Yamaha RX-V531 Inputs Outputs Help

Scooter1960

Scooter1960

Audiophyte
Hi,guys, I am brand new mind you I have been getting mailings and watching on Youtube. Anyway I have always been into Audio but two channel analog. I have recently Purchased a Yam RX-V561, so in trying to get help I stumbled upon a thread here on AH, where a new fellow was inquiring about his purchasing a Yam Rx V561, same as mine. He states and accurately so that he cant find much about this particular model on the web.
His question was along the lines that he was buying a PS3 ? And he wanted to know if by HDMI could he get I think DTS. I am unsure of what exactly was written because I cant find the article again. So my query and sort of reply is that I do use my Yam AV with mostly HDMI and right now listening to music with my Laptop through the Yam AV however the Yam has only two HDMI in`s and a single out. I have to run my Roku stick rite into the TV which is an older Emerson Flat with 3 HDMI`s in`s. What I really want to know is should I purchase an HDMI extension box to be able to run my Roku, Laptop, Toshibia DVD/CD player recorder through? Again I am very familiar with Analog Gear having been an enthusiast since 1972 when we were running Tubes and Of course a little later MOSFET Amp`s oh the good days! I have even build a couple amps including a full twin Mono System using ILP modules if any of you`s haven't heard of ILP`s and want to play, Google em. Getting back on track, rite now the way I have it configured is I have to have my D TV switched to HDMI in this case #3 to listen but it takes the TV away, meaning while wired the way it is now my laptop is mirrored on the TV and I would love it to just have my Digital music files play into my Yam AV leaving the TV alone for whatever?
Second question if I may, is these receivers have the speaker output posts on the rear with the top row being surround F/R, Center, and Front L/R (B). Below is outputs for Front R/L, (A)? I have two Energys and two Fluances surrounds all hooked into the Top (B) leaving the (A) below empty, Now I do switch the AV to stereo, Direct Stereo and play around with all the formats IE: Enhancer 2 channel and 5 channel Enhanced Surround Decode, Hall, Music, Game etc. But I cant seem to find a place were I feel I am just listening to good old 2 Chanel Stereo? Unless I am? And through this receiver it`s just "Junk" ?? I must be missing something here, I have the operation manual which I printed out, have been to the Yamaha site and read for hours trying familiar myself with this new, to me stuff, I cant just Hook Up one of the many Amps and Receivers I had due to Crack heads that broke in twice and cleaned me out of all my years of collecting my Babies having to start all over in this Joy of ours semi retired is real hard. Thanks in advance to any help explaining all this to me.
Scott

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That was hard to read man. What, specifically are you going for here? What are your expectations? Have you tried running YPAO at all? I've found that room correction software works very well in my room.

Found a copy of your owner's manual online. You can also download the PDF. You might find some answers there.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Welcome to the Forum Scooter.

You first Question is:

What I really want to know is should I purchase an HDMI extension box to be able to run my Roku, Laptop, Toshibia DVD/CD player recorder through?

As your Receiver doesn't process the latest Lossless HD sound codecs from DTS & Dolby (available only when you use HDMI connections) you can look to connect any of the 3 (Roku, Laptop, Toshibia DVD/CD) via RCA connections instead. I'd probably connect the Toshibia DVD/CD to the Component (Video) connections on the upper left (on the rear of the receiver) and use either the Optical or Coaxial Audio input on the extreme left (on the rear of the receiver).

Your second Question: (I'm paraphrasing here) How do I get un-processed 2 Channel stereo from two Energys and two Fluances surrounds connected to the upper row of speaker connections?

The bottom row is for another set of speakers in a second listening area (or zone as some OEMs put it - see page 33 in the pdf manual - Thanks Pogre). The top row is for a 5.1 Home Theater set-up. I assume your Energy speakers are connected correctly as the Fronts (see page 12) as are the Fluance surrounds. There are a lot of various pre-configured settings called Scenes on this receiver. (Supposedly to make is simpler for the user to get right into the desired video or listening mode.) What you need to select for CDs in clean stereo is called CD HiFi listening (see page 30). Or as an alternate, Select your source (DVD to play the Toshibia DVD/CD); ensure it's working and sound is produced at moderate volume; then press Direct Stereo (See page 34).

I hope this is helpful. Sorry to hear about the crack heads.

Scooter1960

Scooter1960

Audiophyte
That was hard to read man. What, specifically are you going for here? What are your expectations? Have you tried running YPAO at all? I've found that room correction software works very well in my room.

Found a copy of your owner's manual online. You can also download the PDF. You might find some answers there.
Thanks for the reply, "Hard To Read" yes I should know better than to have a couple O cold ones when writing! I do have the manual and I guess what I am getting at is any answers at all will go a-ways to helping get up to speed fast. Like I said this is my first AV Receiver and all this digital audio processing is new to me. Like what modes to use for what signals but have been getting a few newer audiophile magazines to explain all this and this weekend I did learn alot in that area also Hanns Beekhuyzen`s YT Channel explains alot. I haven't used the YPAO yet as I dont think I am there yet, I need to connect it properly first, and the reply from Jim below confirms that.
Jim, I get the second zone now, so is that to say if I wired another pair of speakers to those outputs I would only be able to use in two channel I assume? (Which is fine) Yes the Energies are my two fronts and Fluances are my rear or in my case they can only be a few inches behind and of course to the side pointed at my position. I am using a Cerwin Vega Center speaker as well. My DVD/CD is Toshibia D-R6, so old enough not to have an optical connection however it does have HDMI and of course all the RCA connections plus a Digital Coaxial marked digital optical output PCM/Bitstream. So I will connect as you say. My Roku is a Stick and is only HDMI.The "Screen" thing I dont understand 100%, so far I use it just to switch between devices with the remote then I change to 5 channel Ehh, etc. I got lost when reading about "Screen Templates " . So Thank you very much Guys I will look at these reply's over the next day or so and try to make better sense of it all, hope it`s ok to ask more if needed?
Thanks
P.S. The C Heads also got both my turntables, Jerks didn't even get away with them they got dropped from the top of the second floor landing it seems, sold for parts on Kijiji now. I am planning on a new turn table by months end, and since this receiver dosnt have a Phonopre in I presume I need a Table with a preamp built in or a separate? I will address where to connect when I get there.
And of course I hope this post is easier to read it`s late but the only time I get for this.
Again thanks much!
Scott

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
You are correct on the second zone being stereo only. The lack of an Optical output on the Toshibia D-R6 is really no hindrance. It's a DVD Player recorder, and probably from Canada as I can find no US reference.

Running YPAO can be done just for practice, and to get you familiar with your receiver. It should make your system sound better. You seem to lack only a Sub for a 5.1 system but a 5.0 system can sound decent.

Sorry to hear about the Turntables. If (when?) you get another you will need one with a phono preamp built in or a separate unit.

Learning this stuff takes time to digest, and is best done a little at a time so you enjoy the progress made. ;)

Scooter1960

Scooter1960

Audiophyte
Thanks, very much for your time guys, it is really appreciated! Come along way with just this one post. I am tonight going to run the YPAO. And spend some more time navigating this site, as I am sure most question have probably been answered, another forum I am on pertaining to a completely different Interest is like that, you get people asking questions when with a little searching around can be seen to have already been addressed.
So again Thanks very much!!
Scott

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Paragraphs help readability :)

Might try searching with google with this format "(your question/phrase you're searching) site:audioholics.com" that way you get both articles and forum results at once....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis