Yamaha RX V681 a worthy upgrade from Denon AVR X1200W?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have the Denon, but the Best Buy down the street from my house is closing down and they have one of the Yamahas open box for $389. Is that a worthy upgrade from the Denon? Or should I just pass?

It looks like it has a little bit more of everything, including power. Did I read it right that it has 7 outputs for RCA?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think Yamaha has more models of avrs with a full set of pre-outs but hopefully it's 8 instead of 7 :)
Never tried a Yamaha myself. I don't see a model 689, tho. You mean 679? Or?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oops. 681. I fixed the title. This one.

*Edit: Found it at AC4L for 399. So I guess that's not as awesome as I thought it might be.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No. 25W more is something you will almost not even hear. YPAO is not as good as Audessey AFAIK.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No. 25W more is something you will almost not even hear. YPAO is not as good as Audessey AFAIK.
I edited in a link I for the same unit at AC4L only 10 dollars more. I posted this on my phone from the store. Just got home and did a little more digging. I agree. It's not worth it for 20w more, and if Audyssey is considered better (as is the general consensus) I'm just gonna stick with what I have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the fix. It seems it'd be more a lateral move at this point. Maybe if you really like one of the features...but I don't see a full set of pre-outs, just 2 for subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the fix. It seems it'd be more a lateral move at this point. Maybe if you really like one of the features...but I don't see a full set of pre-outs, just 2 for subs.
Yeah, I saw that too. A full set of preouts is one goal. I'd also like Audyssey XT32, but had read YPAO does a pretty decent job too. Guess not as good as Audyssey though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think you'd be better served by saving and stepping up a level or two. Will be worth it, especially with the Ultras. Though preouts would be nice, none of the other tradeoffs seem worth the effort.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's the master plan. I can wait a year or 2 until some of the models with the features I want come down in price. I'd love a top of the line unit (who wouldn't?), but I think one or 2 steps down would be more realistic on my budget. As long as I'm upgrading to at least XT32 and some substantial power. 140w at 8ohms/2 channel I think would be pretty noticeable. I sit pretty far from my speakers and I like it loud sometimes. I rarely push it this far, but it does start to sound strained close to 0 db. I won't be listening at those levels outside of movies normally though, but it's nice to have the power if I want it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another consideration I had, considering this receiver does have most of what I want, is getting an amp and hooking it up to the zone 2 preouts. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly though. it looks like there's an "all zone stereo" mode that would allow this? If I'm wrong on that, then zone 2 operates completely independent of the main and that sounds like it wouldn't work as a preout for an amp? Okay, I'm confused... Help! :p

I figure if I'm getting a dsp and measurement mic XT would be sufficient?

Is there a way I would assign inputs that would make it work with the receiver powering the center and surrounds while the amp powers the main speakers? For my X1200.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration I had, considering this receiver does have most of what I want, is getting an amp and hooking it up to the zone 2 preouts. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly though. it looks like there's an "all zone stereo" mode that would allow this? If I'm wrong on that, then zone 2 operates completely independent of the main and that sounds like it wouldn't work as a preout for an amp? Okay, I'm confused... Help! :p

I figure if I'm getting a dsp and measurement mic XT would be sufficient?

Is there a way I would assign inputs that would make it work with the receiver powering the center and surrounds while the amp powers the main speakers? For my X1200.
No on the zone 2 thing in general as a way to use a power amp. Does your zone 2 allow simultaneous output as main for your 5.1 source? I'd stick to waiting for the XT32 goal. Is that money just burning a hole in your pocket so bad you can't save for a bit and get something that meets all the goals?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you'd be better served by saving and stepping up a level or two. Will be worth it, especially with the Ultras. Though preouts would be nice, none of the other tradeoffs seem worth the effort.
The RX-V681 preouts are for the subwoofers only. The RX-V781 has a full set of preouts. Even then, remember Gene review on the higher end RX-A860 and found it's preouts are on the low side so I assume the RX-V series may even be worse. So I agree the OP'd better served by saving up for a higher model, such as the RX-A1060 or Denon AVR-X3300W. Anything less than those, may as well keep the X1200W.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would definitely be after one with full preouts, whether or not you use them. 1200 also did not have full preouts IIRC, so lateral move.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No on the zone 2 thing in general as a way to use a power amp. Does your zone 2 allow simultaneous output as main for your 5.1 source? I'd stick to waiting for the XT32 goal. Is that money just burning a hole in your pocket so bad you can't save for a bit and get something that meets all the goals?
Ha ha. No, not burning a hole. I'm gathering information right now. I'm not getting one any time soon, but I have questions I need answered before I can even make an informed decision. In another 8 months or a year something might dip into my price range, but I'm realizing I don't know entirely what to look for. When I got this one I assumed the zone 2 preouts would work if I decided to add an amp down the road.

It does have an all zone stereo mode that sounds like it might work? I have serious doubts. I'm more curious than anything at this point.

*Edit: Yeah, I think at best that might work for stereo (doubtful), but not surround sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ha ha. No, not burning a hole. I'm gathering information right now. I'm not getting one any time soon, but I have questions I need answered before I can even make an informed decision. In another 8 months or a year something might dip into my price range, but I'm realizing I don't know entirely what to look for. When I got this one I assumed the zone 2 preouts would work if I decided to add an amp down the road.

It does have an all zone stereo mode that sounds like it might work? I have serious doubts. I'm more curious than anything at this point.

*Edit: Yeah, I think at best that might work for stereo (doubtful), but not surround sound.
Yes, you could set it up with a switch to be some sort of 2.0 setup I suppose but then your subs wouldn't be used. Due to DRM it's hard to use a zone equally with all inputs, some avrs are better than others. Even if it did all channel stereo, that's IMO not a good way to enjoy your setup....good for parties maybe.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, you could set it up with a switch to be some sort of 2.0 setup I suppose but then your subs wouldn't be used. Due to DRM it's hard to use a zone equally with all inputs, some avrs are better than others. Even if it did all channel stereo, that's IMO not a good way to enjoy your setup....good for parties maybe.
Agreed. I just got a little excited over a receiver I knew very little about. That's why I posted this thread. If it was a smoking deal on a great amp I might have pulled the trigger. Comments from you guys and a little more research tells me to let it go.

The amp questions were more curiosity than a serious consideration. I still have some learning to do before I pull the trigger on anything any time soon. I've never shopped for a super amp before.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis