YIOF wants to diy......YA RLY!

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
alright so i've decided to build my next pair of speakers.

no tiny bookshelves here, no "low profile" towers, it's gotta be big, loud, and dig deep.

three way or four way.

size and aesthetics is not a problem. i dont really want to follow a pre fab plan, i want them to be what i want them to be. want to get it as low to 20hz as i possibly can, i want it to run without a sub at reference levels on big theater bass. simple cabinets, nothing rediculously complicated.

help me out here. i have a program that calculates and allows you to tweak cabinet dimensions, so that shouldn't be an issue. can't decide if i want to do ported or not ported though, i'm leaning to sealed for the simple fact that: its simpler, more often then not more accurate, and i don't have to worry about port noise at high levels.

i've got the electronics part handled, thankfully, i'm not a dumbass in that department, as far as the acoustics, cabinet geometry, etc, i'm slightly lost.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
three way or four way.

i dont really want to follow a pre fab plan, i want them to be what i want them to be.
Passively? NO. You might not even be able to put together a good sounding 2-way.

Then your best bet will be digital / active. You will need a crossover IE Behringer DCX or MiniDSP4x8, and an amp channel for each section of the 3-way or 4-way. Cost adds up for what you're talking about.

want to get it as low to 20hz as i possibly can, i want it to run without a sub at reference levels on big theater bass. simple cabinets, nothing rediculously complicated.
20hz means you need a lot of displacement. Subwoofer type displacement with 15 or 18 inch woofers. Cost adds up.

help me out here. i have a program that calculates and allows you to tweak cabinet dimensions, so that shouldn't be an issue. can't decide if i want to do ported or not ported though, i'm leaning to sealed for the simple fact that: its simpler, more often then not more accurate, and i don't have to worry about port noise at high levels.
..20hz and SEALED at reference levels?

Oh boy.

Seriously, this is your first build, and I don't think what you have in mind is going to work out even a quarter as well as you expect it to. Seriously put some thought into this. Most of us here will tell you that an existing design will likely be your best
bet.

If you do want to go through with this, the first investment you need to make is MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Passively? NO. You might not even be able to put together a good sounding 2-way.

Then your best bet will be digital / active. You will need a crossover IE Behringer DCX or MiniDSP4x8, and an amp channel for each section of the 3-way or 4-way. Cost adds up for what you're talking about.

20hz means you need a lot of displacement. Subwoofer type displacement with 15 or 18 inch woofers. Cost adds up.

..20hz and SEALED at reference levels?

Oh boy.

Seriously, this is your first build, and I don't think what you have in mind is going to work out even a quarter as well as you expect it to. Seriously put some thought into this. Most of us here will tell you that an existing design will likely be your best
bet.

If you do want to go through with this, the first investment you need to make is MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT.
why wouldn't i be able to even do a good sounding two way? and yes, i am aware of the amount of displacement and requirement for huge drivers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Instead of reinventing the wheel, why not get get the plans for high quality and well engineered, tested and proven wheels? (like from Zaph)

Or even better just buy the GR kit and build the cabinet yourself from plan?

Or even better than that get DIY kit with self assembly cabinet?

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Instead of reinventing the wheel, why not get get the plans for high quality and well engineered, tested and proven wheels? (like from Zath)

Or even better just buy the GR kit and build the cabinet yourself from plan?

Or even better than that get DIY kit with self assembly cabinet?
links? (10char)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
why wouldn't i be able to even do a good sounding two way? and yes, i am aware of the amount of displacement and requirement for huge drivers.
It's not that you're not capable, but there's a lot of factors in the design process that you would surely overlook for a first time build - you might think you're going big but instead you might already mess it up the moment you pick your drivers.

Get your feet wet with stuff that's already out there - maybe build a pair of statements like Jinjuku did. I recommended the Zaph TMM in the other thread for you earlier and I think that will be a very good beginner speaker.

If, eventually you want to make your own designs, learn about everything that makes a good speaker, and start small. You didn't learn Quantum Physics in Elementary school, did you? Someday, you might be very capable. For now though, learn how to assemble a speaker, before you worry about DESIGNING one!

Even getting a 2-way to sound right means integrating the drivers well so that the transition from midbass to tweeter is smooth and natural. The more "ways" you add, the more complexity you are adding.

Think of a full range driver (1-way) as a bicycle.
Think of a 2-way as a 21-speed Mountain Bike with shock absorbers and brakes.
Think of a 2.5-way as that 21-speed mountain bike, with a motorized component to give it just a bit of boost.
Think of a 3-way as a motor scooter
Think of a 4-way as a ducati

Which of the above can you confidently say you can DESIGN and build from total scratch? Maybe the mountain bike, but not surely, right? Sure if you read up a bit more, you could surely design the mountain bike, even with the motor boost, but that doesn't mean you have so much experience that it would be foolproof.

Maybe first focus on learning how to build. With a schematic and all the parts in front of you you could assemble even the ducati while slowly learning what each part does and how it is supposed to go etc.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Here is a pretty straightforward kit that you might consider:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-za5.5-tall-tower-2.5-way-pair/

Just make the box to spec and you'll be good to go. Nothing ridiculously complex, but still a big step up over any commercial offerings, and it doesn't need to be a tower, you can make it a very tall, thin """bookshelf""" if vertical space is a problem as the volume requirement isn't huge.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/189657-building-zaph-audio-za5-5tt-mmtmm-2-5-way-vertical-array.html

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There is nothing wrong with doing a solid 2-way for your first speakers. I would not recommend you build a 3-way first because you will want to get a lot more practice in construction of books, shelves, etc before undertaking this build.

I first recommend you build a simple subwoofer instead of a speaker. Maybe build some shelves to get used to the building process.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis