Yamaha RXV-583 vs Denon AVR-X1300W

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
Worth $100 more for the Yamaha? Is 80 watts per channel enough for my Klipsch reference towers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Did you not find the x3000 that was mentioned in the other Thread to be worthwhile? As for power you need to at least double it before a mere 3db increase. Your speakers could be driven with 40wpc and have no issues ruining your hearing. Depending on your listening habits, a different sub may be in order for the lowest frequencies. There are several spl calculators online fyi.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try using an spl calculator like this to get an idea of amp needs for a given wattage with your speakers with your listening distance...generally the power difference among avrs is trivial, usually within a few dB of each other. Pick an avr for the connectivity and features you want primarily. Klipsch speakers tend to be of relatively higher sensitivity and lessen amp requirements accordingly....

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
Try using an spl calculator like this to get an idea of amp needs for a given wattage with your speakers with your listening distance...generally the power difference among avrs is trivial, usually within a few dB of each other. Pick an avr for the connectivity and features you want primarily. Klipsch speakers tend to be of relatively higher sensitivity and lessen amp requirements accordingly....
Ok but how about the main part of my OP - which receiver is better?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok but how about the main part of my OP - which receiver is better?
What do you mean by better? They're more similar than different. They use different eq/dsp schemes and that's where the difference lies mostly (and some prefer to use their avrs without employing any of it). I prefer Denon's Audyssey to Yamaha's YPAO but that doesn't mean you would. Very hard to compare those features in the store, btw. They're both quite good, but Audyssey does a bit more with subs traditionally altho I believe current YPAO has addressed that, not sure. Yamaha may have a slight advantage in build quality.

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
What do you mean by better? They're more similar than different. They use different eq/dsp schemes and that's where the difference lies mostly (and some prefer to use their avrs without employing any of it). I prefer Denon's Audyssey to Yamaha's YPAO but that doesn't mean you would. Very hard to compare those features in the store, btw. They're both quite good, but Audyssey does a bit more with subs traditionally altho I believe current YPAO has addressed that, not sure. Yamaha may have a slight advantage in build quality.
That was really my main concern, the room correction. They are roughly neck in neck?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd say a Hyundai Elantra performs as good as a civic. The Hyundai might have a better infotainment system. The Honda might have a better AC system

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was really my main concern, the room correction. They are roughly neck in neck?
Haven't compared myself, but from the reading on forums over the years there are many satisfied owners of each. I have had Pioneer's MCACC as well as both XT and XT32 versions of Audyssey, prefer the XT32 but they were all good....never tried YPAO, tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Worth $100 more for the Yamaha? Is 80 watts per channel enough for my Klipsch reference towers?
I thought you were going to say the DENON costs $100 more and whether it was worth it.

The REGULAR MSRP for the Yamaha is $500, while the regular MSRP for the Denon is $600.

But if the Denon costs LESS, then I say it's a no-brainer IMO. The Denon 1300 is normally $600, but on sale for $400. So when you compare price, you need to compare MSRP.

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
I thought you were going to say the DENON costs $100 more and whether it was worth it.

The REGULAR MSRP for the Yamaha is $500, while the regular MSRP for the Denon is $600.

But if the Denon costs LESS, then I say it's a no-brainer IMO. The Denon 1300 is normally $600, but on sale for $400. So when you compare price, you need to compare MSRP.
Isn't Yamaha considered a better brand? Why is the Denon more expensive normally? Is the Denon that much better?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't Yamaha considered a better brand?
No. :D

Denon has Audyssey (especially Audyssey Dynamic EQ), which Yamaha does not have (they have their own room EQ, but not an equivalent Dynamic Subwoofer/Bass EQ like Audyssey Dynamic EQ).

So ONLY because of this, I consider Denon & Marantz a better brand.

In Direct or Pure Direct mode, you won't hear a difference at all between them.

Amazon often has big sales on current/previous Denon AVR models. So I would watch for them. For example, a Denon 3000 series may be on sale for $599.

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern

Denon has Audyssey (especially Audyssey Dynamic EQ), which Yamaha does not have (they have their own room EQ, but not an equivalent Dynamic Subwoofer/Bass EQ like Audyssey Dynamic EQ).

What about the separate crossover points with Audyssey?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about the separate crossover points with Audyssey?
You mean the NEW Audyssey MultEQ Editor App that allows you to edit the Target Curve, edit EQ Frequency Range Adjustment (like under 200Hz only)? Yeah, that's Denon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Amazon often has big sales on current/previous Denon AVR models. So I would watch for them. For example, a Denon 3000 series may be on sale for $599.
I'm pretty sure there is a dynamic eq feature in at least some of the Yamahas...something with volume in the name I think....

ps called YPAO volume apparently....

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was told Audyssey separates each specific speaker as towers, surrounds, etc
That is more avr than Audyssey...some avrs with Audyssey have universal crossover, but I do prefer individual speaker crossover....

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
I'm pretty sure there is a dynamic eq feature in at least some of the Yamahas...something with volume in the name I think....

ps called YPAO volume apparently....
I just got the RXV-581 for $349 at Best Buy, good deal?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis