Yamaha's new RX-A1040 gets reviewed

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Darn it. Now I can't brag about the Denon X4000's dual sub EQ anymore. :D

However, no matter if it's YPAO, Lyngdorf, Dirac, Trinnov, ARC, etc., I can still brag about Audyssey Dynamic EQ (for people who can't live w/o DEQ). ;)

Dolby's Volume Modeler isn't very impressive based on my own listening experience.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Based on what I've read below, it has the facilities to independently correct for two subwoofers in YPAO .

Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 A/V Receiver Review - HomeTheaterHiFi.com

That's unfortunate. I wish Yamaha would update their algo so that YPAO would independently calibrate delay and level for each sub and then do a global EQ correction for ALL subs.

The older RX-A1010 did NOT have independent sub settings as you can see here so if the review you linked has added that, at least that's a step in the right direction:
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a1010/rx-a1010-introduction

Sadly the Secret's reviewer set the receiver to the low impedance setting not realizing he's choking off the power as I've shown countless times with measurements :(

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Dolby's Volume Modeler isn't very impressive based on my own listening experience.
Have to disagree with you there as I have always felt DV sounds more balanced overall. To each their own...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's unfortunate. I wish Yamaha would update their algo so that YPAO would independently calibrate delay and level for each sub and then do a global EQ correction for ALL subs.

The older RX-A1010 did NOT have independent sub settings as you can see here so if the review you linked has added that, at least that's a step in the right direction:
Yamaha RX-A1010 AVENTAGE A/V Receiver Bass Management | Audioholics

Sadly the Secret's reviewer set the receiver to the low impedance setting not realizing he's choking off the power as I've shown countless times with measurements :(
I would like to see Audioholics get their mits on the *040 series and do a review to see if they progressed any with the ability to seperately tune each channel. Its not that Yamaha lacks the know how. They were the first to introduce height channel and dynamic compression and doing it without relying on Dolby licenses.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I wish Yamaha would update their algo so that YPAO would independently calibrate delay and level for each sub and then do a global EQ correction for ALL subs.
Gene, I seem to remember you saying this several times. I understand what you want, but don't understand why.
Why would a global EQ be better than an individual? Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis