YAMAHA RX-Z9 bass management

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Hello everyone, I have a Yamaha RX-Z9, My question is in the bass management. I have a pair of Klipsch RF-7 II. Klipsch claims they can play down to 30hz however I still set them to small. My subwoofer setting in the Z9 I have set to 60hz and all speakers set to small. My questions tho is in the (bass out ). the choice is both or sub. I have this set to sub. I have two Klipsch subs Why would anyone set that to both? If set to both, does that automatically make your mains run as LARGE now even though u have them set to small ? Please help Yamaha even seems confused by this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You can try 2 things:
  • Set the speakers large and the bass setting to "both". This will give you fullrange to the towers and sub active in 2CH but can also give you too much bass below the crossover frequency. This can be a good thing in large rooms and/or can be tamed with an EQ. You should really get an RTA and measure the response in your room.
  • Set the main speakers to small and the bass out to "sub". I would raise the crossover frequency to 60-80Hz else you can potentially truncate the LFE info going to the sub.
For more info, see: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok thank you Gene, from everything I've learned from you, I always thought let the lower freq go to the sub? If I set the mains to LARGE and bass out to Both, my mains will be getting freq below 30hz depending on source ? IM also confused about what u said about two channel. If all my speakers are set to small and my sub is crossed over at 60hz all my speakers will be getting 60 HZ and above. When I listen to Pandora with my Sonos app in (straight mode ) my RF-7s are getting 60hz and above ? I'm getting bass in straight mode even if I have it in 2ch mode I'm getting bass out of my subs and 60hz and above to my mains ? Correct ? So if I set my bass out to BOTH now my mains become LARGE automatically ?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you set the bass to "both" then yes it will likely make your speakers large on your receiver. I suggested trying this if you need a bass boost in your system but if the bass it too excessive, use the small setting. The Z9 doesn't have separate LFE and Xover settings so I don't suggest setting the crossover much lower than 80Hz at least for multi-channel.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
So u would NOT recommend setting my sub setting in the z9 to 60hz?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
And if I set my bass out to both , will that potentially damage the main speakers ? Provided that they only play down to 30hz

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I only listen to the straight mode for music, Yamaha claims this is no processing , where the 2ch mode is a DSP MODE technically I don't listen to multi channel music

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have read your article on bass management made simple a lot That's why I set my sub freq at 60hz. My mains say they play down to 30. While my KLipsch center RC-64 claims 59hz and my surround are RS-62 those are 50 hz. So I set everything to small and bass out to subwoofer . My sub is crossed over at 60hz. Both of my subs are LFE. so I'm using the crossover in the Z9 I don't really think I need a bass boost since I have two 15 inch Subs. RSW-15 Klipsch. My mains are powered by a Mcintosh MC-252 so plenty of power. what do you think of my settings ?

Last edited:
JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Thank you Gene for your responses. Now I know that if I were to set the (Bass out) feature to (Both) it basically runs the Mains as large, even if they are set to small. I will just experiment, however I'm leaning towards everything you have taught. I will probably keep everything small and sub crossed either at 60hz or 80hz I just thought that it was a waste to buy large towers and cross them at 80hz, so I crossed the subs at 60 hz. What would you really recommend doing ? Those really low frequencys are probably better handled by the subs

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis