Yet another noob with questions :)

V

videsiboy

Audiophyte
These questions are asked so many times. I searched through different threads to find a set up I can go with. But I am still confused.

This is a great forum. Really helpful people..

Anyway.. I had Denon DHT-700DV HTIB for about 8 years now and recently my receiver went dead. (shutting off after couple of seconds). Now I want to build a mid range system slowly.

As the speakers form DHT-700DV are still working, I am planning to start with a receiver purchase. I am thinking of Onkyo TX-NR609. For next couple of months I might be using this receiver with Denon speakers.

Later my plan is to get floor standing speakers as mains... then add a good subwoofer.. then center speaker.. and then surrounds. I am living in an apartment. I don't want to go beyond 5.1 as of now.

Another option I am looking into is to replace everything with 'Denon DHT-1312BA A/V Home Theater Receiver with Boston Acoustics MCS 160 5.1 Surround Speaker system'. This will save me some money. I am wondering whether it is decent enough.

I was satisfied with the sound I was getting from DHT-700DV. My aim now is to get better sound than what I was getting with my previous system.

Help me choose please.. :) :)

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
I'd rather have the Onkyo for my base as a HT setup. It at least has room correction software, that HTIB Denon (1312 AVR) does not have any. And I'd rather have a Denon 1612 since it has Audyssey MultEQ - the 609 has only 2EQ, it doesn't equalize the sub. The difference between having no room correction software and 2EQ is well worth the difference in cost but the MultEQ is just that much better.

I like your first idea, build the system as quickly as funds allow, in the end you'll have a superior sounding setup. If you aren't opposed to buying refurbished take a look at accessories4less.com for Onkyo (also shoponkyo.com) and Marantz and DakMart.com for Denon.

V

videsiboy

Audiophyte
Thank you!!!

How about going with Denon 1712?
The difference I see between 1612 and 1712 is number of channels. Just for future expansion possibility, I am thinking of going with 7.1 receiver.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
The main difference between the 1612 and 1712 is the number of channels and claimed power. 15 watts is negligible in real world use. You can compare the features. Either is good IMO - if 7 channel is in your plans then the 1712 would be an excellent choice and either are better than the Onkyo 609 IMO due to Onkyo not putting MultEQ on the low/mid level model like Denon does. Onkyo jumps up to MultEQ XT with the NR709 - you may want to include that in your considerations. It also has preamp out jacks so an external amp can be added for more power.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Now I want to build a mid range system slowly.

As the speakers form DHT-700DV are still working, I am planning to start with a receiver purchase. I am thinking of Onkyo TX-NR609. For next couple of months I might be using this receiver with Denon speakers.

Later my plan is to get floor standing speakers as mains... then add a good subwoofer.. then center speaker.. and then surrounds. I am living in an apartment. I don't want to go beyond 5.1 as of now.
No matter what you end up getting, keep the budget spend ratio of 60-70% speakers and 35-40% everything else. The improvement in going from $500 vs $1000 speakers is much greater than the improvement in going from $500 vs $1000 receiver.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One thing to keep in mind about 7.1 is that those last two channels can prove somewhat problematical. They have to be placed several feet behind and above the listener so if your seating is against a wall, you're pretty much screwed.

V

videsiboy

Audiophyte
I have space behind. I should be good there. :)

So.. if I get a 7.1 receiver and have only 5.1 speakers, where does the surround speakers go? To the back channel?

I think my spending ratio is going to be about the same. I might spend about $400 on receiver and about $1000+ on speakers.

At a later point of time, if I have to get a sub + floor standing mains (I don't mind book shelf speakers), what would be a good combination with 1912? (now I am thinking about 1912, as it is Airplay ready)

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
^^ To the surrounds at your sides.

Not much content discretely mixed for rear surrounds is out there but it's starting to show up in some recent releases.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis