Your all time favorite loudspeakers

E

ejr1953

Audiophyte
I have been a long-time B&W customer. I was ready to replace my CM5's with a pair of new 805 Diamonds, until I attended an event at my local audio salon (Gramophone in Columbia, Maryland) and auditioned the Totem Element Fire monitors. After the event I returned to audition the two (for nearly three hours) and selected the Totems.

I've had the Totem Fire's now for about eight months and enjoy them as much today as ever, with no "itch" to listen to anything else.

My equipment:

NAD M3
NAD M4
NAD M5
NAD DAC1
Furman power conditioner
Totem Fire monitors (living room)
B&W CM5 monitors (dining room)
Velodyne Optimum 10 subwoofer
Audioquest cabling

Used a Nordost tuning CD, a sound pressure level meter and the bi-amp feature of the NAD M3 to "tune" the transition from the Totems to the Velodyne at 80hz.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Ohm F
Ohm Micro Walsh 2
Pinnacle Classic Gold Tower (sentimental favorite)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've always wanted to listen to the Wharfedale Opus 2 and their Jade series and the Dali Epicon line of speakers.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That's because your young:D
And also because he hasn't done much reading about modern loudspeakers. The AR3 was one of the most important speakers in loudspeaker history. It introduced the dome tweeter and midrange, and the acoustic suspension woofer, which allowed for the first time deep bass extension in a bookshelf-size speaker. More important, it established uncolored sound as a primary criterion for speaker evaluation, rather than the boomy, screechy "West Coast" sound popular at the time. As it turns out, modern developments in bass reflex design have pretty much supplanted the pure acoustic suspension approach to bass reproduction, and the AR3 is actually quite colored by current standards. But it was definitely a breakthrough design, and sold by a company that put Consumer Protection on the map before the movement even developed. They refused to price maintain their products, and sold at razor-thin margins. Plus, they had a 5-year unlimited warranty that was unheard of at the time. My first speakers were AR4's that I got at a steep discount through a Washington D.C. mail order house. The lack of dealer support pretty much doomed the original AR operation, but they were a milestone in speaker development and acceptance I restored a pair of AR3a's several years ago, and you can see how they measure here: MurphyBlaster Productions
Not so great, due mostly to cancellation effects between the tweeter and midrange. But these shifted as you moved around, and the overall sound was quite smooth, though muted in the mid-highs. And they went down to 32 Hz.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I had AR9s in the late 70s and early 80s. Power hungry suckers, but I loved 'em. Then again, if I heard them now, I'm unsure I'd like them as much. Link: Acoustic Research AR9 on thevintageknob.org I don't really believe the SPL was 87. Maybe 84 or 85.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
And also because he hasn't done much reading about modern loudspeakers. The AR3 was one of the most important speakers in loudspeaker history. It introduced the dome tweeter and midrange, and the acoustic suspension woofer, which allowed for the first time deep bass extension in a bookshelf-size speaker. More important, it established uncolored sound as a primary criterion for speaker evaluation, rather than the boomy, screechy "West Coast" sound popular at the time. As it turns out, modern developments in bass reflex design have pretty much supplanted the pure acoustic suspension approach to bass reproduction, and the AR3 is actually quite colored by current standards. But it was definitely a breakthrough design, and sold by a company that put Consumer Protection on the map before the movement even developed. They refused to price maintain their products, and sold at razor-thin margins. Plus, they had a 5-year unlimited warranty that was unheard of at the time. My first speakers were AR4's that I got at a steep discount through a Washington D.C. mail order house. The lack of dealer support pretty much doomed the original AR operation, but they were a milestone in speaker development and acceptance I restored a pair of AR3a's several years ago, and you can see how they measure here: MurphyBlaster Productions
Not so great, due mostly to cancellation effects between the tweeter and midrange. But these shifted as you moved around, and the overall sound was quite smooth, though muted in the mid-highs. And they went down to 32 Hz.
I had a pair of the AR5 back in 69. Interesting speakers..

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Energy 22
Mirage SM3
Mission 770
Realistic Minimus 7

PSB Imagine T2

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
If we're talking about revolutionary loudspeakers, the AR9LS certainly deserves a spot in the top 5..perhaps right below the AR9!

We went from this:

to this:

to this:

The tweeter is even loaded in a waveguide! :D

AR is probably my favorite loudspeaker company of all time, followed by Harman. I have a feeling their R&D department was significantly better funded than their marketing department!

I also think Boston Acoustics' VR12 deserves a spot on that list. Perhaps not as groundbreaking as the first acoustic suspension or bass reflex design, the VR12 allowed everybody in large rooms to enjoy clear dialog, not just the people sitting directly in front of the TV.

View attachment 11205

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I'm going to limit my list to speakers I've heard. I think that to do otherwise wouldn't be in keeping with the spirit of the question.

B&W CM9
B&W PM1 (probably the best monitors I've heard)
Goldenear Triton 2
Wilson Sasha WATT/Puppy
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
Pioneer FS52 by Andrew Jones
MartinLogan Summit
Klipsch WF35

davidscott55

Audiophyte
favs I have owned
New Advents
Allison Cubes
Polk Monitor 10s
Original DCM Time Windows
Infinity Primus 363 (current)
Dave
In the order that I owned them

Last edited:
D

Dentdog

Audiophyte
Had a good friend with a pair of AR3as, then two pair stacked. Mc 2205s. My introduction to high fi.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Had a good friend with a pair of AR3as, then two pair stacked. Mc 2205s. My introduction to high fi.
I've been wrestling with a pair of AR3a's for some time. Aside from their bass reach, I've always thought they were overrated. There were all kinds of interference effects because of the
haphazard driver layout, and the crossover didn't amount to much. I always thought they had kind of a gooey coloration with a general lack of transparency. They're sitting about 2 feet away from me now waiting for me to decide whether I want to finish restoring them to roughly stock condition, or design a proper crossover from scratch.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've been wrestling with a pair of AR3a's for some time. Aside from their bass reach, I've always thought they were overrated. There were all kinds of interference effects because of the
haphazard driver layout, and the crossover didn't amount to much. I always thought they had kind of a gooey coloration with a general lack of transparency. They're sitting about 2 feet away from me now waiting for me to decide whether I want to finish restoring them to roughly stock condition, or design a proper crossover from scratch.
I'd opt for the 2nd choice myself. I'm sure you'd enjoy designing a new crossover for them. The question for me is always time.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'd opt for the 2nd choice myself. I'm sure you'd enjoy designing a new crossover for them. The question for me is always time.
I'm tempted, but I don't know whether there would be any resale market for such an altered product. Unfortunately, the tweeter domes have pretty much disintegrated and original relacements aren't available, so they would never be stock anyhow. Anybody want a cool 1960's looking speaker with a great woofer and an optimized crossover? Hello?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis