in the
KLH table radio and their "suitcase" all-in-one phono player. I owned the KLH 5's for many, many years--they were the same as the 12's, but in a smaller (but still large) bookshelf cabinet. I loved those, although the midbass was a little boomy in that smaller cabinet. Far superior to the 3a's.
I've never heard the KLH 12s, but I did own a KLH Twenty-One Table Radio until it stopped working. (I sold it for parts years ago.) My mother thought I was nuts when I brought it home, at least until I turned it on. My father told me I wasted my money. I've always figured I was switched at birth. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been wrestling with a pair of AR3a's for some time. Aside from their bass reach, I've always thought they were overrated. There were all kinds of interference effects because of the
haphazard driver layout, and the crossover didn't amount to much. I always thought they had kind of a gooey coloration with a general lack of transparency. They're sitting about 2 feet away from me now waiting for me to decide whether I want to finish restoring them to roughly stock condition, or design a proper crossover from scratch.
Have you heard the AR7 and the 6?. I thought the 7 was the best small book shelf I have ever heard and the AR6 has tighter bass than the 3a, but obviously won't hit as low.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm tempted, but I don't know whether there would be any resale market for such an altered product. Unfortunately, the tweeter domes have pretty much disintegrated and original relacements aren't available, so they would never be stock anyhow. Anybody want a cool 1960's looking speaker with a great woofer and an optimized crossover? Hello?
I want them, if you can restore them to equal or better than the stock SQ.:D

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have favorite speakers among those I haven't owned. Of those that I have owned, my favorites are the B&W 802 and the Klipschorn.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I want them, if you can restore them to equal or better than the stock SQ.:D
Well, I'm sure I could do that. If you really would like to pursue this, PM me and I can give you details on the cabinet condition and we can discuss a possible price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis