Yamaha RX-V592 audio problem

B

Bill Simpson

Audiophyte
I'm new to this forum and am (at least I was) pretty good when it comes to stereo equipment.
I have a Yamaha RX-V592 stereo receiver that up to a few months ago was sounding great. I won't go into the details of everything I have connected to it but the problem is this: Regardless of what input I have selected, the audio starts off very muffled, like lacking "treble". If I raise the volume enough, the 'treble' kicks in and everything sounds great. After a few minutes, the sounds goes muffled again, I increase the volume, and all is ok. This repeats for at least 20 - 30 minutes, maybe more, and eventually will continue to sound OK. It used to do it sometimes but now it is every time I use the receiver. It is 17+years old and obviously there is an audio circuit problem. Is this fixable without spending hundreds of dollars? The receiver has and continues to work flawlessly EXCEPT for this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm new to this forum and am (at least I was) pretty good when it comes to stereo equipment.
I have a Yamaha RX-V592 stereo receiver that up to a few months ago was sounding great. I won't go into the details of everything I have connected to it but the problem is this: Regardless of what input I have selected, the audio starts off very muffled, like lacking "treble". If I raise the volume enough, the 'treble' kicks in and everything sounds great. After a few minutes, the sounds goes muffled again, I increase the volume, and all is ok. This repeats for at least 20 - 30 minutes, maybe more, and eventually will continue to sound OK. It used to do it sometimes but now it is every time I use the receiver. It is 17+years old and obviously there is an audio circuit problem. Is this fixable without spending hundreds of dollars? The receiver has and continues to work flawlessly EXCEPT for this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
That is an old pro logic receiver and has virtually no market value. It is impossible to say what the problem is without having it on the bench.

You might narrow it down a little to see if this problem also involves the headphone jack.

However it needs a service tech, and once it goes though the service door the charge will be more than it is worth. You really can't ask for an estimate either, as most of the cost is finding the problem. You will be obligated to pay that much if you give the go ahead.

Then you will have the problem of parts not being available. It is of an age where it will use specific chip sets, and it is highly likely it will need a part no longer available.

The older generation of two channel stereo receivers with discrete transistors can pretty much be kept going for ever. They are also more reliable, which is why they are worth more money and sort after. Unfortunately pretty much no one has an interest in the type of unit you have.

My advice is to take it to the recycling center and not roll the dice at a service center.

B

Bill Simpson

Audiophyte
Thanks TLS Guy... That's what I was afraid of. I guess it served me well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis