Yamaha rx v781 , need advice on speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
^^ +1 I'd definitely try using the current speakers and concentrate on a sub. Let us know if you need help setting them up.

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
^^ +1 I'd definitely try using the current speakers and concentrate on a sub. Let us know if you need help setting them up.
Thank you, I'm sure I will need the help! Lol. I just bought 200 feet of 16 gauge speaker wire. These beasts probably need 12 at least... :(

Still trying to upload pics... Don't know how to make them smaller than the 1mb max? I'm on iPhone and iPad.

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
I read a couple of threads about Nuance speakers. They seem to be shrouded in scandal, retailing for much higher than their value, being peddled with shady sales tactics, and eventually succumbing to a lawsuit. That's not to say they aren't decent sounding speakers, though -- only that they were demoed with atypically enhanced content intended to give customers a false sense of imaging. The speakers had an unreasonable profit margin, and salesmen were encouraged to push them onto people who couldn't afford them.

But your Nuance speakers might be a bit more attractive at the price your husband paid. $75 per speaker is pretty decent. Apparently somebody somewhere liked them well enough to hear them in a demo and spend several thousand dollars for them, right? Since you've already got them, might as well plug them in and see what happens. At worst, they are unlistenable and you keep shopping for mains. But if they sound better than your TV's built-in speakers, maybe you can procrastinate upgrading your mains until Christmas, and for now devote all your HT budget into a grown-up subwoofer. :)

I am going to attempt it tomorro. Will my 16 gauge wire be big enough? It is pure copper.... They came with this really wide wire though, must be 10g. But it was old and gross and I threw most of it away. I still have some though, if you think that would be better than the 16. I will have to lay the speaker down to connect it. I'll get a pic when it's down, as I'm sure I'll need help to do this properly lol.

I played with my profile a bit .... Can't see where to edit.. But I'll keep trying.

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
@Zilly Consider modifying your profile and setting your location to BFE, Canada or whatever you consider appropriate. It'll be good for people to know you're not in the USA when considering your budget and available speakers. Shipping for the AA monitors will likely exceed $100 across the border.
When I go to 'your account', it gives me an error message and says I don't have permission. I tried other things, to no avail. So finally I went to the FAQ. What I found there was a huge list of rules (and I read them all), but no frequently asked questions. For a brief moment I thought about starting a new thread to ask about it, but after reading all the rules I was too scared to do that lolol :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, you can manage to spend more than that on some of the audiophool wires if you really want to. Caveat emptor.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
See the Audioholics speaker gauge guidelines article. Unless your mains are more than 10 to 20 feet from your receiver (depending on their impedance rating), 16-gauge oxygen-free copper is plenty.

I find it helpful to use an external image host. There's Imgur, Tinypic, and a plethora of others. Just upload your large images there, set your resize options, copy the BBCode, and paste it into your post here.

Not sure what post count thresholds are needed to modify one's forum profile, but I'd be surprised if you haven't met them yet. But now that you mention it, I see what you mean about not being able to set a location for yourself. I poked around my own profile, and the only place I saw my location was in a place that isn't editable. I guess just visit your profile, click the "Report" link, and request a forum moderator to set your location for you. Edit: Post your request here.

Last edited:
Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
The BicF12 arrived today. Will be rearranging my ht room today. Have not hooked up the beasts yet, am waiting for help.

I'm thinking if the 2 towers which both have bass- if they work and sound good (to me), I think the f12 might be enough for this room. But, I'm not a techie so I'm not sure. Anyway, the next week or so should tell the story!

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
Just to update, keeping the Bic F12. I am pleasant surprised with its nice rich bass that is not overly boomy like what I was expecting! Maybe it's the size of my room? I'm not sure, but I'm keeping it.

Have not connected towers yet, been too busy. Soon I hope

Cheers!

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
So..... It turned out I didn't have the proper cables to properly hook up the nuance towers. That, combined with the fact of their weight and difficulty for me to work with on my own, had my frustration through the roof! So the result? As I type this I am breaking in my new Fluance Xl7F's. Lol don't judge. By this very first hour I can already tell I like them!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Welcome to the forum Zilly. :)

Can you post the model numbers of the Nuance speakers? It will give us a better idea of what you are playing with. Another thing we would like to know is the room layout.. Where are you planning on putting your speakers in teh room and where are the seating postions located. How far from the front speakers will you be sitting? This is a huge room from bass perspective but it may not be so large from a lower midrange to high frequency perspective depending on how far away you sit from the speakers.

Because our Canadian dollar sucks, I would steer away from ID companies from the US (unless they take our dollar close to par) and concentrate on Canadian manufacturers like PSB, Paradigm, (maybe Energy although Klipch bought them and may have ruined them) Totem, Sinclair, Focus Audio to name a few.

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
Hello 3db, thank you for the welcome! On the back of the nuance towers it just says Subwoofermodule N500. However I did not look closely at the bottom for any information. I just recently rearranged my room and it is complete now. I still need to take Rojo's advice and find an external picture editor host because I have not been able to upload pictures. I will also take the new measurements! And lastly, i want to set my signature(?) with The equipment I have, how yours is, above ^

:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why use an external host for pictures rather than upload the file from your computer?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Zilly, Let me welcome to AH. It's fun to hear about another person adventures with audio, but I think the subject of the post is a bit misleading - you're clearly not interested in anyone's advice, but a pat on the back and confirmation of your own choice.

Just to be clear - I'm not judging you. You're totally welcome to run a your own thread about your own choices and adventures in audio, but the fact is - you're clearly here not interested receiving any advice.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@Zilly I think BSA, though thoroughly tactless in his presentation, has his heart in the right place. What he means (I think) is that it's a very natural rookie mistake to accept empirical data as fact, to be drawn to products with fluffy reviews. Most of those reviews, particularly customer reviews, were written by people such as yourself who've had very little experience in critical listening, examining quantitative measurement data, learning from mistakes, or building reputation. Without having heard how good a system can sound, you simply don't have a frame of reference upon which to judge greatness. It's not a flaw. It's simply what is. And without that frame of reference, you're content with mediocrity.

Put it this way. Pretend you live in poverty in a third world country. All you've ever eaten are grains soaked in water, maybe an occasional lizard. Now someone comes along and gives you a McDonald's hamburger. It's the best thing you've ever tasted! Those Fluance XL7F towers and BIC subwoofer are the McDonald's hamburger. We are trying to get you to try a thick cut of medium rare kobe beef ribeye with a garlic bleu cheese Bordeaux glaze, but you're sticking with McDonald's. From your point of view, how could anything be better than McDonald's?

I hope you don't take BSA's criticism as an insult. And we recognize that your journey must start somewhere, just as ours all did. We just hope your journey continues, and that you'll allow us point out the pitfalls and scenic overlooks along the way.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Why use an external host for pictures rather than upload the file from your computer?
Hosted images can be viewed at higher resolution, and they're visible inline without requiring any clicks. Compare. External image host:

Attached:

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's an option to show full sized images instead of just the thumbnail....what I've been using. Have no use for an outside host service otherwise. YMMV I suppose....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Zilly I think BSA, though thoroughly tactless in his presentation, has his heart in the right place. What he means (I think) is that it's a very natural rookie mistake to accept empirical data as fact, to be drawn to products with fluffy reviews. Most of those reviews, particularly customer reviews, were written by people such as yourself who've had very little experience in critical listening, examining quantitative measurement data, learning from mistakes, or building reputation. Without having heard how good a system can sound, you simply don't have a frame of reference upon which to judge greatness. It's not a flaw. It's simply what is. And without that frame of reference, you're content with mediocrity.

Put it this way. Pretend you live in poverty in a third world country. All you've ever eaten are grains soaked in water, maybe an occasional lizard. Now someone comes along and gives you a McDonald's hamburger. It's the best thing you've ever tasted! Those Fluance XL7F towers and BIC subwoofer are the McDonald's hamburger. We are trying to get you to try a thick cut of medium rare kobe beef ribeye with a garlic bleu cheese Bordeaux glaze, but you're sticking with McDonald's. From your point of view, how could anything be better than McDonald's?

I hope you don't take BSA's criticism as an insult. And we recognize that your journey must start somewhere, just as ours all did. We just hope your journey continues, and that you'll allow us point out the pitfalls and scenic overlooks along the way.
I may be rough around corners and Rojo as native english speaker and school teacher could string few words better than I, but I aint apologizing.

My post point was NOT to offend or judge anyone. Just to state facts. OP is far from the first newbie who makes same mistakes. Hell, even I came here asking for advice and then completely ignored it :) (I know better now :) )

I simply don't have time to wring very long posts explaining why Nuance speakers are near borderline white van (or the fact very well documented on AVS forums - likely to have badly made crossover makes your old HK shutdown under average volume , Bic F12 is ok budget sub, but not exactly great.
Flatulace speakers are decent enough, but sadly very inconsistent in quality. Someone may get decent pair and someone get a pair with reversely wired woofer and won't know any better.

As it was said above - you have huge room and you expect VERY loud sound - all on a shoestring budget.
If you want to have a smidgen of quality - you need to slow down and listen for advice. Especially notice suggestion from AH Forum vets, like Herbu, Rojo and myself. Plus plenty of other regulars who know more that all 3 of above together.

Going back to my original point - you keep on making purchases not based on our advice, which is absolutely fine. It's your choice in the end. I just old guy venting at what I see - your quest for our approval, not advice. that's all.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis