Yamaha RX-V2700: low impedance sorrounds

W

wizbang

Audiophyte
I've just brought a Yamaha RX-V2700 (mainly for it's multi-zone capabilities).

I then brought a pair of Castle Conway 3 speakers for mains (8 ohm), and 3 Polkaudio LC60i (4 ohm) for centre, and surround.

I plan to also run a two other zones using the other amplified channels.

I've just read the RX-V2700 manual and I think I have a problem. It appears 4 ohm support is for the fronts only.

I brought all this on line based on reviews, and being a bit of a newbie in the audio stakes, hadn't realised impedance might be a problem. Ohh the value of in store advice.

Do I need to start listing the Polkadio's back on Ebay?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
It may depend on your listening levels. If you don't crank it too loud for an extended period you might be okay. The surrounds wouldn't be too bad as they're not in costant use, the center may be a diiferent issue.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Castle center

You might considered using the castle center channel speaker for a better front sound stage.

For what it is worth, I was using my lower end Yamaha HTR-5860 to drive my 4 ohm Onix ref 1 speakers at moderate volumes without any problems. I don't think your receiver will have any problems with the polks. Just make sure that you have adequate ventalation.

O

Ohmen

Audioholic
I beleive in the RX-V2700 review here on Audioholics it said that you should probably just leave the impedance setting set to 8 even if you have lower impedance speakers. Here's a quote from the review

"Choosing the Speaker Impedance (IMPORTANT PLEASE READ)
Yamaha still ships their receivers with the dreaded impedance selector switch. It’s a bit more involving to switch the default setting “8 ohms or more” and I wont tell you how since this is the optimal setting regardless of speaker impedance."

T

Tyreman

Audioholic Intern
I would try running them....as impedance isn't a constant value anyway it varies

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis