Yamaha Rx-V363 - Vizio TV (surround sound)

W

welshie

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I am a novice to home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-V363 Receiver a Vizio flat screen TV and I'm about to purchase a Blu-Ray player to replace my crappy old DVD player. I have everything connected to the Receiver with HDMI and I have 5 speakers connected to the receiver. Surround sound works fine on some settings of the receiver. I was under the impression that HDMI carried video and audio. However, when we watch anything on TV (playing a DVD or just watching TV) then the sound comes out of the TV speakers when I was hoping it was going to come out of the surround sound speakers.

Can somebody please give me a "Dummies, 101, Crash Course" on how I need to connect things up to maximize my listening pleasure while being able to enjoy the surround sound speakers while watching TV and DVD's?

Thanks in advance,

-Welshie

PS. I am reasonably confident that HDMI does not carry audio on this Yamaha entry level unit and that I need to run an additional cable between the receiver and the TV. I checked my manual and in there it says that "Audio signals input at the HDMI Jack are not output from any speaker terminals but output from the connected video monitor. To enjoy sound from speakers connected to this unit:
  • Make an Analog or Digital connection besides the HDMI connection
  • Mute the volume of the connected video monitor"
If I knew how to attach documents then I can attach the relevant pages from the manual in PDF format. Can somebody please help me get surround sound working when we're watching a DVD or TV?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi All,

I am a novice to home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-V363 Receiver a Vizio flat screen TV and I'm about to purchase a Blu-Ray player to replace my crappy old DVD player. I have everything connected to the Receiver with HDMI and I have 5 speakers connected to the receiver. Surround sound works fine on some settings of the receiver. I was under the impression that HDMI carried video and audio. However, when we watch anything on TV (playing a DVD or just watching TV) then the sound comes out of the TV speakers when I was hoping it was going to come out of the surround sound speakers.

Can somebody please give me a "Dummies, 101, Crash Course" on how I need to connect things up to maximize my listening pleasure while being able to enjoy the surround sound speakers while watching TV and DVD's?

Thanks in advance,

-Welshie

PS. I am reasonably confident that HDMI does not carry audio on this Yamaha entry level unit and that I need to run an additional cable between the receiver and the TV. I checked my manual and in there it says that "Audio signals input at the HDMI Jack are not output from any speaker terminals but output from the connected video monitor. To enjoy sound from speakers connected to this unit:
  • Make an Analog or Digital connection besides the HDMI connection
  • Mute the volume of the connected video monitor"
If I knew how to attach documents then I can attach the relevant pages from the manual in PDF format. Can somebody please help me get surround sound working when we're watching a DVD or TV?
From my understanding, HDMI on your model only passes through video and not audio. Therefore, what you need to do is connect the digital audio out (either coax or optical) from the DVD/Bluray of the player to the DVD/BluRay input of the receiver. The reason you're getting sound from the TV is you have the analog outputs of the player connected to the inputs of the TV. It has nothing to do with the monitor input/output of the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis