Audioholic
Review: Yamaha RX-V665
Description: 7.2 Channel Digital Home theater receiver
MSRP: 549.95
Audioholics: $499.00
Reviewer : Joe Schibani (AKA Joeteck)

Specs can be found here

PROs:

I found this receiver to be very feature rich. having 90w x 7, is plenty of power for a 15 x 20 room. Weighing in @ 18lbs makes it perfect for wall hanging. Having two sub woofer outputs is a big plus, however most SUB woofers today have an output if you ever wanted to add more LFE to your theater experience. Having 4 HDMI inputs is big. With today's electronics having HDMI, adding all of your components using a single cable makes it a clean install. One of the features I love (and why I bought this amp), is the up scaling to 1080p via HDMI. (The RX-V565 has this option too). All Video inputs (Composite and Component) are unconverted to 1080p and are sent over the HDMI output. This is a HUGE plus, since you do not need to have different types of cables going to your TV, now you just have one HDMI cable. This receiver is classified as being a 7.2, however the RX-V665 has a second zone than can be used to enhance your front audio experience. I never set this up, as I think 7.2 is plenty of speakers. Its Sirius and XM ready, plus offers a two optional Docks. Blue tooth or Ipod.

CONs:

Believe it or not, there are a few cons, and they are a big deal to me and may be for you as well. I was not aware of this, and you really can't find out about it until you own the product. Or read a review such as this. The Optical and Coaxial inputs are NOT assignable. Rear pic here This is a huge deal for most, as it would have been nice to be able to change them. Why would I have a device connected via composite and use a coaxial audio input when I have component for that? Plus there are no Analog audio for any video input. Nintendo Wii people are out of luck with this one. You'll need to use AV5 or AV6 to connect it using the included composite cables. Audio1 and audio2 are just that, and are not associated with any video input, which one would have thought it would have been with AV1 and AV2, but are clearly not. For being a rather expensive receiver while Pioneer having these features with their lower end models makes me want to go back to Pioneer because of these missing features.

Final thoughts:

Overall, I think this is a very nice receiver. I can overlook the lacking of analog audio on component as this can upscale to 1080p via HDMI, and BTW, does this very nicely. Video is clean and crisp and shows the quality of Yamaha. The layout of the remote is nice and simple to use, as well as the controls on the receiver. The rear was well thought out too, however, having a little more room between the speaker terminals would have been nice. Guys with big hands and fingers may have trouble getting the speaker wires in. Banana plugs may be your only way out. ;) I give this receiver a 8 out of 10.

Joeteck

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Review: Yamaha RX-V665
Description: 7.2 Channel Digital Home theater receiver
MSRP: 549.95
Audioholics: $499.00
Reviewer : Joe Schibani (AKA Joeteck)

Specs can be found here

PROs:

I found this receiver to be very feature rich. having 90w x 7, is plenty of power for a 15 x 20 room. Weighing in @ 18lbs makes it perfect for wall hanging. Having two sub woofer outputs is a big plus, however most SUB woofers today have an output if you ever wanted to add more LFE to your theater experience. Having 4 HDMI inputs is big. With today's electronics having HDMI, adding all of your components using a single cable makes it a clean install. One of the features I love (and why I bought this amp), is the up scaling to 1080p via HDMI. (The RX-V565 has this option too). All Video inputs (Composite and Component) are unconverted to 1080p and are sent over the HDMI output. This is a HUGE plus, since you do not need to have different types of cables going to your TV, now you just have one HDMI cable. This receiver is classified as being a 7.2, however the RX-V665 has a second zone than can be used to enhance your front audio experience. I never set this up, as I think 7.2 is plenty of speakers. Its Sirius and XM ready, plus offers a two optional Docks. Blue tooth or Ipod.

CONs:

Believe it or not, there are a few cons, and they are a big deal to me and may be for you as well. I was not aware of this, and you really can't find out about it until you own the product. Or read a review such as this. The Optical and Coaxial inputs are NOT assignable. Rear pic here This is a huge deal for most, as it would have been nice to be able to change them. Why would I have a device connected via composite and use a coaxial audio input when I have component for that? Plus there are no Analog audio for any video input. Nintendo Wii people are out of luck with this one. You'll need to use AV5 or AV6 to connect it using the included composite cables. Audio1 and audio2 are just that, and are not associated with any video input, which one would have thought it would have been with AV1 and AV2, but are clearly not. For being a rather expensive receiver while Pioneer having these features with their lower end models makes me want to go back to Pioneer because of these missing features.

Final thoughts:

Overall, I think this is a very nice receiver. I can overlook the lacking of analog audio on component as this can upscale to 1080p via HDMI, and BTW, does this very nicely. Video is clean and crisp and shows the quality of Yamaha. The layout of the remote is nice and simple to use, as well as the controls on the receiver. The rear was well thought out too, however, having a little more room between the speaker terminals would have been nice. Guys with big hands and fingers may have trouble getting the speaker wires in. Banana plugs may be your only way out. ;) I give this receiver a 8 out of 10.

Joeteck
Joe get some screw on type banana plugs from monoprice. It makes life much easier.

Nice review.

Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
I know that feeling. Just make sure you tin the wire. Makes life much easier.
I use banana plugs on my other setups, just not here... No joke, it took me about 20 minutes to wire up the receiver with 7 speakers...:eek:If I had the room, I would have used banana plugs in a heart beat. That picture of the wall mount is my setup..

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was not aware of this, and you really can't find out about it until you own the product. Or read a review such as this. The Optical and Coaxial inputs are NOT assignable.
Thanks for the review, Joe!

BTW, I knew those weren't assignable because I checked the manual - and it's one of the reasons why I recommended to a friend not to get that receiver. I completely agree that's a step backwards last year's models.

I check out the specs and manuals of receivers that I'm thinking about getting or recommending, and most manufacturers have them available on their websites.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Having non assignable optical and coaxial inputs is completely unacceptable IMO, wtf is Yamaha thinking here?

Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
Having non assignable optical and coaxial inputs is completely unacceptable IMO, wtf is Yamaha thinking here?

I agree. My Pioneer VSX-816K from 2006 has assignable inputs....and was a whopping $249..:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis