Yamaha rx v781 , need advice on speakers

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
Hi! I just purchased my receiver a week ago and I need 2 new speakers and I am on a very tight budget! I thought I found the right fit with Fluance XL7F. However, for the ohm rating, these speakers say 4~8 ohms, and in Gene's review, he cautions about this. So am I over thinking this? Will these speakers be a good match with the rx v781 ? Thank you

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you "need" towers? Why spend more on a receiver than speakers?

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
Why do you "need" towers? Why spend more on a receiver than speakers?

Well to be honest I wasn't sure I would need speakers at all. I have 4 towers that my husband purchased through local classifieds for 300. He does not research anything he buys. They are 2 6 foot tall and 2 3 foot tall Nuance speakers, that also came with the centre Chanel, which I think sounds good (the centre). I researched them and I know all about them. The 3's dont sound too bad.... I am using them for rears along with the centre. I wanted new ones for the front.

My room is - I am guessing here but I'm going to measure a bit later - 30x30 With 19 foot ceilings. I want biggish sound

Last edited:
Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
The receiver that was driving the nuances is an old HK that would over heat and shut down, definitely needed a new receiver. It was my first audio purchase and I wanted it to be good. Under the 1k mark but still pretty good

Edit- I think my room is bigger than that actually, looking for a measuring tape o_O

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
Lol ok so that was a gross over-estimation. I guess that's why I'm not a carpenter :p My room is 18' x17'. With 3 large openings to other rooms. 19 foot ceilings, carpeted. It feels bigger than that to me for some reason. In this picture everything is going to be rotated 90° to the wall furthest right in the picture. I need to get my tv off the fire place.

Attachments

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
if you're on a tight budget, you'll get better quality bookshelf speakers than towers for the same price. folks here really like those aa's and they know their stuff. you could pair those with a decent sub and have a great sounding system. at that point, you might want to look into a new center channel that's timbre matched. you'll probably want to do that with whatever fronts you decide to go with, be they towers or bookshelf.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you, but I need front towers
1. How much is "a very tight budget"? Hard to make specific recommendations w/o knowing how much we can spend.

2. You have to make a very serious decision. Do you want new speakers to look good or sound good? I find usually when somebody says they want towers, it's because they like the look of towers. Rarely do they understand the true benefits of one over the other.

You may be hard pressed to find anything that sounds better than the AAs in that price range... even with shipping and speaker stands. You may possibly find something that looks like it should sound better. You need to decide which is more important to you.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
That's a HUGE room with high ceilings with wall to wall carpeting?? How loud do you want to play your music/ movies?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well to be honest I wasn't sure I would need speakers at all. I have 4 towers that my husband purchased through local classifieds for 300. He does not research anything he buys. They are 2 6 foot tall and 2 3 foot tall Nuance speakers, that also came with the centre Chanel, which I think sounds good (the centre). I researched them and I know all about them. The 3's dont sound too bad.... I am using them for rears along with the centre. I wanted new ones for the front.

My room is - I am guessing here but I'm going to measure a bit later - 30x30 With 19 foot ceilings. I want biggish sound
Which Nuance models did your husband buy? What sub(s) do you use?

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
1. How much is "a very tight budget"? Hard to make specific recommendations w/o knowing how much we can spend.

2. You have to make a very serious decision. Do you want new speakers to look good or sound good? I find usually when somebody says they want towers, it's because they like the look of towers. Rarely do they understand the true benefits of one over the other.

You may be hard pressed to find anything that sounds better than the AAs in that price range... even with shipping and speaker stands. You may possibly find something that looks like it should sound better. You need to decide which is more important to you.

650 MAX for towers, 300 for sub. I will be auditioning the Bic F12 sub this week. It has a 5 year warranty that turns me on. The Fluance towers I'm looking at have great sound for the price, they could charge 2x or more from what I've read. Even Gene Dasalla (sorry if that's misspelled) gave them a good review

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
Which Nuance models did your husband buy? What sub(s) do you use?
The sub is ARS 108PSB. - I don't like it.
The 6' Nuance towers are SubwooferModule N500. the connections are on the bottom.
The centre is Nuance Magic CensPro - wich is pretty good
I'm trying to upload photos of them but having trouble

Last edited:
Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern

Honestly I think little bookshelf speakers will look ridiculous in this room if they're the main speakers. Everything I've read says the Fluance XL7F sound REALLY good for the price.
650 for speakers and 300 for sub. These are max numbers, so shipping/tax incl.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@Zilly Consider modifying your profile and setting your location to BFE, Canada or whatever you consider appropriate. It'll be good for people to know you're not in the USA when considering your budget and available speakers. Shipping for the AA monitors will likely exceed $100 across the border.

With room dimensions of 18' * 17' * 19', that puts your room at over 5800 cubic feet, solidly into the Extreme room size category. You really don't have a high enough budget devoted to your subwoofage. If you get the BIC and you're underwhelmed, consider sticking with the towers you already have and putting your entire $950 CAD budget into getting a more capable subwoofer. And even that might not be enough.

The SVS PC12-NSD would be better, and *might* be the lowest common denominator capable of pressurizing such a large space for less than a grand in Canada, if such a thing exists. That room really needs at least a 15" subwoofer though, something like the Hsu VTF-15H. If you could save for a Funk Audio sub, that'd be best, and you'd own a piece of true Canadian artisan audiophilia.

Re: towers vs. bookshelfs, that's really more a function of your listening position's linear distance from your mains than the volume of the space. My room is 20' long, and bookshelf speakers are more than plenty. With an appropriate subwoofer, the bass extension achieved by towers instead of bookshelf speakers is rendered moot anyway. The other advantage of towers, higher sensitivity offered by having more drivers, might be a benefit if you had a weaker receiver. But that Yamaha RX-V781 has plenty of power to drive lower sensitivity speakers to satisfactory levels.

Zilly

Zilly

Audioholic Intern
@Zilly Consider modifying your profile and setting your location to BFE, Canada or whatever you consider appropriate. It'll be good for people to know you're not in the USA when considering your budget and available speakers. Shipping for the AA monitors will likely exceed $100 across the border.

With room dimensions of 18' * 17' * 19', that puts your room at over 5800 cubic feet, solidly into the Extreme room size category. You really don't have a high enough budget devoted to your subwoofage. If you get the BIC and you're underwhelmed, consider sticking with the towers you already have and putting your entire $950 CAD budget into getting a more capable subwoofer. And even that might not be enough.

The SVS PC12-NSD would be better, and *might* be the lowest common denominator capable of pressurizing such a large space for less than a grand in Canada, if such a thing exists. That room really needs at least a 15" subwoofer though, something like the Hsu VTF-15H. If you could save for a Funk Audio sub, that'd be best, and you'd own a piece of true Canadian artisan audiophilia.

Re: towers vs. bookshelfs, that's really more a function of your listening position's linear distance from your mains than the volume of the space. My room is 20' long, and bookshelf speakers are more than plenty. With an appropriate subwoofer, the bass extension achieved by towers instead of bookshelf speakers is rendered moot anyway. The other advantage of towers, higher sensitivity offered by having more drivers, might be a benefit if you had a weaker receiver. But that Yamaha RX-V781 has plenty of power to drive lower sensitivity speakers to satisfactory levels.
Rojo thank you for all of your suggestions! I am new to forums so I will have to play around later to figure it out, but I definitely will!

I have not had the 6' towers both hooked up to my new Yamaha. These towers both have dedicated built in subs, and I am learning as I go. I guess I should correctly hook them up and test them. That will be a job. They weigh 115lbs each. But if I'm satisfied with how they sound, I could reconsider how I'm planning to spend my budget! That's a big if though.... Thanks again! I'll be back on later! I want to re-read your post and check all the links

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Rojo thank you for all of your suggestions! I am new to forums so I will have to play around later to figure it out, but I definitely will!

I have not had the 6' towers both hooked up to my new Yamaha. These towers both have dedicated built in subs, and I am learning as I go. I guess I should correctly hook them up and test them. That will be a job. They weigh 115lbs each. But if I'm satisfied with how they sound, I could reconsider how I'm planning to spend my budget! That's a big if though.... Thanks again! I'll be back on later! I want to re-read your post and check all the links
I read a couple of threads about Nuance speakers. They seem to be shrouded in scandal, retailing for much higher than their value, being peddled with shady sales tactics, and eventually succumbing to a lawsuit. That's not to say they aren't decent sounding speakers, though -- only that they were demoed with atypically enhanced content intended to give customers a false sense of imaging. The speakers had an unreasonable profit margin, and salesmen were encouraged to push them onto people who couldn't afford them.

But your Nuance speakers might be a bit more attractive at the price your husband paid. $75 per speaker is pretty decent. Apparently somebody somewhere liked them well enough to hear them in a demo and spend several thousand dollars for them, right? Since you've already got them, might as well plug them in and see what happens. At worst, they are unlistenable and you keep shopping for mains. But if they sound better than your TV's built-in speakers, maybe you can procrastinate upgrading your mains until Christmas, and for now devote all your HT budget into a grown-up subwoofer. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis