Yamaha RX-A 60 AVENTAGE AV Receivers Offer a Significant Important Update!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It makes no difference to me that Yamaha tweaked their protection circuits to give better results as this test is kind of useless and unrealistic. Yamaha power delivery is not an issue and bests most other manufacturers (model equivalent comparison) in the 2 channels test based on Audioholic's reviews of the older generation A series.:)
Agree, their 2 channel output typically (though not always) tested higher than similarly priced D&M, Anthem, NAD AVRs. That's good enough for me because I don't even worry about ACD capabilities. For the kind of music I listened to, even SACDs don't need ACD to be all any more than 50WPC, as long as the mains and centers are capable of their rated output simultaneously.

YammyFan72

YammyFan72

Enthusiast
I plan on getting an RX-A1050 soon. Can anyone tell me what advantages and features the new 1060 would have over the 1050? Is the internal build quality still the same? Symmetrical amp design, dual heat sinks, etc.?

I watched Gene's video and read the reviews, but as far as I can tell the only advantages of any significance are the advanced manual PEQ and multi-zone/subwoofer controls, which I'm not sure at this point that I would use.

I could get the outgoing 1050 at a significant discount off the MSRP, but I'm asking for opinions to see if there's anything you feel would justify waiting around for a 1060.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I plan on getting an RX-A1050 soon. Can anyone tell me what advantages and features the new 1060 would have over the 1050? Is the internal build quality still the same? Symmetrical amp design, dual heat sinks, etc.?

I watched Gene's video and read the reviews, but as far as I can tell the only advantages of any significance are the advanced manual PEQ and multi-zone/subwoofer controls, which I'm not sure at this point that I would use.

I could get the outgoing 1050 at a significant discount off the MSRP, but I'm asking for opinions to see if there's anything you feel would justify waiting around for a 1060.
if you don't care about manual PEQ, save your money and get the 1050 model.

Midas

Midas

Audiophyte
Has Yamaha said anything about pushing an SW update for the CX-A5100, enabling 15Hz PEQ on the subs? I believe it's the same DSP-architecture on the 5100 as on the 60 family. Getting 15Hz PEQ support is something I've sorely been missing from it. (And I've heard nothing about a CX-A5200 in this round.)

E

Eli512

Audiophyte
Actually the RX-A850 didn't support DTS:X, only Dolby Atmos. With the previous generation you needed the RX-A1050 or higher to get the DTS:X firmware update.

Midas

Midas

Audiophyte
I read here that the entire portfolio get PEQ down to 15Hz, but is that really correct? From the previous model, every model from RX-A10*0 and below din't have PEQ capability on the sub output at all. (Since it has only one DSP). Have they added PEQ to the lower models in the range as well? If they have, then this is bigger news than having added 15Hz PEQ, IMHO.

R

Richie Savage

Audiophyte
I just watched the video review of the 2016 Aventage receivers. One of the things that made me excited was the discussion about the RX-860 having independent subwoofer outputs. However, I can't find that documented anywhere... not even in Yamaha's user manual. Can anyone confirm or deny that statement?

I'm trying to decide between RX-A860 and the Marantz's 2015 SR6010 which supports DTS:X (with a firmware upgrade) and already has independent subwoofer outputs (the other option is the Denon AVR-X4200)

The primary reason for my upgrade is to pick up a receiver that supports HDCP 2.2, I've always been a Yamaha fan but seems they are a step behind.

Please help.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
I just watched the video review of the 2016 Aventage receivers. One of the things that made me excited was the discussion about the RX-860 having independent subwoofer outputs. However, I can't find that documented anywhere... not even in Yamaha's user manual. Can anyone confirm or deny that statement?

I'm trying to decide between RX-A860 and the Marantz's 2015 SR6010 which supports DTS:X (with a firmware upgrade) and already has independent subwoofer outputs (the other option is the Denon AVR-X4200)

The primary reason for my upgrade is to pick up a receiver that supports HDCP 2.2, I've always been a Yamaha fan but seems they are a step behind.

Please help.
Hi...on page 150 of the manual:

Subwoofer Out x 2 (SUBWOOFER 1-2, mono) (emphasis mine)

Which means they are tied together. Do you have a speacial requirement for stereo LFE?

edit: Im confused why you are comparing 2 $1100+ receivers with a 900 one? For equal comparison, why not look at the Yamaha 1060 or even the 2060 which is in price line with the Denon...

Last edited:
D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
I read here that the entire portfolio get PEQ down to 15Hz, but is that really correct? From the previous model, every model from RX-A10*0 and below din't have PEQ capability on the sub output at all. (Since it has only one DSP). Have they added PEQ to the lower models in the range as well? If they have, then this is bigger news than having added 15Hz PEQ, IMHO.
760 and above have PEQ down to 15.6htz.

From the 760 manual page 113:

Use the Cursor keys to select a center frequency
from the 7 preset bands (4 for subwoofer) and the Cursor keys to adjust the gain.

Setting range
Center frequency: 15.6 Hz to 16.0kHz (15.6 Hz to 250.0 Hz for subwoofer)

The same adjustments are available (according the manual) for every Aventage line 760 and above.

Last edited:
R

Richie Savage

Audiophyte
Hi...on page 150 of the manual:

Subwoofer Out x 2 (SUBWOOFER 1-2, mono) (emphasis mine)

Which means they are tied together. Do you have a speacial requirement for stereo LFE?

edit: Im confused why you are comparing 2 $1100+ receivers with a 900 one? For equal comparison, why not look at the Yamaha 1060 or even the 2060 which is in price line with the Denon...
No real need for stereo LFE. Actually, my existing Yamaha receiver only supports one sub preout. However since I'm upgrading I wanted to make sure I'm getting as much bang for my buck as possible... just in case there ever were a need. To answer your second question, those are the entry point for that line with independent preout. Before watching the video I was considering the A850 (however no DTS:X). After watching the video, they seemed excited by the Stereo LFE so, thought it must me a big deal so I shifted my consideration to the A860.... at least is has DTS:X. However a year later...

M

Mikestahl

Audiophyte
In a major announcement this week , Yamaha unveiled their new and updated premium AVENTAGE RX-A 60 Series network Atmos/DTS:X AV receivers, one our favorite lines of AV receivers on the market. The RX-A 60 series is a little more than a refresh of the series predecessor. ALL of the models (starting at $649) in this line up support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The RX-A3060 sports 64 bit precision for enhanced YPAO capabilities and DSP overlay on Atmos and DTS:X.

Best of all, Yamaha even took our suggestion to change their manual PEQ so it now works down to 15Hz which allows for useful subwoofer EQ correction.

Read: Yamaha RX-A 60 AVENTAGE AV Receivers Offer a Significant Important Update!
Gene do u reccomend A760 over Onkyo tx nr550? For 4k

M

MNSLD2

Audiophyte
I do not see much info about the sound quality specially for music listeners with Aventage. Every other AVR (high end) have best of the specs or technology today.
I would like to read regarding A/B comparison of similar range products that are known for amazimg audio and DAC quality for people who wants to enjoy music with their integrated modern AVR; like Onkyo RZ, Cambridge and NAD AV receivers.
I would love to read suchcomparison and views from audioholic team.
Thanks
Mn

G

Gys Florian

Enthusiast
Hi,

Firmware 2.04 is out for Yamaxa Preamp CX-A5100 : it does add the capability of correcting frequency below 31Hz for subwoofer ;-)

Enjoy!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis