gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You saw our review of the RX-V2400, we would like to hear what you think. Here is the place to voice your opinion.

R

Raphie

Audiophyte
Purchased this one 6 weeks ago. I upgraded from my Yamaha RXV- 1300. Have to say it sounds awesome. now playing around with my Pioneer 868 to find out what DAC i like better, both via coaxial (utilizing Yamaha DAC) and analoque (Pioneer DAC with 24bits upsampling) sound great. I had the same experience with the auto setup > speakers mentioned as out of phase while in phase and too much low taken away from the main speakers. So did the whole auto setup, but turned of the EQ (which i found out can be turned of by the straight function as well :)

Overall very happy and glad i did the upgrade

Attachments

R

Raphie

Audiophyte
The cabinet is from Spectral ( www.spectral.nl ) and is brushed steel crystal glass. they have a lot of different styles and you can built your own rack from standard components as well.

R

Ricky

Enthusiast
gene,
thanks for your valuble review. i am sure it is going to help many others out there. i myself had this reciever [borrowed from a friend of mine ] for two weeks. it sounded great with my B&W speakers. but i am still in love with my RX-Z1 and hope to upgrade it in the rear future. waiting for your Z9 review. THANKS!

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
gene said:
You saw our review of the RX-V2400, we would like to hear what you think. Here is the place to voice your opinion.
Gene-

Thanks for the review! I found it extremely useful and will refer to it when I setup my system. I recently purchased my RXV-2400 and am waiting for my theatre room to be completed...

In your summary, you suggested abandoning "the internal amp sections for the five main channels in favor of a dedicated multi channel amp...". I am currently considering doing just that. I have a 7.1 speaker system with two JAMO D870s and a D8CEN for my front L, R, and Center channels. The front speakers are all 4 ohm speakers that can be bi-wired. Can you recommend some amps for me to check out?

Thanks!

T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
Gene,

Thanks for your review - it's very helpful. Since the Yamaha RX-V2500 is coming out soon, I hope you can do another. I plan to wait and see if the new model applied some of your recommendations before purchasing a new AVR.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I currently have a Z1 and feel that it may be overkill with my new home and may sell it and downgrade to the 2500 when it becomes available. I am really looking to maximize the use of the product by utilizing all three zones it provides and want to do a full 9.1 setup with it. But, I would love to hear more from people who have used the 2400 and what their thoughts are. Especially their complaints.

Thanks!

U

Unregistered

Rxv 2400

I have owned a 2400 for almost a year, and I can't wait to replace it with seperates. Before the Yamaha I had a HK 125, and overall I was much happier with the HK. Reasons I dislike my 2400 (and would never own another Yamaha):
- Poor setup menus. This goes hand in hand with a poor manual that is unclear on many setup functions.
- Inconsistant autosetup. The autosetup , which is one of the reasons I bought the Yammie, is confusing and yields innacurate and inconsistant results. I bypass the autosetup and do the calibration myself.
- Really bad 2ch performance, even in Yamaha's so called "straight" mode
- While Yamaha claims 120 WPC, it doesn't even come close to this while driving 5 or 7 speakers.
- High operating temps. I have had to send the unit back once already to have a transformer replaced. I have more than adequate ventilation for the unit.
- Very poor remote. I didn't realize how bad the remote was til I used a friends Rotel remote at his house. Lots of small, un-backlit buttons.
- No bass LFE outout in 2ch mode
- All kinds of useless DSP modes I never use.
- Overall bright sound that I like less and less every time I use the receiver. This is especially true after auditioning a few seperates.
- Only 2 component inputs. This is kind of nitpicky, because almost all AVR's and preamps don't have enough.
- The unit has been unable to decode DTS on a few DVD's. I unplugged the DVD and plugged in my 6 year old HK and it was able to read the DTS soundtracks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis