YAMAHA RX-V596 SPEAKER TROUBLE

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
Hello all!

My name is Victor. I'm a brand new member of the forums. Recently, I received a Yamaha receiver for free. The owner said it did not work with his speakers. But did work with his previous speakers. (Not really sure how. Maybe he just wanted to get rid of it) I brought it home and got a loaner working speaker and wires.

I hooked the speaker (it's a left side Samsung speaker) to both the left and right side speaker connections on the back. Nothing. However! When hooking up the speaker to the bottom portion (center and rear) it worked flawlessly!

My question is. Are there ways to troubleshoot this mess and see if I can come up with something? I know it's a specific problem and a shot in the dark. And I will be downloading the manual shortly. But figured I'd ask here first. I did open up the receiver as well. Just to see if I can find anything wrong visually. There was one brown wire that was disconnected.

I have attached pics of everything. The blue circle on the back of receiver are the connectors the speaker worked with.

The red circle is of the brown wire that was loose.

I do have a voltmeter and a soldering gun. And would love to fix the issue. (I fix motorcycles so I'm savvy around electronics and components..but not like this...and not this small!)

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you so much!

NOTE: pics couldn't be uploaded. Says file is too large. Odd.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all!

My name is Victor. I'm a brand new member of the forums. Recently, I received a Yamaha receiver for free. The owner said it did not work with his speakers. But did work with his previous speakers. (Not really sure how. Maybe he just wanted to get rid of it) I brought it home and got a loaner working speaker and wires.

I hooked the speaker (it's a left side Samsung speaker) to both the left and right side speaker connections on the back. Nothing. However! When hooking up the speaker to the bottom portion (center and rear) it worked flawlessly!

My question is. Are there ways to troubleshoot this mess and see if I can come up with something? I know it's a specific problem and a shot in the dark. And I will be downloading the manual shortly. But figured I'd ask here first. I did open up the receiver as well. Just to see if I can find anything wrong visually. There was one brown wire that was disconnected.

I have attached pics of everything. The blue circle on the back of receiver are the connectors the speaker worked with.

I do have a voltmeter and a soldering gun. And would love to fix the issue. (I fix motorcycles so I'm savvy around electronics and components..but not like this...and not this small!)

If you connected one speaker to the left and right outputs at the same time, then you have ruined that receiver instantly. If you did it one at a time, then maybe we can help you sort it out.

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
If you connected one speaker to the left and right outputs at the same time, then you have ruined that receiver instantly. If you did it one at a time, then maybe we can help you sort it out.
Hey,
I only connected it to the left than the right. One at a time

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey,
That is a very early analog AV receiver. It is no use for video, as we are long passed the analog sunset.

It could be used for audio only, but I suspect the right and left amps are blown. Download the instruction manual and see if inputs and outputs have to be assigned.

It will be tricky as it will only connect to a vintage TV. To be honest that unit is not much use now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello all!

If using a pc right click on the picture file and select edit which will take you to paint, which has a resizing feature...I usually use 30-35 percent.

A good first step would be to run a factory/microprocessor reset for the avr per its manual ( assuming that model has such).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Be careful not to mix and match A and B speaker terminals wires. Then, make sure the selected terminals are the ones that are turned ON.
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 9.59.05 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.09.00 AM.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey,
I have been busy today. I am home now and have downloaded the 67 page user manual.

That is a unit from the VCR era. It does have an optical and RCA digital in. So you could get audio from your TV to it, by connecting to the optical out of your TV.

Set up is required to enable inputs. However if you are getting sound from the center on an input, you should have sound from the right and left inputs. Make sure you have the speaker selector connected to the terminals you connected the speaker to, so A for A and B for B.

There are limited reset options which are cumbersome and listed on page 48. However if you have speakers connected to the correct left and right output, you should have sound no matter what. If you don't, I would say that is a very bad omen.

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
Hello all!! Good news!

The receiver works! All sides of all speakers. Thank you so much for the advice. Turns out I just needed to get the copper wires deeper in the back side. And then on the speakers A and B on the front.

But now...this leads to my next question. I have this clean. Working receiver. I noticed that I need a few things. The one speaker I borrowed, I have to return. What are my options? I want something that isn't so tall. Something short would just fit better in my one bedroom apt. I do already have a used subwoofer. So I'm good on that. Also...any recommendations for what wires to get? And finally, what antenna? I noticed the radio signal improved a TON when I made contact to the antenna jack with my Ham radio antenna. The sound was so crisp.

Once again, I'm new to all of this. But I'm happy I have a working unit. Thank you all very much!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on getting it working. Looks like the main speakers on your unit have binding posts, you comfortable with those now? Usually better than the spring-clip type it looks like you have for the center/surrounds.

What's your budget for speakers? Maybe start here https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews

You can get perfectly fine speaker wire at your local hardware/home improvement store generally and many other places, Amazon and Monoprice are good online sources.. Don't fall for the wire bullshit out there....maybe start with this http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I'm not up on my antennas, radio reception isn't something I have much of where I am....but does that have a budget, too?

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
Thank you for the quick response! As far as budget.. I will save up and buy what's good. Buy once, cry once little at a time... I'll have all the needed components.

As far as antenna... I think anything would be good. I'm just not sure what fits!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can't somehow just use your ham radio antenna? They describe your antenna options on pages 11/12 of your manual (do you need a copy?).

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
Hello all! I once again come with a few questions, to answer lovinthehd, sadly, I cannot plug up my ham radio antenna. But I did find something decent on eBay to try out. So no worries there. Now that I know how to connect the speakers and how to work the system ... My next question is how to connect it to my record player or TV.

I downloaded the manual and have read through it. It's pretty simple...other than the TV I want to connect it to is a smart TV I got 6 months ago. Non the less, it has an optical cable AND the white/red inputs.

Would connecting the TV be as easy as buying a long enough optical cable and connecting it from TV to the receiver?

For Turntable, the only inputs are red/white. So I'm guessing it's a simple red/white to red/white connection and I'm good to go!

Please let me know if this sounds silly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, an optical of appropriate length would give you the best audio from tv sources for your gear (can handle multi-channel audio whereas your analog red/white are limited to 2 ch stereo).

What record player is it? There are some variables there.

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
Yes, an optical of appropriate length would give you the best audio from tv sources for your gear (can handle multi-channel audio whereas your analog red/white are limited to 2 ch stereo).

What record player is it? There are some variables there.
The turn table is a techplay cta99 turntable. Definitely far from fancy ..or even good. Something my GF had standing around our apt for a while. Figured it would be good to test out the receiver with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, that doesn't look all that attractive but don't find much detail. The cartridge may be an AudioTechnica 3600L from the Techplay "parts" page. Seems it may have an internal phono stage, and if so wouldn't use the phono input on the receiver but rather another input but not sure what it offers in the way of connection other than an headphone jack from what I see. What kind of connections does it offer? Did you retain a manual for it?

V

VicSev93

Audiophyte
Yes, that doesn't look all that attractive but don't find much detail. The cartridge may be an AudioTechnica 3600L from the Techplay "parts" page. Seems it may have an internal phono stage, and if so wouldn't use the phono input on the receiver but rather another input but not sure what it offers in the way of connection other than an headphone jack from what I see. What kind of connections does it offer? Did you retain a manual for it?
Hey! Yea it only offers red/white inputs on the back of it. I thought that would be enough to connect to receiver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey! Yea it only offers red/white inputs on the back of it. I thought that would be enough to connect to receiver
I saw more about an aux input and a headphone (output) and not the analog l/r rca (output) connections and nothing about any needed phono stage or other in my initial search, so searched some more. Looked at the AT cartridge details a bit more, at first thought it was a typical moving magnet type but it is a ceramic instead so it doesn't need the RIAA eq in a typical phono stage, so choose another input on the receiver that accommodates the analog input, but not the one marked "phono" as that will apply the RIAA eq for moving magnet (MM) cartridges. If it only has the jacks on the back of the record player, just some typical rca patch cords would be needed to make the connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis